9.5

$3,090.00

1. replace transmission (4 reports)
2002 Volkswagen Golf transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Golf:

2002 Volkswagen Golf Owner Comments

Dec 132011

Golf GLS 2.0L

I am a car guy, meaning that I have had over 20 cars - mostly German, mostly VW. While I dearly love my 2003 VW Jetta wagon (1.8T 5SPD), I can no longer even look at my wife's 2002 VW Golf.

I spent more to fix that car's transmission (it failed at 77,600 miles to the tune of $3020.13) than I have paid anyone to work on any of my cars ever since I started driving 24 years ago.

Volkswagen, this is is a disgrace. The ONLY reason that I am still driving a VW is that there is a severe lack of sport hatches and compact sportwagons in the US.

SHAME ON YOU VOLKSWAGEN!!!!

I have steered everyone I know away from ANY VW with an automatic

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 302007

Golf

Having always wanted a VW I finally got one. My brother sold me his car which was only 12mths old so I know it was well taken care of. I wanted a good car because we were planning a family and thought that the safety and reliability of a VW would be perfect. So much for reliability!!! At only 55,000 km the transmission needs an overhaul and VW don't seem to think that this is anything that they should be responsible for. Admittedly the car is out of warranty but come on surely a car of this calibre should not experience such a significant problem at such low km. The car is automatic so I haven't been thrashing the gears and it simply gets me to work, childcare and back - so I am not traveling all over the country side with it. I guess my frustration is the complete lack of interest from VW who pretty much stated 'too bad too sad'. Maybe I should picket out the front of a different dealership each week to warn prospective buyers of the risks they take in buying a VW. If anyone has had similar experiences or successes in negotiating with VW please let me know. Bernadette L

- , Sydney, NSW, Australia

Jan 172007

Golf GTI 1.8T

FIRST OFF, I THOUGHT VWS WERE ENGINEERED ALOT BETTER THAN WHAT THEY COME TO BE. I FEEL AS A CONSUMER OF VW THAT THEY SHOULD PAY FOR THE TRANSMISSIONS (YEAH NOT JUST ONE), 2 TRANSMISSION I HAD TO REPLACE FOR A TOTAL OF ABOUT $2500. NOW THIS ONE HAS GONE OUT. SAME PROBLEM EVERY TIME. (NO FIRST GEAR)------------------- IN CONCLUSION I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER VW AGAIN.

- , Cleveland, TN, USA

Sep 202006

Golf

I'm here in Australia. For a young 'pup' having only clocked 90,000km. to have the transmission blow... bugger. Just out of warranty. Yeah, wouldn't that be the case!! Has been 1 owner,(me) fully serviced, never driven by a teenager (as suggested) and Volkswagen only wants to pay 50% of the overall cost to install a re-conditioned transmission. cost to me in excess of $4,000. Aussie $'s. NEW transmission would cost $15,000. So much for their ' Engineering Excellence'. Very very very disappointed and no longer a 'proud' owner of Volkswagen Golf. Don't bother..90,000Km.. a new transmission... ridiculous.. and they don't care...'cause its out of warranty'!!

- , Bonbeach, VIC, Australia