3.6

2013 Volkswagen Golf engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Volkswagen Golf:

2013 Volkswagen Golf Owner Comments

Aug 212016

Golf

Driving at highway speed (60mph) engine shut down abrubtly and glow plug warning light came on. This resulted in having to coast across three lanes of traffic with difficulty in steering and braking to narrow shoulder area. Engine would crank over but not restart. Vehicle towed to dealer. Diagnosis is high pressure fuel pump failure, a known issue with these vehicles.

- West Islip, NY, USA

Aug 052015

Golf

On 5 Aug 2015, at approximately 9:00 pm, my 2013 VW Golf tdi suddenly died while driving down a major thoroughfare in lexington, ky. I narrowly escaped being hit by a tractor trailer in the rear end when the car died. I had previously put $20 worth of diesel fuel in the car earlier that morning so the car had been driven approximately 40 miles after fueling before the car suddenly died. After the car died, it would not restart so I had the car towed to the local VW dealer in lexington, ky. I went back to the dealer the next morning (6 Aug) and dropped off the key and explained to the assistant service manager (merritt) what had happened. I called the service dept back around 3:30 later that day to check on the status and was informed that the high pressure fuel pump (hpfp) had failed. They told me that they were still diagnosing the car to determine the extent of damage and what parts were going to need replaced. Since the hpfp is a known issue in the VW diesel models, he recommended that I call corporate VW of America and open a new case which I did and provided the case number back to the dealership. Yesterday (7 Aug), I got word from the dealership that the entire fuel supply system had metal shavings in it and that all major parts were going to need replaced, fuel pump, injectors, fuel lines, etc and that the estimated bill has going to be between 5-7 thousand dollars. VW of America also contacted me yesterday and let me know that they had been in contact with the lexington dealership and told me that they would let me know by Monday, 10 Aug if they would cover the parts and labor past the warranty expiration date since the hpfp failure is a known issue on the Volkswagen tdi models. I will update this as I receive new information. I am retired military and a current federal government employee.

- Winchester, KY, USA

Jun 172014

Golf

I was sitting in traffic and when I began to accelerate the car just died in the middle of the road. I turned on my hazard lights for people could go around me so I could figure out how to get to safety. As soon as the car died I tried to turn the key to get it started again. Once I did that a bunch of lights came on and got a clicking sound once I turned the key. I then quickly put the car in park and was able to start the engine. Could be a very dangerous situation if this happened while trying to cross a dangerous intersection. I told dealer and they wrote it up but found nothing.

- Santa Rosa Beach, FL, USA

Oct 012013

Golf

I drive 50 miles one way to work. Drove car to work and parked for the day (6 am), went out after work to start car and car would not turn over. Car acted as if the motor was locked, car is a manual drive so I left car in gear and rolled back ward to bump motor. Car attempted to start and when finally started it ran very rough. Read on internet regarding possible intercooler issue and took car to dealer. Dealer found a large amount of water in intercooler. Dealer unaware of tsb for this issue but was able to find in VW data base. Tsb equipment was installed, car has worked fine until this even after work same symptoms only car did not require bumping of motor.

- Campobello , SC, USA

Sep 122014

Golf

Driving in freeway traffic at around 35-40 mph. Prior, to this incident, car has been well maintained and trouble free. Engine died, subsequently power steering stopped working and I needed to steer vehicle to shoulder of road. I consider myself to be an experienced driver and was able to adjust to situation, concerned that a less experienced driver could have had an accident in the same situation.

- Laguna Niguel , CA, USA

Feb 102014

Golf

When I turned the key to start the car, the dash lights flickered and turned dim. It sounded like it does when the car battery was dead but smoke started to come out from under the hood. As I left to get to the phone, flames started to come out of the hood. I got to a phone as soon as I could and called 911. The car was parked down the street from our house because of a snow storm. The fire department came and put out the fire but the car was destroyed.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jul 262013

Golf 4-cyl Diesel

After exiting the freeway, I was driving in stop and go traffic and the engine cut out without warning. I was unable to change lanes due to lack of power and power steering, so I tried to re-start the engine while coasting in the fast lane. The hud indicated that I had to put the car in park, so I stopped the car in the fast lane in order to do so. The engine started and I was able to drive away. The car was 6 weeks old at the time, and had about 1100 miles on the odometer.

- Woodside Rd., CA, USA