8.0

1. replace entire lock assembly (1 reports)
1996 Volkswagen Jetta accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Volkswagen Jetta:

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Sep 161998

Jetta Trek 2.0L V4

I inserted my key into the door lock and instead of opening the door, the whole lock cylinder broke and stuck on my key when I removed it from the door.

I figured that this would be either a warranty replacement or a cheap part - WRONG.

It seems that the design was faulty and most Jettas were having their door locks break so the part was completely redesigned. I asked if that constituted a recall and was told

"no way".

It turns out that I could not just buy one part and fix it myself, I had to buy a whole new assembly.

Yay again for Volkswagen engineering!

- , Salt Lake City, UT, USA