1996 Volkswagen Jetta steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Volkswagen Jetta:

1996 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Jul 282008

Jetta GLS 2.0

My car randomly smokes from my steering column. White smoke that smells a little like sulfur just pours out while I'm driving and it is extremely scary and unsafe and I'm sure its a fire hazard. My car may be old but it only has 130,000 miles and I bought it with 100,000 which is not a lot and should not have a smoking steering wheel...that is not normal wear and tear!! I've brought it to many mechanics and they all look at me like I have 3 heads because this is not normal!! I just want vw to come to realize that they made a horrible car and to fix this before it kills or seriously injures someone. I have no choice but to drive this car I'm 21 trying to succeed in life and this car is just not a good car!

- , Flemington, NJ, USA