1997 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Volkswagen Jetta:

1997 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Sep 022008

Jetta GLX V6

I have a 1997 Volkswagen Jetta V6 122,336 miles (I know it's old). My car alarm has been going off while I'm driving, and the emergency lights flashing...sometimes when I get in the car the blinking light on the drivers door will go on which means the alarm will go off. To turn the alarm off I have to pull over lock and unlock the drivers side door to turn off the alarm. Also, at times when I get in the car it wont's start, I have to lock and unlock the driver's door and then the engine will start. I took my car to the dealer and they believe it's a bad micro switch in the door, which means I have to change the door assembly, but it might not fix the problem. I am curious if you have heard of this problem before and can give me a clue as to how it can be fixed. So far it's cost me over $900 and no one can figure out how to fix the problem.

- , San Jose, CA, USA