4.0

1. need Bosch sr0405x or 8x , not sr0402x ( gas ) (1 reports)
1998 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Volkswagen Jetta:

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Oct 062014

Jetta 1.9L

I brought my VW diesel starter in to be rebuilt, as I had a couple other parts by them years ago. They tried to instead sell me a starter they had on the shelf that despite being mislabeled was "correct".

It was 1 1/2" shorter so I got suspicious it was not the extra torque needed by a diesel. I checked online and sure enough the shorter version was for gas engines, not for diesel.

Despite this they still made me pay shipping and re-stocking on the correct replacement.

Avoid Bilt-Rite in Plainville, CT. They refused to acknowledge the difference in the starters, even when 3 correct starters were sitting on a table in front of them!

- , Southington, CT, USA