1998 Volkswagen Jetta engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Volkswagen Jetta:

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

May 012006

Jetta 6-cyl

Like others, I have had the ignition coil replaced. This happened after the warranty expired, of course. I have also had electrical problems with the windows (regulator and motor) for all of them. Now, my check engine light is flashing and the car is sputtering. I know the secondary air intake valve needs replacing but it did not cause problems. Now I'm wondering if something new is wrong"?" also, I was having problems with losing coolant and had to continuously replace antifreeze. After fixing what I thought was a small leak the entire system will not produce cool air! this car has been nothing but problems and VW should look into all of these complaints.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jun 152003

My 98 Jetta tdi engine blew approximately 11,000 past its warranty. This would be the equivent of 5 months driving at the rates I drive per year. The dealership (av Nissan/VW) told me they couldn't find what caused it and that it would require a replacement engine. The dealership told VW of America, a different story then either had been related to me (that the car had been driven with warninglights on & with damage). Unfortunately when talking to VW of a. they related the story back to a non-existent employee of the dealership. I paid for the troubleshooting and towed the vehicle to a local service center (ted's service and repair) that specializes in german vehicles. He noted that the valve seat dropped into the cylinder, which caused the valve to break in the cylinder doing massive damage to the engine. He noted that when seats drop they are typically due to manufacturer defect. VW refused to cover any damages due to the recently expired warranty. Help!

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Dec 311998

Vehicle serviced several times due to engine light illuminating, replacement of the oil and ignition cable that had shorted out did not rectify problems with the intermittent engine light coming on.

- Wall, NJ, USA