1998 Volkswagen Jetta exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Volkswagen Jetta:

1998 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

May 172002

Volkswagenh of America has not been supportive or helpful in resolving these complaints nor have the Volkswagen technicians been able to diagnosis the true problem; they just fix the problem "symptoms". no safety defect listed.

- Fulton, NY, USA

Dec 281999

My lights, wipers and heat wouldn't work, discovered it was the ignition switch. Contacted VW, and dealer, they want to charge me too much to fix it. I know 3 other people with Jettas that had the same problem. Obviously VW is installing defective ignitions. My emergency brake wasn't releasing, took it to dealer and they informed me that I had a torn brake cable boot that was allowing moisture to get in and freeze my cable. The 2 yr/24,000 mile warranty was expired. My check engine light started going on and off, when I took it to the dealer, it took them 3 times to figure out it's the rear oxygen sensor. This is the first brand new car I have ever purchased and I have had more things wrong with it than I ever had with previously owned vehicles.

- Laurel, MD, USA

May 052000

I have spoken with VW and the dealership a number of times.. no one will help.

- Angel Fire, NM, USA

Feb 071999

Water sucked into air intake due to low placement design. Major engine damage.

- Redwood City, CA, USA