2001 Volkswagen Jetta brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Volkswagen Jetta:

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Aug 012005

Jetta

Earlier this year, there was a recall for the brake light switch on my 2001 VW Jetta. The dealership replaced this. However, within the last month, the automatic shift lock (asl) has not allowed me to shift out of park on numerous occasions. Usually, I am able to wait a minute and the asl light will go off, or I turn off the car or fiddle with the steering wheel. However, three times this past week I have gotten stuck and have had to abandon the car temporarily. The last time, I was finally able to get it out of park and drive it to my local mechanic (I had an appointment with my dealership, but I couldn't get in for a week). He noticed that my brake lights were out again, and believes that the brake light malfunction may be related to the asl malfunction. This may explain why the electronic power control (epc) light turns on whenever the asl light turns on, as it indicates a problem in the electronics. The local mechanic is currently examining the problem.

- Wauwatosa, WI, USA

Apr 202005

Jetta 6-cyl

1.took car to dealer for recall on emergency flasher switch recall. Dealer informed me that the brake lights were also not working. He informed me that some models of my car were recalled for the brake light switch failure but not mine because it had a standard transmision and not an automatic transmition. 2. brake light switch failure. 3. dealer diagnosed ($192 to repair brake light switch). Owner replaced brake light switch switch, lights now working ($15). 4. dealer replaced emergency flasher switch (no charge).

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 282005

Jetta 4-cyl

The brake light switch on my 2001 VW Jetta was replaced by a VW dealer in July of 2004 as a result of a recall notice from VW of America. This same switch was replaced by a VW dealer on 2/28/05 as a result of a failure.

- Brick, NJ, USA

Oct 052004

Jetta 4-cyl

Regular usage of car resulted in having to repair and replace the spark plug cables on my car.

- Leonardtown, MD, USA

Aug 242003

Jetta

I purchase a 2001 Jetta new and in about 3 yrs I have had to replace the brake light switch twice for an average life expectance of 19 months. Talking with the dealer, I was invormed that the brake light switch base no available several months ago and is now starting to become available again. Currently my mechanic has found only 1 brake light switch on the East coast. He has call the local dealers in a 100 mile radius and they do not have any, contacted VW regional and they do not have any. Interested to know if others are having the same problem. To me 19 months between switches is a little excessive to replace.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Aug 012003

Jetta

Consumer states that the vehicle was at a complete stop when another vehicle hit it in the rear. Consumer felt this was due to brake light switch failing.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 182003

Jetta 4-cyl

I own a 2001 VW Jetta gls and the gear shift locked up. I could not move the car out of park into drive or reverse. Since the warranty is 24,000 miles, I currently have 30200 and this problem occurred. VW should be responsible for this mishap due to the faulty part. The level of service at the dealership was unacceptable in getting the problem fix.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Feb 042002

Jetta

I have had trouble with this Jetta from the first day I took ownership of the vehicle. The brake assembly has been replaced. The brake light switch has been replaced. Now I have just received a new transmission in my ten month old car. The car's transmission was reset three times before Volkswagen replaced the valve body. This procedure did not work and in turn endangered my life. I was trying to get on the highway when the car would not shift and was shuddering. I was almost hit by an oncoming 18 wheeled truck. I am scared every time I have to get back in this car. The transmission has been fixed, but not my trust.

- Narragansett, RI, USA