2001 Volkswagen Jetta engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Volkswagen Jetta:

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Feb 262016

The contact owns a 2001 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle overheated and stalled without warning, the parking brake failed, and the rear driver side door had issues opening. The contact also stated that the vehicle leaked fluid. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the main coolant fan, engine valve cover gasket, both rear shock and mounts, both front strut mounts, front lower control arm bushing, and both outer tie rods needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 137,354.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Jun 202015

The car dies while driving. It has happened at different speeds both on the freeway and on the streets. The gas pedal suddenly stops working, engine shuts off. When I pull to the side and turn the ignition off and then on again, the car starts working again. I took the car to the auto shop, but the issue wasn't identified after the inspection, test driving and code reading.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 092013

On my way to an appointment 1 day last yr, I had my air conditioner on then my car starts overheating. I was panicking, I had no idea what to do, especially since this was my first car. I barely got her in 2011 and I've had endless problems with her. When she runs good, she runs great but ohh when she has problems, she brings you absolute hell. It began as a slow leak & oddly enough only leaking sometimes. We took my Jetta to a shop in valencia and got the hoses and thermostat replaced. Whatever reason the mechanics did not notice it, or noticed it & were trying to squeeze more money out of me while they did a temporary fix. Barely this year I discovered thanks to my handy mechanics savvy boyfriend - that it was my water pump which is defective. 2 injuries occurred to my boyfriend thanks to this overheating problem. Driving on the fwy we stopped to put water (religiously carrying 4 gallons of water in the car at all times) in 100* weather w/ no A/C & me being severely heat intolerant, my boyfriend took off the cap to the radiator. That's when boiling hot water exploded all over him. Luckily I'm first aid certified and had my first aid kit handy & tended to him. He began to blister instantaneously. That same incident occurred again but with my temp. Gauge reading at regular temp. Still exploding all over him. I was left traumatized seeing my boyfriend get burnt and so severely in pain, as well as my own experience when I was alone: My car shut off on me at a red light, when the light turned green the traffic coming from behind me had a slow reflex to my emergency flashers: I almost got hit 5 times: Lucky for me, my horn works. Well, now the water leaks out just as quickly as we pour it in. My car is a major safety hazard and she's all I have. I'm jobless & homeless right now & if I were to lose my car, I'd be left completely hopeless having to start from scratch again.

- Canyon Country, CA, USA

Jan 202014

Jetta 6-cyl

Beware of this used car - it needs serious mechanical work. I test drove it and realized that the transmission slips, the timing chain rattles, and the A/C did not work.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 262005

The 2001 V.w. Jetta: This vehicle burns an excessive amount of oil, approximately 1 quart per month, in daily, everday usage, city traffic and short highway trips, an exorbitant amount of oil, even with regular oil/filter changes. V.w. has not notified me of this problem, nor corrected it and dealers' will do nothing about it. The driver's side, shoddy, flip-back, plastic arm rest is broken, cheaply made, it will not retain or hold the driver's arm, it is located adjacent and near the auto. Transmission gear shift, it could and does fail, a safety hazard. Rear tail and brake lights burn-out at excessive rates, often enough for it to be a nuisance, to replace them. Please have V.w. correct these problems @ their own expense, not mine, owner.

- Bristol, VA, USA

Mar 032005

The contact owns a 2001 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that the vehicle was consuming oil excessively. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 12,000 and the current mileage was 79,295.

- Crystal, VA, USA