2001 Volkswagen Jetta lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Volkswagen Jetta:

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 182004

Jetta 6-cyl

Consumer noticed that the brake lights were inoperative. Vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection, and mechanic determined that the brake light switch needed to be replaced.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 092004

Despite having a malfunction exactly as defined in NHTSA campaign 04vo96000 on the same model (01 Jetta) - Volkswagen insisted that my vehicle was not covered because my VIN was from a different plant. The dealer diagnosed the problem to be "a defective brake light switch that caused the epc light to stay on, and your brake lights to not work."

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 062004

Car get stuck in park. This is about the fifth time this has happened to my car. Normally you press on the brake and the safe switch will release so you can move your car from park. Today this happened twice, and I was about an hour late to work, because I had to wait for my car to decide when I could drive it. Last year I took the car in because the spoiler light did not work, they then told me that my brake light altogether did not work, so they decided to charge me $75. To fix that. Now the brake lights do not work again and $75 is not going to be paid this time. I had that part a little over a year.I've researched in other VW forums and many are having this problem. When the car was on warranty they claimed nothing was wrong, but now even though my car has a little over 35,000 miles on it, and it is a 2001 model it is having all of these problems.

- Converse, TX, USA

May 152004

While driving brake lights malfunctioned. Consumer was informed of this by a passing motorist. There was a brake light switch recall 04V090000 issued, but this vehicle was not included in the recall due to VIN.

- Batavia, NY, USA

May 142004

Jetta 4-cyl

I have now replaced by brake switch and brake light switch. I'm not sure if they are the same thing but I have replaced them both. The first one was the brake light switch. This was replaced because my lights would randomly turn on. Even when parked the lights would remain on. I got it to turn off by wedging something behind the brake so it would not go on. However, I paid $59 for it to get fixed. The other switch, the brake switch was replaced today. The charge was $137. This repair was due to the shifter being stuck in park. I have spent days with this problem and I feel my car should be under the recall. The service representative said that my car did not come up as a recall vehicle. If so many Jettas need repairs for this problem why is not my car included in this recall. I experience the same problems as others and I am not being treated fairly. If VW is to keep its good reputation they should reimburse everyone who has similar or exact problems. In both instances the brake switch and brake light switch were replaced. If these are the same item then people should be notified about these problems and they should not be liable to pay for service on their vehicles!

- Riverside, CA, USA

Apr 012004

Jetta 4-cyl

In January of 2003 while stopped at a red light my car was rear-ended. There was minor damage done to my bumper and that was replaced. In April 2004 my car was again rear-ended while stopped at a red light. In this incident the lady behind me was also stopped at the red light and she said her foot slipped off the brake and she hit me. We thought that perhaps she saw the turn lane light turn green and she went. Because the damage to my car this time was 4000 dollars. After the accident I found out that none of my brake lights worked, even though only one tail light had been busted. The repair shop replaced the tail light assembly and all worked properly. I believe that my brake lights failed to operate properly causing the accidents. I hadnT thought of this possibility until I received the recall notice in May 2004. I have lost time at work, minor injuries & my car will never be as it was prior to this. As of this time nothing has been done to the brake light switch as I am trying to find out how to determine if this is related to my 2 accidents.

- Auburn, WA, USA

Jul 162002

Jetta 4-cyl

My brake lights went on when the car was parked and stayed on - I had to have it taken to the dealer to fix the switch and was out a car for three days.

- Portland, OR, USA

Nov 172003

In Nov 2003, our 2001 Jetta tdi would not shift out of park, causing myself and my sons numerous times to be stranded. The problem was intermittent. Al sanchez VW in gilroy, ca, diagnosed a shifter problem and replaced it. The problem persisted. I continued to discuss it with al sanchez VW, even leaving it with them for one week to drive. I was told the problem was intermittent and they could not duplicate the problem, there was nothing they could do. Several weeks ago, the problem again occurred. I phoned a tow company who noted the vehicle stuck in park and mentioned the brake involvement. After turning off the car and fussing with the brake/shifter, it engaged. The next morning, I phoned al sanchez and was told that it shifted fine. Later that day, I was told that it got a little sticky.they diagnosed the brake light switch. I have spoke to service advisors and the service manager. They maintain the position that the shifter needed replacing in Nov 2003, and now the brake light switch needs replacing. I am of the opinion that the problem was not corrected. Since the problem continued to persist, this does not seem to be an unreasonable assessment. On 2/21/04, I downloaded info from your sight. There were two recalls for my car. Today, 3/31/04, there are three, including an exterior lighting;brake lights'switch. I decided to check this site today only because during during one of my more recent conversations to NHTSA, I was informed that there were three results. I have not confirmed if my vehicle in one included in this recall. If my VIN is not on the recall list, this is too much of a coincidence to overlook. Also, the lack of cooperation of al sanchez VW and volkswagon advocates cannot be overlooked as well. Ideally, I would like the repair cost of the shifter refunded to me and the recall to cover my shifting problem.

- Tres Pinos, CA, USA

Feb 232004

Jetta 4-cyl

I noticed on the incident date that the brake lights were on when the car was turned off and parked. I tried to get the brake lights to go off by gently tapping on the brake pedal, but they would not. I was told by the dealership that it was probably the brake light switch. And that many of their Jetta customers were complaining about their brakes lights being on. I was also told that this item was not covered under waranty. This is not a wear and tear item. If this is a common occurence then Volkswagen should pick up the cost to repair this malfunction. There should be some kind of recall issued for this occurrence.

- Aldie, VA, USA

Aug 252003

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

My 2001 VW Jetta's brake lights stay on and do not turn off. I had it repaired at the dealer who said the light switch was bad. I just found out that the 2001 VW beetle is being recalled for the same problem but not the Jetta. The parts are the same as per the parts department at haltermans VW in pa.

- East Stroudsburg, PA, USA

Aug 052003

Brake lamp switch doesn't function properly which causes brake lights to operate intermittently.

- Boston, MA, USA

Jun 072002

Jetta 4-cyl

The cruise/brake light switch malfunctioned which caused the check engine light to illuminate.

- Sacramento, CA, USA