3.6

2001 Volkswagen Jetta miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Volkswagen Jetta:

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Oct 232007

Jetta

Bought a 2001 VW Jetta 1.8T gls wolfsburg three weeks ago. Rains hit me for the first time today and although all door seals are 100% proper, water leaks into driver's side footwells via hood latch release as best I can tell. Found the car flooded with 1-2 inches of water, soaked into carpet and carpet padding. Replacing the carpet and padding would cost around 1500 dollars. Fixing the obvious defect in drainage will probably cost about 300 from reading up on this issue. This is a documented issue with vws. Check out www.carsurvey.org/viewcomments_review_43960.html also see www.theautobahn.com/forum/showthread.php?T=12789&page=1&start=&pp=10 my only able course of action is to ascertain the cause of the leak and fix that myself with any luck. Then it looks like a game of cutting and peeling the carpet back to dry the pads to avoid mold and odor, neither of which will I be able to actually prevent fully. Of course the previous owner has no memory of the issue. But it's not just me, check out the forums I provided web addresses to.

- Brentwood , TN, USA

Aug 012001

Jetta 6-cyl

Approximately 3 months after purchasing my 2001 Jetta, I noticed a crayon/wax smell throughout the interior of the car. Every one of my passengers has commented on the pungency of the crayon smell. A couple months later, I brought my car in to be serviced and notified the dealer of this smell, and he responded that this was the "standard Volkswagen smell". other subsequent dealerships have claimed that they have never even heard of this smell before. On hot days, the smell becomes grossly pungent and has caused me and my passengers headaches and nausea. The smell even stays in my clothes for days. I am afraid whether this smell is toxic.

- Millbrae, CA, USA

Aug 052006

Jetta 4-cyl

I have had nothing but issues with my 2001 Jetta. I have replaced all the wheel bearings and the front bearing twice. I have also had to replace the engine coils twice on this car. Now in the last 2-3 weeks the clear coat has started to peel off the car. The paint is not coming off just the clear coat. I called the VW care center and they ran me around having me take the car to a VW body shop, and having the service manager look at it and neither one of them could tell me why the clear coat was peeling. They both did respond by saying the could be sure but in may have been over baked at the factory after it was painted but of course nobody want to admit that because then VW would be liable to fix it. So in calling the VW care center back the pretty much told me the car was 5 year old and it wasn't their problem any more but mine. Great customer service. I've owned other cars and never had a problem with the clear coat. Granted they were not VW cars. I recommend not to buy a VW of any kind because this company will not stand by their fault. I mean 5 years old that the clear coat is peeling off. That isn't right. Thanks for nothing VW. Don't buy a VW.

- Delafield, WI, USA

Sep 142005

Jetta 6-cyl

2001 Jetta VR6 driver seat rocks because of broken gears. The dealer would not repair the seat free of charge because the vehicle was out of warranty. The dealer determined that there is a bad gear and it will cost over $700. To repair. The consumer considers this a safety issue and believes this may affect the proper operation of the side mounted air bags. The glove compartment also broke.

- Mount Laurel, NJ, USA