3.8

2001 Volkswagen Jetta miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Volkswagen Jetta:

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Oct 052016

Jetta

Car will stall at a 1/4 tank of gas when in motion. It will do this at any speed or on any road going uphill or down hill. Have put 3 new fuel pumps in changed the fuel pump solenoid and still have the problem. This has been going on for a year now.

- Easley, SC, USA

Apr 232003

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I purchased a new 2001 tdi Jetta. I have had three mass air sensors replaced, two of which were covered under my extended warrenty at approximately 37,000 miles, this last one was not. VW refused to assist with the repair. Also, a dealer previously told me back in August 2002 that I needed $700 worth of glow plug sensors and glow plugs. I had them replace the sensor for $400. They did not have the glow plugs in stock. Incidently my car started every time this winter in the freezing cold. It turns out that they were not bad after all and that I needed a glow plug harness for $118., which I found out last week when it broke down on me again. If I had replaced the plugs I would have wasted another $300. Last week my car displayed the same symptoms as it did when my mass air sensor failed the first two times. I took it to the first dealer that I could get in to and they told me needed to clean my intake mainfold, replace the fuel filter, air filter, glow plug harness and mass air sensor for $1200. I understand that they have to VW has to replace greater than 50% of their mass air sensors. Why are they not recalled. I drive 100 miles to work each way and this car has been an expensive let down. I have no faith in the VW company and once they get your money they do not seem to care at all. The car is unsafe. I will continue to pursue them until I get some resolution.

- Hammonton, NJ, USA

Jun 012002

Jetta

Vehicle has a burning rubber/wax smell. When engine gets hot smell gets really toxic. Vehicle checked by dealer, who replaced carpet between firewall and dashboard, since then smell is even worse.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Sep 022001

Jetta

No summary listed for above vehicle.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Mar 152002

Jetta

L have had numerous "factory defects" with my new vehicle and no one can help me solve my dilema. The vehicle im submitting to you is not the orginially purchased car. They had to give me a 2nd vehicle. I have had numerous problems ever since with keyless remote uni (replaced), auto window unit(both driver, passneger-both units replaced),driver seat not bolted to floor. Had to get a new seat. New shocks, new packing between rear pass. Door panels. All claimed to be factory defects per the dealer. I have established a claim through VW of America but they cannot assist. They will only take my complaints.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

May 012001

Jetta

Vehicle stalls at any speed/ any time. Shortly after purchase engine check light came on. Taken to dealer who repaired. However, vehicle stalls on a daily basis, taken to dealer 6 times, cannot remedy problem.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jul 112001

Jetta

The vehicle has been seen by mechanics from two different dealorships on five occasions due to the check engine light to date. On the fourth trip to the shop it was evaluated by the mechanics as having defective gas tank that had a slow leak. On this occasion the auto was kept for 1 week for repairs. Here we are a week later and the light is back on and it's back in the shop again. Meanwhile I am on probation at my new job and am having to take considerable time off due to these repairs. I am still on probation at this job and I have also missed out on the opportunity of overtime because of continual trips to the dealors shops. I have only made three payments on the car to date and I am paying for something that is in the shop as much as it is in the driveway. Aside from the fact that I have reached the point where I am afraid to drive it for I fear it could possibly be a deathtrap! I am not sure about the belt question that are within this form.

- Merced, CA, USA

May 292001

Jetta

Shortly after purchase of the vehicle the engine began to sputter and shake with the check engine light illuminating, consumer returned vehicle to dealership to fix temperature regulator in the engine system, however after repair the vehicle's engine light illuminated and consumer lost all braking ability. The dealership and manual state that it is ok for the driver to continue to drive the vehicle with the check engine light on, but when light is flashing do not drive, the brakes and engine failure occurred without flashing lights for proper warning.

- Rochester, NY, USA

May 252001

Jetta

Check oil light came on. After checking dipstick found that it was completely empty. Took car next day directly to dealer and found they know of problem with the car burning oil and it was "normal for the car to do that under 10,000." Car was serviced at minuteman VW for 5K service. Car taken to same location. They suggested we put oil in car and come back Tuesday. We drove away but retuned after 10 minutes to get rental car. The vehicle gave no signs about an oil leak beforehand nor heavy smoke from the exhuast. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to check the spark plugs. Is there any recourse we can have since this defect no matter how many times we take it back will devalue our vehicle? please advise.

- Waltham, MA, USA