2002 Volkswagen Jetta brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Jetta:

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Jul 132005

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Over the past few months I have been experiencing difficulty with an intermitent problem with my car. Periodically the car would not accelerate past 10-15 miles an hour resulting in the car going into overdrive. The car was towed twice in two weeks. After the first tow, the dealership could not detect the problem and returned the car to me even though I felt unsafe driving the vehicle. The second time, the car was moving at 40mph and then dropped to 5 mph on a busy highway, where I was close to causing a serious accident. I demanded that the dealership keep the car and continue to test drive the car until they detected the problem, which they finally found. They found a defect in the brake system where the brakes would cease while driving resulting in the complete replacement of the brake booster system and brake peddle, which the dealership claimed was defect from the manufacturer as it is a rare occurance. Approx. $700., the car is returned although I continue to feel unsafe driving the car. Also, because of this defect, it required me to replace brake pads X2 in a two week period. I am concerned that this defect has not been a recall of some kind. Please advise.

- Collingswood, NJ, USA