2002 Volkswagen Jetta drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volkswagen Jetta:

2002 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 152003

This car has had too many serious problems to be limited to this small space. It is clearly a lemon. These problems substantially impair the use and value of the vehicle. The car received a new transmission yesterday after we had reported 3 previous times that there it remained in reverse after shifting into drive. Each time we were told it was unreproduceable and the complaint was never noted on the work orders. Finally, the dealership did relent and replace the transmission. We encountered the same type of treatment with the engine burning oil, and it wasn't until the engine ran completely out of oil, that the dealer would address the problem. The first time we had complained about the oil was 2 months after we had bought the car!!!

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 152003

The clutch completely blew out on my 2002 Jetta VR6 at 27,000 miles on 8/25/2003. It is costing $966 dollars to replace the clutch (I will know the exact parts once I get it back from the service department). I was told by the VW dealership and VW of America that this is "normal wear and tear" and not covered by the warranty. I do not ride the clutch and drive all highway miles. The clutch was not ruined by "poor driving" or "city driving" despite what VW of America and the dealership is claiming. The clutch must be defective. I have done research on the internet and have found a number of people who have had this problem with VW Jetta standard transmission cars made during/after 1999 (the year VW remodeled their cars). These people have also had their clutch go out with 10,000-35,000 miles on their cars, were experienced drivers, and were forced to pay for the repairs. Also, when I did get my car back I asked for the parts that had been replaced (so I could have an independant mechanic look at them) and I was told that they had already been sent back to the factory. This leaves me with no way to determine what was wrong with the parts. Since then I have written VW demanding it find & return the parts or refund the repair costs.

- Brookline, MA, USA

Apr 152003

3 engine coils have failed and have been replaced. Now the transmission is gone and they are replacing the whole transmission the left front door latch has failed too.

- Greenfield, MA, USA