2003 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Volkswagen Jetta:

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 072014

Jetta

The alternator cable melted the fuse block and the car almost caught on fire.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Aug 112014

Jetta

There is a fuse box on the top of my battery as there was for all MK4 Jettas, golf in all motor trims. The fuse box on top of the battery melted. When opened there was a black wire severed from the box. When turning the battery over the cable wire was arching. The wire was actually sparking. There are fuses in the original box but they never boke, tripped.

- Middletown, CT, USA

Jul 312014

Jetta

Battery fuse box melted. Engine overheated and cut off.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jun 092014

Jetta

Air conditioner stopped working. Found left fuse on fuse box on top of battery is black and melted

- East Greenville, PA, USA

Jun 162014

Jetta

The day before the car quit, it would not start after being parked in the mall parking lot. A battery pack got it started, and it was driven home, with the thought that it needed a new battery. The following day, it was being driven to the local sears, for a replacement battery, when the ABS and airbag lights came on. 30 seconds later lots of warning lights came on, and the car sputtered and stopped dead in the lane of travel. It would not turn over, and power accessories would not work. I was stopped on a very busy 2 lane back road, with no shoulders or side streets, uphill, on a blind hill. After 1 1/2 hours of white-knuckle directing traffic, and calls to: My auto club, and the local police; a local police officer, and a local tow truck showed up and gave me a lift to my repair shop. The mechanic's diagnosis of the problem was a partially melted fuse pack, that sits on top of the battery, and an overly resistive cable between the fuse pack and the alternator. The solution was: The cable end linked to the fuse pack was re-terminated, and the melted fuse pack was replaced. Between the tow and the repair, it set me back about $300. I also found a blog that listed many other VW owners with the same problem: forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4986219-fuse-box-above-battery-melting. I also discovered a class action law suit that was filed in 2012, that was based on this problem: gotaclassaction.com/Volkswagen-named-in-class-action-over-fuse-boxalternator-cable-assembly/. I hope that the current repair holds for the near future. Clearly, a fuse should blow before the overall fuse pack melts.

- Newtown Square, PA, USA

Feb 062014

Jetta 4-cyl

I have a Jetta that continually burns out the fuse box, which just happened again. The fuse box to replace costs around $100. Everytime. Due to this problem I am encountering additional repairs. Ignition coil etc. I even went and purchase a new battery for $160. Car will not run? help.

- Downey, CA, USA

Feb 232014

Jetta

Car had a burning smell coming from the engine. The engine light came on. While on the highway the car stopped moving forward and stalled in traffic, the battery light then came on. I turned the car off and restarted it. In a 30 mile round trip, this happened 3 times. Upon further inspection, the battery mounted fuse block had completely melted and was extremely hot.

- Westmont, IL, USA

Feb 072014

Jetta 6-cyl

The alternator cable got so hot it started a small fire in the fuse box on top of my battery. Completely melted/burnt the fuse box. I see there is a good pattern of this happening with these Jetta and beetles.

- Elsmere, KY, USA

Feb 052014

Jetta

TL- the contact owns a 2003 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph a burning plastic odor was present inside the vehicle before the passenger suddenly experienced a burning sensation coming from the seated area of the passenger seat. The contact indicated that the passenger side seat heater element had over heated causing a burn hole in the seat and causing a minor burn to the passenger. The contact stated that a small flamed to the passengers right pant leg had to be extinguished during the incident and the passenger seat burn hole measured approximately 1 inch in diameter. The vehicle was diagnosed at the dealer. The contact was informed that the defect was caused by a faulty heat element inside the seat. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 125,000. Jft

- Wilmington , DE, USA

Jetta 4-cyl

One of the two large cooling fans in the front of the engine failed. The part must be replaced to prevent engine overheating. The part number is 6X0-959-445-F.

Jetta 4-cyl

The temp sender on my 2003 Volkswagen Jetta failed for the second time. The first failure occurred at approximately 38,000 miles in 2007.

Jetta 4-cyl

The thermostat on my 2003 Volkswagen Jetta failed for the second time. The first time it failed as at approximately 40,000 miles in 2009.

Jun 012011

Jetta

The safety light on the interior of the front passenger door that lights up when the door is opened failed on my 2003 Volkswagen Jetta. The dealer stated that the problem was a failure in the front passenger door latch mechanism. The door latch mechanism was replaced, and was not covered under warranty.

Sep 242011

Jetta 4-cyl

The rear O2 sensor on my 2003 Volkswagen Jetta failed causing the mil indicator to illuminate. The sensor had to be replaced, and is not covered under the extended warranty for emissions.

Jan 242012

Jetta 4-cyl

My 2003 Volkswagen Jetta has experienced a coil pack failure causing a reduction in power, and the engine to misfire. According to the Volkswagen dealer, the housing of the coil pack was cracked which allowed moisture to affect its operation. The dealer also stated that there is no recall or replacement program for 4 cylinder engines experiencing this problem.

Nov 122012

Jetta

All warning indicators (ABS, cel, airbag, ecp, battery and other instrument dash panel lights) would flicker repetitively until the car lost all power. After inspection of the engine compartment it was found that the alternator cable that attaches to the fuse box located on top of the battery was melting the fuse box and causing power distribution problems. The Volkswagen dealer recommended that they both be replaced as the cable could have become high resistance thereby causing excessive heat at the fuse box. I had the alternator cable replaced with an oem part and the fuse box with an aftermarket part. On 10-9-13 with 104K miles while driving to work at 6am in the morning, the exact same symptoms were experienced again. Luckily I was on a side road and was towed to a dealer which said that all oem parts should be used and that this is common as they had just replaced the alternator cable on another Jetta of the same generation. I requested the dealer check the entire electrical system including the alternator because the parts that were installed last year should not go bad in 1 year, the dealer said there was no other issue. I am not the only one experiencing a melting fuse box. At the links below are others who have experienced the same thing, even across other VW models. There seems to be a serious problem of melting of fuse boxes which can occur at any time the vehicle is in operation. (with pictures) forums.fourtitude.com/showthread.php"4562591 forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4682918-why-S-my-fuse-box-melting newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/28982-battery-fuse-box-melting-04-new-beetle.html forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4705261-battery-light-flickering-on-acceleration forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php"4829541-burnt-black-cable-fuse-box-on-top-of-battery.

- Newton, NJ, USA

Sep 302009

Jetta

Rear passenger doors fail to respond to key fob. Stay locked/ unlocked.

- Boise, ID, USA

Jun 092013

Jetta

The car was parked for two days without being driven. While it was parked, neighbors ran over to report it was smoking under the hood. We saw that there were flames coming out from underneath the front of the car. Fire department came, but fire had already extinguished itself. Fire department disconnected the battery ground and said the wires going to the cooling fan had set on fire. All of this was spontaneous. Engine was not on.

- Newburyport, MA, USA

Mar 012013

Jetta 4-cyl

Both front seats, the bottom right side bolster burned. The heated front seats will over heat, the failure appears to be confined to the right bolster on the bottom section of the seat. The heating elements get hot enough to burn through the seat material. Being the side of the seat I was able to shift my leg away and power off the heated seat. If left on the seats will start to smoke. I consider this a safety issue, I haven't tried, but it seems as though the seat could catch on fire if left on. The local dealer's service rep said just unplug it the option.

- Milton, VT, USA

Jan 262012

Jetta

Driver's seat heater malfunctioned. Right side of seat has small burn marks, is discolored, has exposed elements, and seat foam is melted. Two pairs of pants obtained singe marks on separate occasions. I drive the car to and from the city via interstate for 40 minutes each way. Seat heaters are typically on for about 20 minutes. Beginning in November when I used the seat heaters I could smell a slight burning smell. Since it was the beginning of the winter season I figured it was just heated dust on my seats from being inactive all summer. The final time I used the seat heaters (1/26/12) the smell got so bad that I had to open the sun roof for air. I also noticed the seats got hotter than usual and wondered if my seat back was heating at all. As was usual when the seat was hot enough I would manually turn off the seat heater. I did not know what was happening until one day when I noticed brown marks on the right side of my pants. I then looked at the seat and saw the damage to the seat. The driver's seat element was replaced in May 2006, the passenger seat August 2006, due to previous recall/warranty service.

- Hugo, MN, USA