2004 Volkswagen Jetta engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Volkswagen Jetta:

2004 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Aug 052015

The contact owns a 2004 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled, back fired, and it was leaking coolant under the water pump. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. Prior to this failure that the vehicle had experienced leaking. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed the water pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14E007000 (engine and engine cooling). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 156,000.

- Saugus, MA, USA

Feb 112016

VW ignition coils are failed, causing the spark plug not to fire and cutting power to the engine. The technician was unable to find the issue about 4 hours and finally found the problem. The car was working fine one day and while at the bank with my boys in the back the car shut off. I needed to get out and push the car into the parking lot to get out of the way.

- Alliance, OH, USA

Apr 292013

I purchased my car back in October 2013. When I purchased my car, the mechanic said that he replaced the ABS system. The lights were not on when I bought it. A few months later, out of the blue in about April 2014, I was turning my car on and the engine light, the ABS light and the brake light all came on momentarily after turning my engine on as I was still in park. My car had close to 100,000 miles on it. The problem went away and shortly came back a week later. Ever since, it has been on. Every once in a while, all of the lights would go off. Luckily the lights all went off for a few days around my inspection time for the 2014 year and my car passed. Not even three days later they all came back on. This time October 2015 inspection is coming up and my lights are all on. Since the engine light is on, I cannot pass inspection. The code reader says it is a miscommunication error, or a U0121 error. I have done a lot of investigation and cleaning up the module and the contacts, cleared the codes, and my problem is still there.

- Robesonia,, PA, USA

Aug 022013

The contact owns a 2004 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle jerked, the epc warning indicator illuminated, and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the mass air flow system failed. The dealer previously replaced the mass air flow system due to the check engine indicator illuminating, but the failure persisted. The technician stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Bulington , NC, USA

Mar 032014

VW Corp rejected catalytic converter replacement when we identified that the flex pipe was leaking/loud and was over the mileage warranty (VW extended the part warranty to 10yrs or 120K miles) our car had 120,110 miles. There was no local VW dealership to id repairs near where I was working. The part did failed before the 120K miles; and has been leaking or damaged for sometime. Since it warmed up and I had the windows down I was able to hear the leak. This part was replaced under warranty previously and was a recall item on this model and year. Is there a "range" on mileage that the VW is required to take into account for travel to nearest VW dealer location for repairs or written within the current emissions warranty law??

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Apr 012008

We are the original owners of a 2004 Jetta with 2.0 engine with 98K as of Apr 2013. Without any warning or clues from VW dealer or auto shop, the car would not start; car would turn over the engine but no fuel pressure. Depending on season (winter) and location (middle of no where) this can cause a hazard for the driver and passenger. The car would start after leaving it alone for 2-3 hrs and try restarting. The warning seems to be when the interior light does not come on which means the switch is acting up; the fuel system is at a low pressure will cause a no start. Under VW new car and independent shops can not duplicate; many on-line owners has have pointed the finger at a door latch/priming circuit board that controls the fuel pump prime when the driver door is opened. Good pics on the circuit board failed/cracked solder joint. This door latch priming is used on many VW group cars; we own a cayenne and I can hear the priming. Please consider a recall of this VW part or telling VW to stop placing the fuel pump priming circuit in the driver door latch. The ignition key seem to be what other car makers use.

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Apr 302012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

2004 VW Jetta gls tdi operating at 75mph on interstate on cruise control when the engine shutoff completely. The vehicle still had electrical power and engine would crank but would not start. I rolled the vehicle off to the side of the road and attempted to re-start the engine and it finally cranked and drove vehicle approximately 500 miles before experiencing similar issue. Since that time vehicle has had same issue over 10 times. Dealer has inspected vehicle three times and has not discovered issue.

- Clarksville, TN, USA