2005 Volkswagen Jetta seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Volkswagen Jetta:

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Aug 282015

Airbag warning light on dash has been on since last fall 2015. Dealer says car will still pass inspection with light on. I'm wondering if there is a recall on this.

- Strafford, NH, USA

Jun 042015

While driving and airbags deployed, cause windshield to break and lose control of car.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Sep 032014

Sometime in 2013, I received a notice from Volkswagen that I needed to bring my 2005 Jetta in to have the driver's seat wiring harness repaired due to a recall. I had no prior problems with the air bags or warning lights. I took the vehicle in and they did the work. Within a months, I got an error message in the display that there was a failure with the air bags. The airbag went off but in 2014 the light came bag again. I was told it was not related to the wiring harness and I would have to pay at a cost of about $700. I did not persue the issue I thought it was wiring issue but it is not. I did not have the airbag light on before they repaired the recall issue. The airbag light on the display is still there.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 012013

Jetta 5-cyl

Sometime in early to mid 2013, I received a notice from Volkswagen that I needed to bring my 2005 Jetta in to have the driver's seat wiring harness repaired due to a recall. I had no prior problems with the air bags or warning lights. I took the vehicle in and they did the work. Within a few days, I got an error message in the display that there was a failure with the air bags. I took the vehicle back to Volkswagen. I was told that the technician failed to clear something in the computer memory so the failure message had come on. They indicated they cleared the message and the air bag light on the display did go off. A few months later, the air bag error message came on again. I tool the car back to Volkswagen. This time they said it was not related to the wiring harness and I would have to pay to have a new driver's seat side airbag installed, at a cost of about $700. In November 2013 I corresponded with Volkswagen and complained about the issue because I had no problems until they replaced the wiring harness. Volkswagen's response was that, even though I had brought the vehicle in for recalls on "a campaign related to airbag connectors and wiring", it was now the airbag itself that was bad not the connectors or wiring, so they would not repair it. The airbag light on the display is still there.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Dec 142013

Jetta 5-cyl

Air bag light on in vehicle indicating an error with the system. Manual says the bag may not deploy or deploy while driving. This is a major safety concern I think the car company should address.

- Trinity , FL, USA

Jun 122012

Jetta 5-cyl

A few weeks ago, I went to start my car and all the lights were flashing and car didn't start. Jumped the battery, got the car running; but ever since my air bag light has stayed on and the driver's window is slow, the auto up/down feature not working, and if the driver door is open, I can't pop trunk or gas lid or roll down any of the windows. My car is no longer under warranty, so it's going to be very expensive to fix the multiple issues.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jun 272011

Front end crash into a stopped vehicle on county highway. Approximately 35 mph to 40 mph. None of the air bags deployed. Vehicle was totaled by insurance provider. Seat belt straining upon body, that took full force of stop no other absorption of impact energy. Vehicle kept energized even at the salvage storage area when keys were inserted no electrically safety relays disengaged the vehicle electrical system.

- Canon, GA, USA

Mar 122010

The contact owns a 2005 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact was involved in a crash while traveling approximately 40 mph. The contact was knocked unconscious with the level of impact sustained during the crash. The entire air bag system failed to deploy. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 69,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 012009

Air bag problems on 2005 Volkswagen new Jetta. Defective connections under all seats which break from random movement of seating area resulting in a nonfunctional air bag for that passenger. This causes a default code and blocks any air bag from functioning. Only a matter of time before a crash results in injury or death because the air bag did not deploy and protect the passenger. Every visit to dealer to correct this problem costs the customer $300 per seat and fix works for about 1 month. Search the web and you will find 1000's of consumers with the same problem.

- Fleming Island, FL, USA

Feb 012010

2005 Volkswagen new Jetta. Airbag warning light on. Dealer diagnosed as needing a new wiring harness in passenger side seat. Necessary to replace wiring harness to insure correct operation of airbags in car.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Jun 132009

I was driving down the road at about 30 mph when my car stalled in the middle of the road and my driver side airbags had been deployed. My seatbelt restricted so hard, I could hardly breathe anymore. Nothing had hit my car and I had not gone over any potholes or bumps. VW said that it is not their responsibility to repair my airbags or the damage done to my headliner and driver seat. I no longer have a functioning seatbelt either. This is a huge safety issue for America. Not only did the airbags deploy with no accident, I no longer feel safe driving in my own vehicle. What if I get into an accident tonight without the proper protection a car is guaranteed to have" if I was killed or my kids were killed, would VW do something then"

- Everett, WA, USA

Feb 242009

My daughter hit the back of a Volvo SUV with her 2005 VW Jetta and not 1 air bag deployed leaving her in the hospital for a month's stay with major brain trauma and $100,000 + dollars in medical bills instead of a minor trip to the emergency room for air bag deployment. Her entire front end is in the windshield. (we have photos).because she hit the Volvo at the wrong angle, was the determined reasoning as to why the air bags didn't deploy. Are you kidding me. Let's take a closer look into VW's advertisements for safety. My daughter was fooled by this nonsense and the rest of the country is being fooled also. I will pursue this for correction for as long as need be.let's hope the board gets on board with this unsafe issue! "airbags only deploy if you hit the front end at a certain angle" again< are you kidding me" I'm sure john.Q. public will be very interested to see these pix online.

- Youngsville, LA, USA

Nov 192008

My trunk has never closed properly from the day I drove it off the lot. I took the vehicle back within a few weeks to be repaired. They did not have the part and it took a few more weeks. When they replaced it, it still continued not to close properly. I have the old part. I also recently had an air bag default sensor come on. I have contacted them multiple times regarding this and they continue to advise that they will have to charge me a diagnosis of $97.50 and I will have to pay for a rental if this is not covered under warranty. I have continuously had problems with this service department. I have tried to drop the vehicle off and they insist that they do not have room and will not be able to get to my vehicle for several days. These are very serious hazards that could be life threatening yet they fail to recognize the importance of their customer.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Sep 012008

I own a 2005 Volkswagen new Jetta 2.5 which just had an incident of the airbag fault light going on. I took my vehicle to the dealership to be serviced and was informed that I needed to replace the seat belt buckle which was the reason for the light. My car is currently at 58,00 miles and my warranty was only extended to 50,000 miles, leaving me to shoulder the costs of a new seat belt buckle. The seatbelt's inner electrical circuits have burned out, but there are no other defects with the buckle. Because the circuit has burned out, the passenger airbag system is considered unstable and may not function properly during an accident. I feel that in no way should I be held accountable for what appears to be a manufacturer defect regardless of my vehicle's warranty status. After doing research on the internet, I have found that many Volkswagen owners have had this safety issue but strangely Volkswagen has not issued a recall on this defect. Although I cannot find any incidents of accident regarding this defect, I feel that a proactive approach and investigation is better than someone losing their life or loved one from this defect.

- Highland, CA, USA

Mar 042008

Jetta 5-cyl

I purchased my VW Jetta new in 2005. Since then I have had a recurring issue that I believe can cause death to the drivers or passengers if they are in a N accident. I have had problems with the airbags (air bag light comes on) about 5 or 6 times.. the most recent one being the beginning of the month. The times the light has come on I have taken it to the dealership and it has been repaired.. but it seems to always be the same thing.. some sort of damaged/shorting wires from what the dealer has told me. I feel that this is not an isolated issue and feel that for the safety of other owners of the same vehicle should be looked into/rectified by the manufacturer. I called today to VW's customer service.. and was brushed off.. and told that my vehicle was out of warranty. I have paid many times to get this issue fixed.. I was not trying to get warranty work done. I was trying to bring to light a re occurring issue that my car was having.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

May 182005

Jetta 4-cyl

I was making a left hand turn and for no reason whatsoever the driver and passenger airbags deployed. Following the deployment of the airbags, my hands were thrown off the steering wheel, causing me to lose control of the vehicle. The vehicle then proceded to go straight up onto a curb causing the entire passenger side of the vehicle to be damaged. The car was not drivable

- Maitland, FL, USA