2006 Volkswagen Jetta accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta:

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Aug 062015

Jetta

While on the highway (hutchinson river parkway, westchester county, NY), my power driver's seat started moving forward (towards the wheel) on its own. I stopped it by pushing back on the switch. This incident happened twice more within the next 5 minutes and again overnight (last night) while the car was parked (I came to it this morning and found the seat was pushed all the way forward). Obviously, a driver's seat with a mind of its own could be a serious safety hazard. The seat moving while the car is parked and unoccupied means it might not be able to be stopped even by shutting off the engine. At 6ft2, I would be crushed if I were unable to stop the seat from moving up.

- Bronxville, NY, USA

Feb 272015

Jetta 4-cyl

Driver seat lower right back overheated. Burnt a hole in the seat and melted the coat I was wearing. Smell of burning in the car and intense heat on my back. Turned off the seat heat. When I arrived at my destination, noticed the burn in the seat and later noticed a burn on my coat. Interior of the car is well maintained, never flooded or abused. Now I have a car driver seat that is badly damaged, a ruined coat and scared to operate the car or to park in my garage in fear of a fire that could burn down my house and car putting my self and family in harms way. I have noticed several VW cars in the past with the same problem in the same spot and was always thankful that it was not my car. Now it is my car with the same problem. Called the VW dealer and they said that there is not a recall on this. This is a problem that can cause a bad burn on a person. I am glad I had a coat on while driving, otherwise I would have had to seek medical treatment for the burn. Would like to see VW correct the problem and replace the seat at no charge to the owners. This is a preventable problem that needs corrected.

- Shickshinny, PA, USA

Feb 272015

Jetta

Driver seat lower right back overheated. Burnt a hole in the seat and melted the coat I was wearing. Smell of burning in the car and intense heat on my back. Turned off the seat heat. When I arrived at my destination, noticed the burn in the seat and later noticed a burn on my coat.. interior of the car is well maintained, never flooded or abused. Now I have a car driver seat that is badly damaged, a ruined coat and scared to operate the car or to park in my garage in fear of a fire that could burn down my house and car putting myself and family in harms way. I have noticed several VW cars in the past with the same problem in the same spot and was always thankful that it was not my car. Now it is my car with the same problem. Called the VW dealer, and they said that there is not a recall on this. This is a problem that can cause a bad burn on a person. I am glad I had a coat on while driving, otherwise I would have had to seek medical treatment for the burn. Would like to see VW correct the problem and replace the seat at no charge to the owners. This is a preventable problem that needs corrected.

- Shickshinny, PA, USA

Dec 072012

Jetta

I was driving down the highway in Iowa and to my horror, my car seat started moving back by itself. I could not reach the pedals in the car and had to hold the electric seat button and fight it to keep it from moving back. This was pretty difficult since the car is a stick shift. Volkswagen was uninterested in helping defray the cost of repairing this very seriously unsafe defect!

- Hudson, IA, USA

Jan 012013

Jetta

The leather on the driver's seat started separating...looks like little micro tears that continue to worsen.

- Newton, NC, USA

Jan 242014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Our 2006 Jetta tdi had an airbag fault. We took the vehicle to a Volkswagen dealership and they tested the air code and found out that the passenger occupant detector module went bad due to a electrical malfunction in the circuit. The dealership was not able to say if the airbags were going to work on not in the case of a crash. Volkswagen is refusing to take any ownership of keeping their vehicle safe and covering the cost of the part. I contact Volkswagen usa and they gave the reason they will not cover the part because I did not have an extended warranty. I feel that Volkswagen is being neglectful to their claim on providing a safe vehicle. Now that the airbag sensor is going out, we are having more electrical problems with headlights, parking lights, taillights, brake lights, day time running lights, and turn signals.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Jan 032014

Jetta 5-cyl

While driving home with my wife, she stated that she thought she had noticed a burning smell. The heated seats were on as it was a cold morning. The next day I noticed that the back rest of the seat had a smoldering mark as well as some sort of smoke damage as if there was a fire on the inside of the seat. We later looked on her jacket and noticed that there was transfer of the "leather" to her jacket.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Mar 012012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Driver's seat, lower right side of seat back: Noticed a discoloration & change in the fabric at least one year ago. More recently, two pinholes have appeared in the area. Without a doubt, this has been caused by the heated seat element. In retrospect, we realize that several articles of clothing - primarily outerwear - were damaged by the excess heat from that area of the seat. Because it was outerwear, that probably accounts for why we never felt the intense, localized heat. No injuries resulted. But after reading about almost 200 similar complaints for the Jettas built around that time, some resulting in injuries and / or fires, I'm surprised there have been no recalls.

- Dunellen, NJ, USA

Nov 052012

Jetta 5-cyl

I was driving down the road with the heated seat on, I had it on 5 which is the max setting and I felt a burning sensation near my right shoulder area so I felt my back and thought wow so I turned it down and after pulling in my garage I looked and the seat was slightly melted about the size of a golf ball and my jacket was slightly melted I am going to contact my local dealer tomorrow to see if there's a recall (beware it could have resulted in fire I believe if I would have kept it on long enough.)

- East Liverpool, OH, USA

Jul 012011

Jetta

My wife was getting ready to go to work, when she opened the door of our Jetta, smoke started coming out from under the drivers front seat. She bent down to see where it was coming from but all she saw was a red glow coming from under the seat. This thing must have set and smolder all night because she didn't unlock the car that morning because she had left the car unlocked do to where we live no one is around for miles. Inspector said that it was fault of (VW) the seat, but it will cost to much to sue VW. We almost lost our home, garage and our lives. We had the seat recall repaired but I think the repair was never made, the video is on youtube under "Jetta fire". one of my questions is why didn't a fuse blow before the car burnt to the ground.

- Claremore, OK, USA

Jan 242011

Jetta 5-cyl

My 2006 VW Jetta 2.5 L has had the passenger side seat warmer catch fire and cause holes in my seat. As I dropped off one of my children to school today I noticed a black hole with glowing orange embers in the seat! I touched it and realized my seat had caught on fire! thank god my child was already out of the car and was wearing a heavy coat and wasn't burned by it. Definitely a huge safety issue and I'm lucky no one was injured!

- Ridgely, MD, USA

Nov 262010

Jetta 5-cyl

Recently my beloved 2006 Jetta 2.5's power driver side seat has been moving on its own while I am actively driving!! I was on my way home the day after thanksgiving when my seat started to shift on its own.. I was driving in NJ on the parkway traveling 75 mph.. my seat moved forward which put pressure on my foot on the gas than moved backwards atleast 6 inches.. leaving me both unaware I was traveling 90mph!! and unable to brake.. because I couldn't reach the brake pedal.. while I was trying to fix my seat and panicking.. I looked in my mirror and realized I was being pulled over by a state trooper. I advised him of the situation and he didn't wanna hear it.. I plan to fight this ticket in court because this was not* my fault.. however I am grateful I wasn't involved in something more severe like an accident.. the car is being towed to the dealership I bought it from and I strongly advise anyone who has had the same issue to complain to VW because this is a deff!!!!! safety hazard and will kill someone.. and I forgot to mention that I also had my 6 yr old son in the car.. this is a problem!

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Oct 162010

Jetta

I was sitting in my (drivers) seat and noticed a faint burning smell followed by pain (burning) in my right side. I got home and found a burn hole in the back of the seat. Something burnt through the seat and burnt my clothes and gave me a small blister. Neither of us smoke. After a few times I believe it is the seat heater. If it's off it doesn't burn you. A mechanic told us this is common and to followup on it.

- Bradford, 00, USA

May 232006

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Brakes/steering/esp-vehicle pulls to the right after making left hand turns or U-turns. Sometimes so aggressively that it has caused injury to the drivers and damage to the car's rim and tire. Vehicle moves after put in park and the ignition has been turned off. Sometimes, it moves after getting out and walking away. Have been told by two dealerships that this is normal. I don't feel that moving 6 inches or more is safe, especially around children and small pets. Seat memory-seat started moving on its own while driving. Almost had an accident because of this as in the middle of braking, the seat moved all the way back where I could not reach the pedals. Memory has not been right even after replacing switches and I am stressed and wonder when the seat will start moving on its own again.

- Largo, FL, USA

Oct 102006

Jetta 4-cyl

I leased my 2006 Jetta 2.0 in January 2006. Currently the car has stalled on me 4 times and I have had numerous failed starts. The vehicle fails to start when I use the main key and the valet key. This problem has become pretty consistent now that I have put more miles on the vehicle. I am now at 20K and its been a headache all the way. I can only be thankful that when the car stalled on me on numerous occasions that I was not in heavy traffic. The dealership says that they can not identify the problem and therefore there is nothing that can be done. Supposedly, the car starts without a problem when it is in their service bay. In addition, when I first got the vehicle, my back seat latches were broken causing the back seat to lunge forward during hard stops and turns. This made my Jetta a two passenger vehicle! also, the hazard lights and switches were malfunctioning. The front suspension or the brakes make a grinding noise or they have a loose feel, I haven't been able to put my finger on it yet. Im taking it to the dealership once again tomorrow! my steering column make a faint squeaking noise during turns, I have no idea what that problems is. In the morning after I can get the car started the engine is loud for about two minutes. The dealer fixed the latch problems but the other problems go unfixed and remain a huge mystery.

- Riverside , CA, USA

May 122006

Jetta 4-cyl

2006 Jetta gli - when seats are occupied they make a metal creaking sound upon acceleration and braking. It appears to be a weak component in (manual) seat frame. Concern: Possibility of seat frame malfunctioning during an accident. Dealer statement: Normal.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Jul 052006

Jetta 4-cyl

Driver's seat clicks/clunks and noticeable movement can be felt in the seat around where the seat back connects to the seat bottom on the right side. This occurs when accelerating, braking, or making turns. This started occurring for no apparent reason. Took the car to dealer - they could not reproduce the noise/movement. Waited a couple weeks, then took back to dealer. Dealer was able to verify noise and movement - they said that the seat frame bolts were not torqued to spec and tightened the seat bolts. The next day the noise and movement returned. This concerns me from a safety standpoint - I do not want the seat to come apart in the event of an accident.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jul 102006

Jetta 4-cyl

Seat improperly designed for a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta gli severe leg discomfort. Leg bolsters and unadjustable angle of seat make the driver position leg awkwardly causing the seat to dig into leg. After 6 months, leg pain is constant. Contacted Volkswagen and will not fix seats without a recall. Should be fixed at dealers expense. Not buyer.

- Painesville, OH, USA