2006 Volkswagen Jetta drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta:

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

May 072007

Jetta 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, he noticed that the vehicle would not shift gears. He pulled over and waited until the vehicle cooled down. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The dealer stated that they were not sure what was wrong with the vehicle. The manufacturer was contacted but provided no assistance.the failure mileage was 29,000 and the current mileage was 94,000. Updated 08/23/12 updated 09/24/2012

- Rancho Dominguez, CA, USA

May 042009

Jetta 4-cyl

2006 Jetta 2.0T with a dsg transmission has a dual mass flywheel (dmf) which is failing: Chattering at idle, when shifting gears, and when slowing to a stop. Spoke with a few dealers in the area to ask about the repair and was quoted $2500 to repair (the dmf only!). contacted voa to find out if this issue was part of a recall, but no recalls for such failures. However, I was offered $1000 towards the purchase of a new VW - that won't fix my problem. All dealers I spoke with have no recollection of any other failed dmfs - at all. Through my own research, I discovered that Audi (VW partner company) issued a recall for a number of 2006 A3 models with the same part number (same part) to replace this defective dmf part (R/2006/031). Also learned that there was a recall issued for 1.9tdi model Jettas in australia (135C). There has been no such recall for us owners of VW models with the dsg transmission and the dmf. Why not? I also own a 2010 passat with the same engine, transmission and dmf part. I can only expect to have the same issues with that car later on. It would be nice even to have VW accept the responsibility of addressing the dmf part maker (luk and/or sachs) for a partial payment of the repairs. At this point I have two options; sell the car to an unsuspecting victim, or pay nearly 50% of the trade value of the car with 106,000 miles on it to have it fixed.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Jun 042012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

On highway going approx 60 mph, car locked up, skidding for about 50 feet. Was unable to engage clutch, engine was still running though. Got car towed to dealership, discovered engine mount bolt had sheared off, car has never been in an accident and has had all oil changes/etc ( 2K miles late for 60K service).

- Burlington, NJ, USA

Mar 172012

Jetta 4-cyl

We were driving in a residential neighbor hood at about 25mph and the car suddenly stopped accelerating as if the car was in neutral. Luckily, we were able to pull over and park. The car went into fail safe mode (which I now know). About 5 different error lights were on as well as the gear lights flashing. Put the car in park and shut off the engine, let it rest and then proceeded to restart with the same engine error. The car wouldn't reverse or go over 2nd gear. I can't even imagine if this happened on the freeway it has been serviced regularly at my local VW dealer on time and is now out of warranty. Prior to this specific engine failure, I have had numerous problem with my gli, from interior, electrical, to the turbo. I started having problems very early on with this car, some were covered by the warranty and some were not. Incredibly disappointed in the quality of my gli all around.

- La Mesa, CA, USA

Apr 182011

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The dual mass flywheel ( dmf ) failed at 90,801 miles.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Feb 182012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Dual mass flywheel(dmf) detached itself, causing enormous damage to the transmission(dsg).initially, I have to replace dmf, then crankshaft positioning sensor, crankshaft seal and bearing.this repair cost me $1,700. After taking a closer look at the car, the mechanic found out that, because of the damagesdmf has caused to the transmission, the transmission is now leaking oil.a pieces of the dmf cut into the casing of the transmission and created a number of holes.as a result of all this, the mechanic suggested, as my only solution, to rebuilt transmission, which cost an additional $ $3,300. VW of America, denied any reimbursement, because warranty expired in January 2011.they can not explain why dmf faild.they just lost one customer.

- River Edge, NJ, USA

Mar 272012

Jetta

This vehicle is a 2006 turbo diesel VW Jetta. I was driving on the highway when engine failed, no warning lights. Experienced loss of power, rough idling, valve train noise and transmission noise. Had vehicle towed to certified mechanic. Mechanic found complete loss of compression on one piston and scored lifters. Also dual mass flywheel was making loud noise and needs to be replaced. Volkswagen dealership quoted est 1800 dollars for parts and labor for flywheel and certified mechanic recommends rebuilt engine for appx 5000 dollars plus labor to install. Estimate will be complete next week. Total will est around 9 to 10,000 dollars for towing, inspecting vehicle to find issues, parts and labor. Spoke with Volkswagen of America consumer advocate who offered us $750 off a new VW. This vehicle has been well cared for with appropriate oil changes using VW approved oil. Most of the mileage was obtained as highway miles.

- Stevensville, MI, USA

Jan 192012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

2006 Jetta tdi serious clatter coming from underneath close to transmission. Sounds like tin can clattering while in park or idling. Took to dealership was told it was a normal diesel clatter. After research and getting much worse found it is a defective dsg flywheel hundreds of complaints found online about this. VW has now replaced the defective flywheel with a new one. But has not recalled this part!

- Farmersville , TX, USA

Mar 142012

Jetta

The car developed a rattle around 80000 miles, after searches on the internet I was sure the dual mass flywheel (dmf)was failing. I took the car to the dealer today and they confirmed it was the dmf. They also confirmed this is a common problem and volks refuses to do anything if car is out of warranty. Other countries are already making volks recall theses cars and replace the dmf. The cost of this repair is $1800. This problem affects about 30% of cars and can cause transmission failure which will lead to another $4200 dollar repair. I would really like to get help in getting volks to help with this repair.

- Dover, NC, USA

Mar 072012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

At interstate speed, I heard a bang and the dsg transmission dropped into first gear. I was almost rear-ended by other motorists due to the sudden deceleration, but was able to make it to the right shoulder. All transmission indicator lights were flashing along with the check engine icon. I was able to limp home with only first gear available! fault code analysis shows a mechatronic module failure inside the dsg. Dealer said there were many dsg units recalled last summer, but mine was not on the list. :(

- Mount Juliet, TN, USA

Feb 172012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I own a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta tdi diesel (brm engine code). This car has died on me 4 times now, 3 three times on the expressway. It always happens when the engine gets to normal operating temperature and when I come to a stop. It does not happen any other time. By the way it acts, I assumed it was some sort of fuel problem. Due to the mild winter here in southern Indiana the fuel is not gelling. Code reader displays "no codes". I changed the fuel filter. Then the fuel pump relay, and today I installed a new fuel pump. I started the car and let it warm up for about 20 minutes. I drove it down the road, slowed to a stop and it died. It will start back up after the engine cools down some. This car was at our local Volkswagen dealership for 3 days. Even after they consulted with VW tech's they couldn't figure it out.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Feb 282012

Jetta

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for unrelated repairs when the mechanic advised the contact that the dual mass flywheel would have to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for repair. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Cotton Valley, LA, USA

Feb 012012

Jetta 5-cyl

I was informed by niello Volkswagen when I took my car in to be serviced for 2 recalls that I had a major oil leak. I then brought my vehicle in to sacramento european on 2/1/12 for an oil change and to find out what was the cause of my oil leak. I was informed by them that I did not have an oil leak, but a transmission leak. They stated that there was a technical service bulletin out that this is a known problem that the seal that joins the 2 transmission components is leaking. Clearly since there is a service bulletin out that this is a known problem, the transmissions that they have in these Volkswagen cars are defective and need to be replaced. My transmission is slipping when it shifts into second and third gears and also when I brake.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Jul 012011

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I started to notice a rattling noise prior to a dmf flywheel failure. The failure caused to vehicle to come to an uncontrolled out of control stop at a 68 mph speed. This problem is known by VW America and has been a under a recall order in the uk. VW has a repair kit for this known problem with a $1,600 instillation cost and has failed to contact owners and alert them to the life threatening result of this known catastrophic failure. Also, a catastrophic failure will result is complete transmission replacement (+8,000.00) and possibly the injury or death of the occupants due to an uncontrolled slide and drift and high speed.

- Zeeland, MI, USA

Jan 042012

Jetta

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that the vehicle would not shift out of first gear. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer and they were in the process of diagnosing the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 66,783. The VIN was unavailable.

- Coppell, TX, USA

Dec 152011

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

While traveling at a speed of 45mph at 5:40pm on 12/15/11 my '06 Jetta tdi suddenly stopped driving. It sounded as though the car had slipped into neutral. This happened on hwy 83 in delafield. Hwy 83 is one of the busiest highways in Wisconsin. We were unable to pull out of traffic and were stranded in the left of the 2 lanes. Our hazards were turned on as traffic started to pull around us we were calling aaa for a tow. Within 5 minutes of the stall we caused a 5 car pile up. Of the 5 cars, 2 were totaled. 2 other had significant damage. One had minor. We sustained no damage as we were not hit. Car was towed to a transmission repair shop where they found the dual mass flywheel to have caused the failure. $4,500 - $5,000 estimated repair from that shop. $5000 "minimum" from hall imports of brookfield. How many more people's lives will you allow to be jeopardized before you do something about this transmission problem" I am horrified that I caused an accident of this size! VW stopped making tdi's after 2006...why? did they realize there was a problem? are you going to wait until someone is killed before you take action? I am going to research class action lawsuits to see if this group of VW owners has a case against VW. And what is the NHTSA's responsibility to take this further than just accepting complaints"

- Wales, WI, USA

Aug 172011

Jetta 5-cyl

The transmission is slipping between 3 and 4 gear and between 4 and 5 gear.

- Calimesa, CA, USA

Nov 252011

Jetta 4-cyl

Vehicle stopped moving after stopping at the traffic light. Engine starts but car will not move. Shift position indicator flashing. Vehicles towed to the Volkswagen garage. Needs mechatronics transmission module replaced. Almost $2300 repair.

- Longmont, CO, USA

Sep 112007

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Dsg transmission stutters (jerks) from a stop or to a stop. It also occurs less noticeably at highway speeds. The lurches from a stop feels like it is going to leave the car dead in the middle of the road.

- Provincetown, MA, USA

Jul 202011

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Clutch broke in the car it is a know defect with the type clutch's this car was built with Volkswagen is aware of the defects and issued a tsb in 2007 1 year after my car was built but the sold the car as a certified pre-owned VW with the known defective parts. The parts now broke and VW is refusing to repair the defective parts. There are thousand of VW Jettas affected by these bad parts.

- Alverda, PA, USA