2006 Volkswagen Jetta drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta:

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Feb 132009

Jetta

I paid $1300 in repairs even though complaining of symptoms leading up to my failure while still under warranty. After repair I have discovered this is a common failure for my vehicle which could easily lead to catastrophe should failure occur at speed. I first reported a shudder when clutch engaged which dealer claimed was within VW's specs. The shudder grew worse then a "loose pebbles" noise was heard at idle. When the dealer heard this noise, they referenced a tsb and diagnosed an impending dual mass flywheel failure. I was fortunate to discover before the failure(which was immanent) as the failure would have destroyed the $6000 dsg transmission and if it occurred at speed could lock up the drive train.

- Georgetown, KY, USA

Oct 122008

Jetta

On a return trip from New Hampshire to Connecticut on interstate 91 in my 2006 VW Jetta tdi, I depressed the clutch and the pedal became stuck at the floor. I worked to free it, but being unable to do so, coasted to the side of the road. With no ability to put the vehicle in gear, we (myself and my family) were stuck in a dangerous location. I was able to free the pedal, but the clutch no longer worked and we had to wait there for assistance. The vehicle had less than 50,000 miles and I was told that the clutch assembly needed to be replaced, though there was little wear on the clutch surface. With some investigation on the internet, I found that this appears to be a very common problem and I believe it is a safety problem that should be corrected by VW.

- Canton Center, CT, USA

Mar 142008

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The flywheel has failed and disabled the vehicle. This is an unsafe and under designed component of the drive train. The flywheel self destructed. In all my years I have never heard or experienced a flywheel self destruction on a car 2 years old with 30K miles.

- Yonkers, NY, USA