2006 Volkswagen Jetta drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta:

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Aug 302016

Jetta

My car has some shifting problems when in motion.my car has a jerking motion that it does when going into gears and when slowing down its rough going down gears.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Jul 042016

Jetta

I have two major saftey problems that could have ended in a fatality.first my transmission went out without a warning while I was on the interstate going 75 mph and a 18 wheeler was behind me the car dropt down to 40 mph and I almost got rearended by the semi.I had the transmission rebuild.second thing I pulled out of burgerking and the car has no power and about got tboned and theres no check engine light on.

- Jonesborough, TN, USA

Apr 062016

Jetta

My Volkswagen Jetta tdi 2006 got the prnds flash of death, and I found out it was the mechatronic unit when I took it to the shop. I was driving on the highway going 75mph when the flashes started to occur. I couldn't give my engine any power and I started to decelerate at a quick pace, and the vehicle behind me almost hit me. This is a major saftey issue for me and for all other occupants on the highway, because my faulty car could have caused a major accident, that could have resulted in many injuries. I want to bring this attention to the NHTSA to, provide me with more information as to why the vehicle is faulty, and the amount of trouble I would be in if I didn't manage this situation like I did to protect myself and everyone else.

- Austin, TX, USA

May 202014

Jetta

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving approximately 25 mph, the transmission shifted from drive into neutral independently without warning. The engine was turned off. After restarting, the vehicle resumed normally. The failure recurred five times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 199,000.

- Danville, KY, USA

May 102016

Jetta

Transmission hard shifting within 15 minutes of vehicle start. Loud clunk noise thru 4 gears. Car in garage. Ost 50-75 degrees. Air bag light comes on with wiring extension completed.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Mar 012016

Jetta

Automatic transmission shifts hard and sometimes fail to shift. The is a major safety concern while operating the vehicle.

- Milton, GA, USA

Nov 272015

Jetta

Camshaft failure due to excessive wear on a vehicle with 160,000 miles despite using VW recommended $505.01 specification oil and regular maintenance. Engine developed a rattling noise at highway speed, decreased performance, excessive black smoke coming out of tail pipe, and $1500 repair bill. Dual mass transmission flywheel failure on a vehicle with 120,000 miles resulted in rattling noise in the transmission, vibration of the whole vehicle and $1200 repair bill. Both of these issues are widespread. Multiple owners of this year/make/model have experienced these exact same issues due to poor quality parts originally installed by the manufacturer. Manufacturer should recall the affected vehicles and fix these issues due to them being widespread. There are numerous discussions on public forums of these issues as well.

- Cedar Hill, TX, USA

Dec 102013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle speed decreased to 20 mph and all the instrument panel lights illuminated. When shifting into a gear, the vehicle would jerk. The failures recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the module and transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 138,000.

- Tucker, GA, USA

May 012014

Jetta

Transmission shifting problem. The transmission was not controlling at any nominal cruising speed, or when accelerating from a stop. Safety concern. Car was shifting when it didn't need to shift, I.e. out of 6th at high speeds when the terrain and speed hadn't changed. It would shift out of gear the way you do in a manual transmission, but instead of shifting back in immediately, it would hesitate (rpms drop significantly) so that the car was essentially idling between gears. Then it would shift back in to a gear for a few seconds, and then shift again inappropriately with the same hesitation. When it would shift back in sometimes it would do the hard shift. The check engine light came on at times but not always. The car couldn't seem to figure out what gear it needed to be in, and it kept shifting in and out of the higher gears even though the driver hadn't changed the speed and the terrain was the same. It was much worse during the heat of the day. Whereas the problem is hardly perceptible at night. Still it seemed to be shifting between 6th down to 5th when it didn't need to. The problem seems to repeat over and over. The check engine light came on at some point, but was not on this morning.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jul 092014

Jetta

While driving in the highway the car's transmission suddenly downshifted by it-self and would not respond to the engine's acceleration commands. Since than is has been more often, and has caused fear and anxiety. There is no warning signs on the dashboard to notify the driver of any problems. I researched this issue and found out that there were other people that had the same problem, and there was a recall on the model 2007 and new-er. The 2006 model is not for some reason included in this recall. I contacted Volkswagen and it was just a waste of time.

- Huntingdon Valley, PA, USA

Jan 192015

Jetta 4-cyl

After replacing the cam shaft and timing belt I took the car for a test drive. The problems were apparent, a hard shift from a stop into first gear and hard shifts all the way to 4th gear. From a full stop it will not respond to the accelerator and if it does it jolts. Multiple times crossing traffic the accelerator does not respond, and I have nearly been hit multiple times. I brought it into a service shop and they have said it is the mechatronics unit that controls the transmission. I was told that is an issue in many vehicles like mine, and to report it to NHTSA and Volkswagen.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Dec 232014

Jetta 5-cyl

While driving the transmission slips or will not change gears while the gas pedal is being stepped on also after a stop it will not engage at times it stays on 5 gear while moving slowly and will not down shift.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Dec 072014

Jetta 4-cyl

While I was driving on a busy road, while accelerating my engine started revving, and it would not move. I pulled over safely but was unable to push the car in neutral. When turning the car off and on again, my prdns on dash was flashing. The car will not move forward while in drive or backwards while in reverse. When I put the car in neutral nothing happens. I have seen that there are recalls on 2007 Volkswagen Jetta transmissions, but wondering if this could be part of that problem.

- Sun Valley , NV, USA

Nov 112014

Jetta

Purchased a "pre-owned certified" 2006 Volkswagen Jetta after hitting 90,000 miles the catalytic converter and cv boot need to be replaced.

- South Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 142014

Jetta

At highway speed, car suddenly went into neutral with a flashing prnds on the instrument cluster and "press brake pedal" indicator. Once pulled over on the road, car would lock in park and was unable to move the vehicle. Car has been diagnosed as having a faulty mechatronic unit. Previous recalls have been issued for 2009-2010 mechatronics for the same issue, but not this 2006. NHTSA action number is PE09035 and recall number is 09V333000 for the 2009-2010 cars. Volkswagen needs to realize the scope is far broader than just 2009-2010 cars. This vehicle also suffers from the driver's door wiring harness failure like many others (unable to lock doors, operate windows, etc).

- Reston, VA, USA

Aug 012012

Jetta

Electrical problems have been abundant in this vehicle starting in 2012. Driver side door locks work randomly. The car responds to the keys randomly even with a new battery. Alarm will sound when it fails to respond to key. Over the last year lights go out monthly. Shifter electronics failed. Repaired in June 2014. Mechanic had no idea why it would go out which was cause for my concern.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 092014

Jetta 5-cyl

Currently experiencing a problem with the body valve in the transmission on my Jetta. There was an extended warranty for this part that ended in 2012. I am experiencing this problem with my car now and it is a safety hazard. My car shifts so hard between 1st and 4th gear and will have a significant lag time between acceleration which during traffic, can cause numerous problems. VW won't offer any reimbursement to pay for this to be fixed because it is outside of the warranty however I think it is ridiculous when they know there was an issue with the part in the first place. So now I am stuck paying another $1,500 repair bill for this car in addition to all other repairs I have paid for. I know I am not the only one now experiencing this problem after the end date as I have called numerous body shops and dealerships who have shared that there have been multiple others with the same problem.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Aug 302014

Jetta 5-cyl

Upon research on blogs and reviews the 2006 Jetta has several of the same issues. Car has 54K miles and cv boots are cracked and needing replacements. The headliner dropped while driving impairing visibility of road ways and hinders view out back windows. Drivers side wiring harness.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 012014

Jetta 5-cyl

When the dsg transmission shifts from 2nd to 3rd it does not engage, the RPM gauge almost redlines, then when it engages to 3rd it jerks and the wheels pill out, this is very dangerous and life threatening to me especially since this is my only vehicle I have to get to work! Volkswagen will not fix my vehicle because they said the dsg transmission is sealed. I would like Volkswagen healed responsible for manufacturing an inferior product and selling it to americans putting me in danger. I would like your attorneys to file a class action lawsuit against VW for 1 billion dollars on behalf of the american people, I believe that will make them up, you all have a blessed day and don't buy a Volkswagen.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 032014

Jetta

TL * the contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving approximately 40 mph, the mounts snapped that secured the engine and transmission. As a result, the engine and transmission detached from the vehicle. The vehicle stalled and was unable to be restarted. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, who stated that the transmission and front driver side axle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000.

- Frostburg , MD, USA