2006 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta:

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Feb 122011

Jetta 4-cyl

Ignition key will not go in the key hole. It is as if you are trying to start some other car. It happened at parking lot without any warning.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Mar 102011

Jetta

Add one more 2006 Jetta at 70000 miles in which the driver's side door harness broke losing electrical power to all systems controlled by door controls.

- Iowa, IA, USA

Jan 022011

Jetta 5-cyl

In the past year we have felt nothing but disappointment and frustration with our Jetta. The most concerning issue to us is that all controls and power on the driver side door do not work. We are unable to put down any windows from the driver's side door, unlock or lock any doors, open the gas cap or open the trunk. The blinker on the driver's side mirror does not work, the safety light at the bottom of the driver's side door does not work when the door is opened, there is no control of the child safety locks, and the driver's side and passenger side mirrors cannot be adjusted. I know that Volkswagen takes great pride in the safety of its vehicles, and as one can see, with the loss of power to the driver's side door a substantial amount of these features are useless. I shutter to wonder if the airbags in the car are also on same wiring as the driver's door. These are all huge safety concerns to us. And now, within the past two weeks the trunk sporadically won┐T close and the battery is loosing its charge, which we know may be a normal maintenance issue, but it is just one more thing. It feels as if there is a new issue every week!. we now feel 'stuck┐ with this vehicle that we are unable to afford to fix. So we avoid driving it as much as possible because we don┐T believe it is safe to drive our family with two young children around in. In addition to the safety concerns, the car cannot be driven through a drive through restaurant or a tollbooth since the driver's side window will not come down. I┐M sure this is not the reputation Volkswagen wants for its vehicles. We are very disappointed and feel helpless. I have read this complaint repeatedly on this website and wonder why this has not been recalled? please help!

- Mayville, NY, USA

Mar 102011

Jetta 4-cyl

Driver's side wiring harness failure - several wires in the wiring harness between the passenger compartment and driver door have failed, making it impossible to operate windows, door locks, release fuel door, and release trunk from driver door. The failed wiring also results in a constant door ajar indication on the instrument panel and illumination of the front dome and entry lamps. Safety systems may be compromised if the onboard computer believes the door is ajar. VW states that this is a problem that they are familiar with, yet the cost for repair is over $400.

- Wheeling, IL, USA

Feb 262011

Jetta

Our 2006 Volkswagen Jetta definitely has electrical problems they all do!!!! when we purchased ours 1 year ago it was winter and our trunk latch wouldn't work the 1st night we got it. We brought it back to the VW dealer and they replaced it - and the next day it did it again - then they told me it was because it was cold out that is why my trunk did not close. Now after countless lights changed and the Cadillac converter changed. My drivers side door light does not recognize my door is open and does not come on and it immediately got worse my two front windows are going up and down - my window lock switch is still on when the car is off - so I have to look up close and push again until the light is off. **********************took to VW they want $92 just to look at************recall recall my VW dealer told me today that there is an airbag recall on my 2006 Jetta 2.5 why were we not notified that is definitely a safety issue especially with my children!!! need to investigate electrical issues that is a safety concern.

- Bidddeford, ME, USA

Jul 112010

Jetta

Bought used Volkswagen Jetta turbo. After one year of perfect functioning, the interior lights and air conditioning have totally stopped functioning. Mechanic can't figure it out. Additionally, trunk latch would not latch upon opening trunk.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Sep 192010

Jetta 4-cyl

I have a 2006.5 VW Jetta tdi which I purchased new in summer 2006. Starting in Sept 2010 we have had an endless problem with door ajar sensor. While driving the dome lights and ajar light come on and off constantly. The alarm system arms itself and goes off when parked and the sensors stop working. I have had both door sensors changed along with latch assembly to no avail, now the shop indicates it is the wiring harness. Yesterday I received a letter from VW about other wiring harness problems associated with the side impact airbag system. (service action 97U3/T3) though they don't call it a recall.

- Apo, AE, USA

Jan 242011

Jetta 5-cyl

My 2006 VW Jetta 2.5 L has had the passenger side seat warmer catch fire and cause holes in my seat. As I dropped off one of my children to school today I noticed a black hole with glowing orange embers in the seat! I touched it and realized my seat had caught on fire! thank god my child was already out of the car and was wearing a heavy coat and wasn't burned by it. Definitely a huge safety issue and I'm lucky no one was injured!

- Ridgely, MD, USA

Oct 012010

Jetta 4-cyl

The car doesn't recognize that the door is open. The interior lighting does not come on and the notification that the headlights remain on is not functional. This has left me with a dead battery twice. Also, the car alarm rearms itself if the engine is not started within 30 seconds. I believe this is a safety issue in that the lighting is not functional which is a security concern at night.

- Fort Collins, CO, USA

Dec 102010

Jetta

Driver's side wiring harness failure - several wires in the wiring harness between the passenger compartment and driver door have failed, making it impossible to operate windows, door locks, release fuel door, and release trunk from driver door. There is no manual release for the fuel door. The failed wiring also results in a constant door ajar indication on the instrument panel and illumination of the front dome and entry lamps. Safety systems may be compromised if the onboard computer believes the door is ajar.

- Owings, MD, USA

Nov 302010

Jetta 4-cyl

I got into the car and went to open the rear doors for my two children and put them in the car. They got in the car and the door open alarm continued even after the door was closed. I reopened and closed the door and it finally stopped. The next time I opened the door the windows would not go down, the locks did not work and I could not adjust the mirrors. I went to the dealership and they have said it was the wiring harness between the door and the car. A wire had broken and they ordered a replacement harness. After investigating the issue, I see their are a lot of people with the 2006 VW Jetta tdi with the same issue. I see this as a safety issue, due to the fact that in an emergency I would struggle with exiting the car with my two children. It also means an exposed wire is a regular occurrence with the vehicle.

- Pebble Beach , CA, USA

Nov 222010

Jetta 4-cyl

Brake light switch failure.

- West Hartford, CT, USA

Nov 102010

Jetta 4-cyl

My Volkswagen Jetta tdi regularly stopped working, about once every six months beginning when it was less than 6 months old. Under warranty the dealership fixed it the first time by "replacing a relay" they said, but not really because it continued to happen. The second time when it was about a year old and still under warranty, the dealership said by the time it was towed to them it had begun working again so they couldn't fix it. They said unless it was not working when they had it in their shop they couldn't fix it, although they could see something had happened. It would simply stop working or not start. After the warranty ran out I began taking it to a VW trained mechanic who also told me he couldn't fix it because it was intermittent and would start working again before the tow truck got it to his shop. He said it was due to "one of the several computers not talking to one of the other computers". he could see a record in the car that something had been not working, but the car ran by the time it got to him. Toward the end, it would die on the highway and I feared for my life and that of the children who rode in my car. I traded it in, already not working again, for a new car that I felt I could trust. Through out all this, I could not contact anyone at VW except someone who told me they were sorry, but VW could not do anything for me. The problem started happening when the car was new and continued to happen and was never resolved. It was dangerous to drive. The date below is merely the latest incident.

- Fort White, FL, USA

May 222010

Jetta

2006 Jetta tdi 58,229 miles today / purchased from 2nd owner at 53K miles 34mpg in town / 42.5mpg highway wife driven with light foot. Oil change and fuel filter replaced at 53K miles background: Car was purchased early Dec 2009, with in 2 weeks it was at the dealer for a non start issue. Car was garaged over a 3 day weekend and not driven at all. Monday my wife goes to start it and it will not start, after telling me I try for 3 minutes to get it started and it finally starts. Taken to dealership and they find no issues, they blame cold start as the culprit. This is a bs call as the car was and is always garaged at 50+ degrees F. roughly 3 weeks later the same situation happens and the car goes back to the dealer. To no avail they still could not replicate the issue nor find a solution. The no start issue/ hard start issue seemed to progress from sitting for 3 days and not starting to randomly multiple times a week not starting. They still cannot find a solution. I firmly believe this is a fuel issue. On to today's issue: First noticed 3 weeks ago while attempting to pass a car on the interstate at 70mph (around 4K RPM), the car down shifted and stuttered rather then increasing speed. I thought it was a 1 time issue until I started noticing it more and more. Now it happens frequently and more pronounced starting at even 35mph/3400 RPM in 3rd gear. From 10am Tuesday to 5pm Friday our Jetta was back at the dealership because of a stutter/power loss issue. They did replace the fuel filter today as well as test the fuel (which tested fine), the egr valve was cleaned with a carb cleaner. The service manager drove the car often and has been able to replicate the power loss / stutter, however they cannot find anything wrong. They called the VW tech line multiple times and still no fix once again. Car died several times today. Turning onto the highway the car stuttered and then.5 miles later it died at 45mph in traffic. Pulled over and cranked for 3 minutes.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Apr 222010

Jetta

There is a defect within the wiring harness that causes most of the vehicle electronics to shutdown and occasionally stops the vehicle while driving. I can provide pics of the wiring issue if needed. The issue usually occurred when driving in very wet conditions. After the first time it happened, the problem grew worse as the wiring was chafed more & more over time. The Jetta tdi's should be recalled to have the harness checked & repaired before someone dies in a car crash.

- Blairstown, NJ, USA

Apr 102010

Jetta

Brittle wiring insulation located in the doors. Wiring on a 2006 VW Jetta, after 50,000 miles the use of electronics and lights on drivers door failed. Inspection of the wiring harness showed cracked wiring insulation, chaffed wiring and broken wires where the electrical harness were subject to movement from the door operation.

- Soldotna, AK, USA

Dec 012009

Jetta

Several wires in the wiring harness between the passenger compartment and driver door have failed, making it impossible to operate windows, door locks, release fuel door, and release trunk from driver door. There is no manual release for the fuel door. The failed wiring also results in a constant door ajar indication on the instrument panel and illumination of the front dome and entry lamps. The wire insulation and strands appeared to be brittle, which raises concerns about other wiring in the vehicle. This wiring was inside a protective rubber boot, integral to the harness, between the cabin and door. There was no moisture or debris within the boot when it was opened to inspect the wiring.

- White Sulphur Springs, WV, USA

Nov 162006

Jetta

An ongoing problem with a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta 1.9L tdi automatic dsg with 87,000 miles. A video of it in action: www.youtube.com/watch?V=7lsex_-B_O0 while driving, the car will go into neutral and all the dashboard lights will come on with different sounds. Changing the shifter into P, N, D, R, S (sportmode) does nothing. Changing into the tiptronic mode does nothing. This is one incident of a series of incidents that have been happening sporadically for the past year, but this has been happening on and off since before thanksgiving 2009. We've been on the phone with Volkswagen of America and they have no solution. The dealership (paradise Volkswagen 760-200-4000) has done numerous "repairs" to the car including: Misc diagnosis 12/28-"? new steering rack 12/6-12/22 sensor and electrical module 12/1-12/16 misc diagnosis on 11/16-11/20 we feel very unsafe in the car - what if it happened on the freeway"

- Palm Springs, CA, USA

Aug 142009

Jetta

Driving on I-95 in jacksonville, fl, it was raining with some pounding (approx. 1 inch of water) on the roadway. I was maintaining a speed of 35-45 mph when the epc and traction control warning lights illuminated on the dashboard. At first the car behaved normally but after about 5 minutes it lost power and would not accelerate above 1500 RPM. Fortunately I was able to quickly take an exit ramp off the freeway and coast into a gas station, the car continuing to refuse to accelerate. I turned the car off and waited for about 5 minutes. I started up again and drove around the gas station and things seemed normal again, although the epc light was still illuminated. Stopped again and waited another 5 minutes. Upon starting up again, both warning lights were gone and the car behaved and accelerated normally. This defect could have caused me to get stopped in traffic on a busy freeway possibly causing a crash and injuries. I was very lucky that it happened where it did and I was able to pull off to safety.

- Columbus, OH, USA

May 142007

Jetta

Vehicle trunk unlatches while vehicle is standing or in motion, with or without the engine running. Items in trunk may spill onto highway, causing accident or injury.

- Randleman, NC, USA