2006 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta:

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Aug 302016

Jetta

My car has some shifting problems when in motion.my car has a jerking motion that it does when going into gears and when slowing down its rough going down gears.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Apr 062016

Jetta

My Volkswagen Jetta tdi 2006 got the prnds flash of death, and I found out it was the mechatronic unit when I took it to the shop. I was driving on the highway going 75mph when the flashes started to occur. I couldn't give my engine any power and I started to decelerate at a quick pace, and the vehicle behind me almost hit me. This is a major saftey issue for me and for all other occupants on the highway, because my faulty car could have caused a major accident, that could have resulted in many injuries. I want to bring this attention to the NHTSA to, provide me with more information as to why the vehicle is faulty, and the amount of trouble I would be in if I didn't manage this situation like I did to protect myself and everyone else.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jun 152011

Jetta

Originally, the turbo would lose boost and the engine would lose power. After some time, particularly during wet weather, the car will suddenly vibrate, jolt, and then the engine warning chime sounds. The tachometer drops to zero, the oil pressure light comes on, the stability control shuts off, the glow plug lights flash, rear window defroster will not work, cruise control wont work, and if the car is shut off it will not restart. This is particularly dangerous during snow or rain, as the car loses traction control during weather in which it is most important to have. Also, if the car dies and is on the shoulder of the road, during rain or snow, there is poor visibility and it increases the risk of someone hitting the disabled car. I have seen many mentions of this same effect happening on other 2006 tdi models, and it seems to be a recurring issue with this particular model and engine type. The root cause appears to be an electrical harness that runs in the engine compartment chafing over time, which happens outside of the warranty period, but causes significant safety concerns with its failure mode.

- Bordentown, NJ, USA

Jul 052013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving at various speeds, the parking warning light illuminated intermittently. In addition, the air bag warning light illuminated and the fuel tank leaked intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the wiring harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Penngrove, CA, USA

Dec 012015

Jetta

My vehicle has had previous electrical issues as they pertain to the driver side door and window and its connection to its power draw and battery. In 2014, there was an extended warranty placed on my particular vehicle for replacement and repair of the window/door motor mechanics and wiring harness. I am now experiencing recurring issues and my brand new battery's charge will not hold - often beyond 24 hours as a failure is causing a power draw to drain the car's battery.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Dec 282015

Jetta

My VW Jetta has had issues losing electronic power steering on and off, typically when it rains or the roads have been salted and it is slushy or snowing. This last week I was driving and I lost traction control, cruise control, tachometer, ABS brakes and oil pressure. The car would not idle. Researching the issue, I found there may be an issue with the wiring harness. I inspected the harness and discovered that several wires have been chafed by the plastic loom and worn through the insulation, exposing the wires. I also discovered that the positive cable to the starter had chafed and worn through the ground wire insulation creating a potential hazard to short the battery.

- Dekalb, IL, USA

Dec 132011

Jetta

About 4 years ago, I took my Jetta to the Volkswagen dealer in regard to front airbags recall. The light would not go off. They repaired it, but after a year the light came back on and stayed on. When I call the dealer, I was told I would have to pay for an inspection of the car before they can determine if it is defective or not. It seems to me they did not fix the problem and I should not have to pay for it. Also my horn want off, one day, and the only way I was able to stop it, was to pull the fuse out. When I put the fuse back, the horn would not work. Nothing wrong with the fuse.. my yellow engine light keep coming on, especially when I use my A/C and there is a very strange smell in the car. I only have 55000 miles on this car. And to top it all, while driving the car, I got a icon lighting up in regard to my coolant. The little black tube that connects to the reservoir had slipped off and all the antifreeze fell out of it onto the engine. Owning a Volkswagen is a real nightmare, had Honda before, put over 130000 miles on it and never had any problem.will definitely never buy Volkswagen again and will not recommend it. To anyone

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Feb 282015

Jetta

Tdi engine wiring harness chafed inside the wire loom cause numerous electrical issues. Including ABS, steering module, airbag, engine speed sensor, temperature gauge, and stability control. Very difficult and costly to diagnose.

- Rumford, RI, USA

Apr 232014

Jetta

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the wiring harness needed to be modified. A few months later, the air bag warning lamp illuminated again. The dealer charged $125 for the repair and stated that a new air bag may be needed at the cost of approximately $750. The failure mileage was 103,300.

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

Jun 112015

Jetta 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving at an unknown speed, the contact fell asleep and crashed into a pole. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained head and mouth injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle sustained extensive front end damage and was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000. Updated 8/6/15 the consumer also experienced a problem with the windows and door locks. Updated 08/11/15

- Sacremento, CA, USA

Feb 272015

Jetta 4-cyl

Driver seat lower right back overheated. Burnt a hole in the seat and melted the coat I was wearing. Smell of burning in the car and intense heat on my back. Turned off the seat heat. When I arrived at my destination, noticed the burn in the seat and later noticed a burn on my coat. Interior of the car is well maintained, never flooded or abused. Now I have a car driver seat that is badly damaged, a ruined coat and scared to operate the car or to park in my garage in fear of a fire that could burn down my house and car putting my self and family in harms way. I have noticed several VW cars in the past with the same problem in the same spot and was always thankful that it was not my car. Now it is my car with the same problem. Called the VW dealer and they said that there is not a recall on this. This is a problem that can cause a bad burn on a person. I am glad I had a coat on while driving, otherwise I would have had to seek medical treatment for the burn. Would like to see VW correct the problem and replace the seat at no charge to the owners. This is a preventable problem that needs corrected.

- Shickshinny, PA, USA

Feb 272015

Jetta

Driver seat lower right back overheated. Burnt a hole in the seat and melted the coat I was wearing. Smell of burning in the car and intense heat on my back. Turned off the seat heat. When I arrived at my destination, noticed the burn in the seat and later noticed a burn on my coat.. interior of the car is well maintained, never flooded or abused. Now I have a car driver seat that is badly damaged, a ruined coat and scared to operate the car or to park in my garage in fear of a fire that could burn down my house and car putting myself and family in harms way. I have noticed several VW cars in the past with the same problem in the same spot and was always thankful that it was not my car. Now it is my car with the same problem. Called the VW dealer, and they said that there is not a recall on this. This is a problem that can cause a bad burn on a person. I am glad I had a coat on while driving, otherwise I would have had to seek medical treatment for the burn. Would like to see VW correct the problem and replace the seat at no charge to the owners. This is a preventable problem that needs corrected.

- Shickshinny, PA, USA

Aug 012014

Jetta 5-cyl

There is no power to the driver's side front door.

- Salem, VA, USA

Jun 012014

Jetta

First noticed that the sunroof on my '06 Jetta tdi would intermittently open and (sometimes) close on it's own. Since then my door locks no longer function on the drivers side front and rear doors. I cannot use the key to lock all of the doors and activate the car alarm. The rear driver side door never locks even with the key and cannot be opened from the inside by the passenger. The alarm system will not engage and the rear windows will only operate from the driver's door. Initially these issues would come and go but have now become a continuous problem. The car cannot be secured. These issues pose a safety hazard to my family and my personal property. I was planning on passing the car down to my son when he becomes old enough to drive (in 2 years) however with these issues I do not trust the safety of this vehicle. After researching the complaints in this database I am shocked that VW has not been made to fix the problem under a recall. This is a common, recurring problem that needs to be addresses by the manufacturer.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Jul 142014

Jetta

At highway speed, car suddenly went into neutral with a flashing prnds on the instrument cluster and "press brake pedal" indicator. Once pulled over on the road, car would lock in park and was unable to move the vehicle. Car has been diagnosed as having a faulty mechatronic unit. Previous recalls have been issued for 2009-2010 mechatronics for the same issue, but not this 2006. NHTSA action number is PE09035 and recall number is 09V333000 for the 2009-2010 cars. Volkswagen needs to realize the scope is far broader than just 2009-2010 cars. This vehicle also suffers from the driver's door wiring harness failure like many others (unable to lock doors, operate windows, etc).

- Reston, VA, USA

Aug 012012

Jetta

Electrical problems have been abundant in this vehicle starting in 2012. Driver side door locks work randomly. The car responds to the keys randomly even with a new battery. Alarm will sound when it fails to respond to key. Over the last year lights go out monthly. Shifter electronics failed. Repaired in June 2014. Mechanic had no idea why it would go out which was cause for my concern.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 082010

Jetta

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that the headliner fabric detached, which distorted the contact's vision whenever the vehicle was being driven. In addition, the doors would only unlock manually. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator illuminated continuously and the horn would not activate when engaged. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Sep 202014

Jetta 4-cyl

Lost power to drivers side door. I can't get window, lock, door light to operate also no interior lights on with door open.

- Brighton, CO, USA

Mar 032014

Jetta 5-cyl

The windows, gas door, mirrors, trunk no longer work because of a faulty wiring harness that VW has acknowledged. They are only fixing vehicles with less then 100,000 miles or 8.5 years of service. It is a safety concern because the back two windows can be rolled down by children. I have 2 small children and one with downs syndrome that keeps rolling the windows down because the wiring harness has failed and VW is not going to fix the cars and instead let small children die because they can roll down the windows. Also, everytime I have to open the gas lever I scrape my arm on some pointing screws. This is ridiculous that a recall has not been issued on the VW Jetta wiring harness.

- Plano, TX, USA

Sep 182013

Jetta 5-cyl

Window on driver side sometimes are inoperative. This can be because of wires inside the drivers side door are too short. Can be a problem if in an emergency my window must be rolled down. If I'm trapped, what happens if I can't roll down my window to get out! also, ceiling headliner is coming down. Can no longer see through my rearview mirror! the headliner liner was cut too short so I can't fix it. Please help. Thank you so much.

- Springhill Hill, FL, USA