3.7

2006 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta:

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Jan 102009

Jetta

To whom it may concern: I purchased a 2006.5 Volkswagen Jetta tdi in September of 2006. I believe that I have found a major manufacturing defect that can cause fire, an accident, or both. It surely is a major safety issue, a danger to the driver, all passengers, and other cars as well. When driving the vehicle, the car has total loss of power. After a failed repair attempt by my dealer, I took it upon myself to investigate the problem. I found that the main engine feed harness has major wire chafing causing wires to contact each other, potentially causing fire. This also causes the car to stall with all power lost. I directed myself to the tdi forum where many VW enthusiasts and service tech's gather to talk about their cars. I quickly found many other owners finding the same problem. Bare wires rubbing together. I have reason to believe that VW is aware of the problem as well. The only way to properly correct the problem is a new engine harness, with a larger loom, or padding around the wires.

- Tyngsboro, MA, USA

Sep 132005

Jetta

Power train, electrical and trim problems.

- Oakville, 00, USA

Sep 122008

Jetta

Steering wheel is failing electrically. Air bag fault in passenger side, no horn or other wheel controls. Real/unrealized safety hazard(s) due to non working electronics in steering wheel.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Aug 032008

Jetta

The brake light stays on and will not turn off resulting in a dead battery and a very unsafe condition while driving. I drove for a half a day without knowing the light was staying on. A couple of people honked at me, but I did not know why. I also could not figure out why my cruise control did not work. I figured out the brakelight switch was not working when I came out of home depot after dark and I thought I left my lights on. It turned out it was the brakelight switch. I called a volkswagon repair shop and they said there was a recall on it and I should not have to pay. When I called Volkswagen dealer service to repair it, they denied any recall. I did a little search on the internet and I now see they have a history of brakelight switch failures on Jettas and beetles. They told me my vehicle is out of warranty also as it has 59,400 miles on it and it is a 2006 Jetta tdi. I bought this car thinking it will go 250,000 miles with no problems and am saddened by this type of treatment for a safety issue which they have a history of. I have driven many cars over 250,000 miles without a brake switch failure. It seems Volkswagen does not know how to remedy the failures on the mexican made vehicles on something as simple as a brake light switch which should be designed for a near infinite life since it is a safety issue. It is not like a fan switch. I am probably one of the first to see the failure as I have put on an unusually high amount of miles, but most of them are highway miles. When I get it repaired, I can get the old part. I hope to get it repaired tomorrow.

- Sahuarita, AZ, USA

Jun 222008

Jetta

I have a 2006 VW Jetta tdi with approximately 70,000 miles on it. This auto was purchased to be used primarily as a commuter car for my wife and I. last week we suddenly started seeing the dashboard warning "air bag fault". upon taking it to the local vwoa dealership to have this investigated we were informed that there was a vwoa technical bulletin (that evidently had been out for some time) which indicated that some connector(s) located under the driver's seat that are related to the air bag system would need to be replaced. This is not a maintenance item nor anything that we could have caused but vwoa is indicating that due to the auto not being within the warranty (4 year and/or 50,000 miles as we've been told) that we will now have to pay approximately $400 to have this repaired. We were further informed by the vwoa service that without this repair the airbag system was considered to be in an "unstable state" and could potentially not activate the airbag when needed or possibly activate at an inappropriate time. The VW dealer also said that vwoa considers this to be so unsafe that they issue a free rental and require the repair to be made before releasing the auto again....but only if you're under warranty. Vwoa did manage to come through with some "good will assistance" (their words) by providing $200 towards the repair. This airbag issue has been a known issue with the 2006 VW Jetta (maybe other years as well I'm not sure) for some time. Vwoa indicates that this issue is not a major concern and is therefore no recall has been issued. I have read several complaints on NHTSA and other sites that seem to indicate that this is a larger issue than vwoa states. I think a recall should be issued due to the obvious safety concerns involved with the airbag system. Hopefully there will be before any injuries and/or fatalities occur.

- Wentzville, MO, USA

Jun 232008

Jetta

I purchased a 2006 Jetta attracted by an extensive list of features and conveniences that I wanted as a consumer. One of this features included the automatic window opening via remote control, feature that is not normally seen on vehicles of its class and price. Volkswagen did an update to the software to this vehicle and without my consent took that option out. I paid for that convenience and VW cant even tell me why it was removed from the computer. The dealer cant tell me either because according to them they don't even know what's on the software update. In any case I need to be compensated by this inconvenience or the software needs to be retrofitted to get me this option back.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Nov 012006

Jetta

Consumer complaint concerning the 2005-2006 A5 Jetta inaccurate speedometer reading. The speedometers reads 4-5 mph higher than the vehicle's actual speed.

- Rome, NY, USA

Aug 082006

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Speedometer is not accurate and in time I found this to be a safety issue. At first it was trucks running up on my rear bumper beeping horns at me. So when I discovered the speedometer was registering slow, I sped up. But then how much you can not tell and I find myself breaking when I see a patrol car. I was maybe 1 or 2 over but yet you just do not know. Its a distraction that I find may cause a safety issue while driving. VW does this to conform to a european standard. This could be easily calibrated out as the cars computer is aware of the correct speed as VW claims the odometer is not affected. Unecessary breaking or a road raged truck driver are safety issues.

- Okeechobee, FL, USA

Feb 142006

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The speedometer incorrectly reflects the rate of speed at which the vehicle is traveling. This can be verified by using a gps unit which will accurately reflect the "true" speed at which the vehicle is traveling. In general, the vehicle's speedometer reflects a speed that is 5-7 mph greater than the vehicles actual speed. For example, while driving on the highway, the speedometer displays the rate of speed as 70 mph, when the vehicle is actually traveling only 64 mph. You can visit the website www.tdiclub.com or www.vwvortex.com and view the forums to verify that this is an issue with all new VW Jetta vehicles and possibly other VW models. I as well as other Jetta owners would like to have this issue corrected so that our speedometers accurately reflect the rate of speed at which we are traveling.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Dec 012005

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Speedometer is 5.3% fast. Not a huge safety problem unless you do a lot of freeway driving and are constantly being passed by irate drivers because you are doing 70 instead of 75 mph. I took the vehicle in and was told it is within spec (5.3%)"??" the dealer also said they could replace parts but it would not change the calibration. VW of America tech department was aware of the problem but said "it was within spec". the speedometer is all electronic with a speed sensor - this problem could be easily corrected with a quick software fix. Not only did I pay $27000 for a new car that will not give me the correct velocity but I suspect VW of America has used a highly accurate digital speedometer and have knowingly calibrated it at the upper end of the limit in order to publish improved mileage numbers (46 mpg) should be more like 40.

- Willcox, AZ, USA