2006 Volkswagen Jetta engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta:

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Jul 032007

Jetta TDI 1.9L Tdi

Standard VW camshaft problem. It has happened a total of 3 TIMES!

First time dealer blamed it on a "broken" clip which caused the timing belt to fail which seized up the engine. Repairs included new camshaft and a host of other engine parts. My father-in-law, a 45-year diesel mechanic, strongly recommended I demand a new engine - he claimed the problem would re-present itself over and over again.

Camshaft began failing again at 150,000 miles. VW wouldn't cover any costs. At 190,000 it lost all power. Repaired out of pocket.

Camshaft began failing again at 290,000. Again VW acts like there is no connection. Each repair costs $3,500 to $4,000, but the real issue is an unsafe vehicle. A symptom is it loses power in high-speed traffic, shuts off the cruise and allows trailing tractor-trailers to sit in your back seat.

This Jetta TDI with the 1.9 engine is a death trap and has been since day-1. I now suspect that the first engine failure at 42,000 miles was camshaft related and was "duct-taped" to get the engine past the 60,000 mile warranty restriction.

By not stepping and being truthful with me about all the similar problems with this 2006 Jetta 1.9 TDI engine VW has put me and my family in danger because of sudden loss of power. They put dollars and profits in front of consumer safety.

It is well beyond the time to call for a Federal government investigation.

- , Berkeley Springs, WV, USA