2006 Volkswagen Jetta engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta:

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Jan 182014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Been to multiple dealerships claiming in fox valley il rockford il glenview il that either my mechunit is bad/faulty or dual mass flywheel is bad/faulty. Was driving where either my car would shift very rough as if someone who is very inexperienced would let go of the clutch late and shift hard/rough into 1-2-3 with clicking noises. Car just recently shifted from 2 to neutral and scared the crapout of me. The car has extreme vibration and uncontrolled shift patterns. Was turning onto my street and car went from 3-2 to neutral while my car was still in drive and went into a snow bank on side of road. Would just like to have Volkswagen contact me to either replace or fix this problem. This is very dangerous owners of a 2006 VW tdi or any automatic with dsg mechunit beware and please be careful.

- Genoa , IL, USA

Nov 142012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

While traveling on interstate 4 at 65 mph the automatic transmission went from drive to second gear by itself even though the gear selector was in drive, nearly putting me through the windshield had I not had my seat belt on. I managed to get onto the burm of the highway and stop. At this point transmission fluid was dumping all over the road and the car would no longer move and the digital gear selection light was flashing on and off continuous(prnd). Had it towed to my VW mechanic and they found that the electronic valve assembly had quit working and that the mech tronic clutch assembly was destroyed by it going from drive to 2nd. After researching on the internet, I found that VW has known about this problem and has sent out letters to customers that have 2007-2010 vehicles with this same transmission that they would replace their defective transmissions under an extended warranty or re-imburse them for repairs if done prior to this letter up to 100000 miles. I contacted VW usa and asked about my car and was told because my car was a 2006 it wasn't covered even though I got them to admit that it was the same transmission that was used for 2005.5 through 2010.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Apr 242012

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact was traveling 60 mph when the vehicle became resistant to acceleration attempts. The check engine warning light illuminated prior to the failure. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 122,000.

- Elizabethtown, KY, USA

Jul 132008

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that the vehicle would intermittently stall while driving at various speeds. The vehicle would also intermittently hesitate to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 21,000 and the current mileage was 66,000.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

May 012008

My Jetta would stall and we were almost involved in serious accidents. We brought it to dealer and they told us it was fixed and it happened again. I asked for a replacement and they refused. Problem has not occurred recently, however we were almost killed. Unsure of dates, however dealer has records.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Oct 182009

2006 Volkswagen Jetta 54000 miles 5 speed manual transmission. I was driving and while exiting a freeway offramp I depressed the clutch to disengage the transmission. Clutch pedal went to the floor and would not come back up and it did not disengage the transmission. The car would not stop, as I could not put the car in neutral. Very dangerous!

- Alamo, CA, USA

Sep 152007

I purchased a 2006 Jetta tdi and my miles are seems as though everyone I talk to with this car have the same problem. I am going 3-5 miles slower then what it is showing. I was thinking over time when I have driven 55,000 miles that I have only driven 50,000. I think this is wrong for a company to do and VW will not do a thing about it.

- Gig Harbor, WA, USA

Jun 242007

Jetta 5-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving 50 mph, the contact depressed the brake pedal, but the vehicle failed to decelerate. She shifted into neutral in order to slow down the vehicle. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. The current mileage was 14,000 and failure mileage was 12,000.

- North Haven , CT, USA

Mar 122007

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The car jumps into gear and lurches because of a hydraulic brake switch in the master cylinder that appears to tick or be delayed in transmitting the on /ff signal to the accelerator circuit which during the delay appears unresponsive as it is designed not to alow accellerating in gear while the brake is on. When the brake switch turns off, delayed up to 5 seconds, the car lurches forward as the driver expects that the accelerator is not working and keeps preassing on the gas. This lurch is very unsagfe and caused by a sticky or delayed brake switch. I have had the switch replaced once already but all of the switches appear to behave in the same unsafe, delayed manner. To reproduce the delay, put an automatic transmission 2006 Jetta tdi into drive and watch the "foot on brake" indicator on the dashborad turn off 1-5 seconds after the foot is taken off the brake.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Oct 102006

Speedometer reads 10 to 15 percent high. At 65 mph the speedometer reads 73 mph. Dealer stated this is a common problem with Jetta's and they were unable to correct.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 272006

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Unable to determine actual vehicle speed. Speedometer off by at least 5 mph. Factory considers this normal. Traffic flow may or may not be according to safe driving conditions and without accurate instrument driver unable to make a safe speed judgment.

- Jefferson, TX, USA

Jul 162006

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Speedometer displays 3-5 mph slower speed than actual. Technical service bulletin from manufacturer tt-06-19 says its by design. Problems causes cars to pass creating safety concern.

- Rockford, MN, USA

Jul 162006

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I purchased a 2006 VW Jetta (diesel) that has a 3-5 mph speedometer error in the driver's analog display. The displayed speed is lower than actual. This has caused numerous cars to pass me. This is a potential safety concern. I was told by the manufacturer that this working as designed. I installed a scan tool on the car and it reads the correct speed, while the analog display is reading 3-5 mph slower than actual. The manufacturer claims that the analog display is set for differing tire sizes.

- Rockford, MN, USA