2006 Volkswagen Jetta seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta:

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Mar 032009

Jetta

Nothing specifically happened leading up to the event but at around 52000 miles. The passenger airbag on/off indicator would no longer show that anyone was sitting in the passenger seat. The orange/yellow airbag light also has been illuminated constantly since then. I had the dealer run diagnostics in it to determine the error code. Initially they said that it was a faulty connector in the wiring, but that was discovered to not actually be the cause. Upon further inspection it was determined to be a faulty weight sensor in the passenger seat. Be agreed to cover the labor on it at first when it was thought to be a faulty wiring connector but when it was found to be the weight sensor they have not returned the dealers calls.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jun 222008

Jetta

I have a 2006 VW Jetta tdi with approximately 70,000 miles on it. This auto was purchased to be used primarily as a commuter car for my wife and I. last week we suddenly started seeing the dashboard warning "air bag fault". upon taking it to the local vwoa dealership to have this investigated we were informed that there was a vwoa technical bulletin (that evidently had been out for some time) which indicated that some connector(s) located under the driver's seat that are related to the air bag system would need to be replaced. This is not a maintenance item nor anything that we could have caused but vwoa is indicating that due to the auto not being within the warranty (4 year and/or 50,000 miles as we've been told) that we will now have to pay approximately $400 to have this repaired. We were further informed by the vwoa service that without this repair the airbag system was considered to be in an "unstable state" and could potentially not activate the airbag when needed or possibly activate at an inappropriate time. The VW dealer also said that vwoa considers this to be so unsafe that they issue a free rental and require the repair to be made before releasing the auto again....but only if you're under warranty. Vwoa did manage to come through with some "good will assistance" (their words) by providing $200 towards the repair. This airbag issue has been a known issue with the 2006 VW Jetta (maybe other years as well I'm not sure) for some time. Vwoa indicates that this issue is not a major concern and is therefore no recall has been issued. I have read several complaints on NHTSA and other sites that seem to indicate that this is a larger issue than vwoa states. I think a recall should be issued due to the obvious safety concerns involved with the airbag system. Hopefully there will be before any injuries and/or fatalities occur.

- Wentzville, MO, USA

Mar 282008

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

This is the second time the seatbelt light has come on and stayed on. The first time vwoa repaired wiring under my seat at 49,000 miles. The light is now on again, less than one year later and they will not repair it under warranty because I have more than 12,000 mile since repair. This is a problem that should be covered regardless of time. Safety is the priority and if vwoa has a safety defect they need to stand behind it.

- Ada, MI, USA

Oct 052006

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

After 3 months of driving my new Jetta, the airbag light turn on and stayed on. I took it to the dealer and they fixed it. Over the next year the airbag light came on 6 times. Once it turned on before I even left the dealerships parking lot. And yes the lemon law applies in this case. I love my Jetta but vwoa service record sucks.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 172007

Jetta Diesel

Airbag light keeps coming on with an intermittent airbag fault. 3rd time for the repair. This has been a continual problem since July 2006. Only 3 months after purchase.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Mar 092007

Jetta 5-cyl

Wife stated that when she hit brakes it was hard to stop car, did not slow, rear ended a SUV at about 30 mph which pushed front end up to windshield above bumper, pushed engine into firewall. She incurred major seat belt bruising with no air bag deployment. After inspection the insurance company found that two sensors had been distorted along with cracked engine mounts and bent cradle. They totaled the car due in part to no air bag deployment, T and felt that the car would be unsafe after repairs. After contacting Volkswagen, they said that air bag deployment should not have happened. But what if my wife had jumped into the car and forgot to put the seat belt on she would have gone through the windshield. I feel that this is a major safety defect since most accidents would over ride the bumper due to low bumper height. Volkswagen does not seem to think this is a problem from the pictures I sent them and our talk on the phone.

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Jan 072007

Jetta Diesel

The manufacturer of my vehicle and the dealer have informed me that my Volkswagen tdi's wiring harness was crushed due to a foreign object underneath the seat. Although I am contesting that the object is mine, I do think it is of concern that the wiring harness is not secured or protected in any way, and any objects that slide underneath the seat may crush this harness and may possibly render the airbag system useless.

- Andover, KS, USA

Feb 282006

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The 'passenger air bag off' light remains illuminated at all times, with no passenger in the seat. This is not problematic in the daytime but, at night, it is a serious safety hazard because of the distraction of a very bright orange light glaring at the driver. If the system is operating normally, whether it's on or off, there should not be a warning light. Having that bright orange light illuminated all the time, at night, is not safe.

- Longwood, FL, USA

Aug 082005

Jetta 5-cyl

I am continuing to have a problem on my new model 2005 Jetta. The airbag light has been on 3 times since August 2005. I am in the process of applying to the lemon law program in ct. I have spoke to the att generals office and this falls under the safety category and feels I should follow through with this. I am frustrated and concerned not knowing for sure if the airbag has been fixed or not since this past week was the third attempt of them fixing the problem.

- Bristol, CT, USA