2006 Volkswagen Jetta seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta:

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 102016

Jetta

Transmission hard shifting within 15 minutes of vehicle start. Loud clunk noise thru 4 gears. Car in garage. Ost 50-75 degrees. Air bag light comes on with wiring extension completed.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Jul 052013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving at various speeds, the parking warning light illuminated intermittently. In addition, the air bag warning light illuminated and the fuel tank leaked intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the wiring harness needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Penngrove, CA, USA

Aug 032015

Jetta

Air bag sensors - defective. I've had to replace the sensors in this vehicle twice in the last 2 years.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Dec 132011

Jetta

About 4 years ago, I took my Jetta to the Volkswagen dealer in regard to front airbags recall. The light would not go off. They repaired it, but after a year the light came back on and stayed on. When I call the dealer, I was told I would have to pay for an inspection of the car before they can determine if it is defective or not. It seems to me they did not fix the problem and I should not have to pay for it. Also my horn want off, one day, and the only way I was able to stop it, was to pull the fuse out. When I put the fuse back, the horn would not work. Nothing wrong with the fuse.. my yellow engine light keep coming on, especially when I use my A/C and there is a very strange smell in the car. I only have 55000 miles on this car. And to top it all, while driving the car, I got a icon lighting up in regard to my coolant. The little black tube that connects to the reservoir had slipped off and all the antifreeze fell out of it onto the engine. Owning a Volkswagen is a real nightmare, had Honda before, put over 130000 miles on it and never had any problem.will definitely never buy Volkswagen again and will not recommend it. To anyone

- Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Feb 282015

Jetta

Tdi engine wiring harness chafed inside the wire loom cause numerous electrical issues. Including ABS, steering module, airbag, engine speed sensor, temperature gauge, and stability control. Very difficult and costly to diagnose.

- Rumford, RI, USA

Apr 232014

Jetta

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that the air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the wiring harness needed to be modified. A few months later, the air bag warning lamp illuminated again. The dealer charged $125 for the repair and stated that a new air bag may be needed at the cost of approximately $750. The failure mileage was 103,300.

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

Jul 142015

Jetta

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving at any speed, the air bag light remained illuminated. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was approximately 129,200.

- Ames, IA, USA

Jun 082015

Jetta

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving approximately 20 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was pulled over and restarted, but began to jolt and move slowly. The dealer diagnosed that the failure was caused by "Georgia fuel" and that the fuel line needed to be repaired. Also, the passenger side air bar warning indicator remained illuminated. The dealer diagnosed that the air bag needed to be rewired. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 155,000.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Jun 112015

Jetta 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving at an unknown speed, the contact fell asleep and crashed into a pole. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained head and mouth injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle sustained extensive front end damage and was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000. Updated 8/6/15 the consumer also experienced a problem with the windows and door locks. Updated 08/11/15

- Sacremento, CA, USA

Sep 082010

Jetta

The contact owns a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that the headliner fabric detached, which distorted the contact's vision whenever the vehicle was being driven. In addition, the doors would only unlock manually. The contact stated that the air bag warning indicator illuminated continuously and the horn would not activate when engaged. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Jul 012014

Jetta

The airbag light on my 2006 VW Jetta, with only 57000 miles, came on for no apparent reason. The vehicle has never been in an accident and the air bags have never been deployed. There was a recall on the passenger front airbag a few years ago and I brought the car in at that time to have the car serviced to address that recall. When I brought the vehicle in to the local VW dealer, I was told that my passenger seat side airbag was "defective" and needed to be replaced. I was told that this airbag is located in the same location where the recall work was done. I was told by the local VW dealer that the air bag must be defective, because with such low mileage on the vehicle, there is no excuse that such airbag should be replaced due to "wear and tear." I was charged $128.40 by the local VW dealer for the diagnosis and was quoted an additional $724 plus tax for the airbag to be replaced to make the car safe to drive. The local VW dealer told me to contact VW corporate, as I should not have to pay to repair a defective airbag that was already recalled in the past. When I contacted VW corporate, I was told that they will not pay for the repair, as they do not feel that the airbag is defective (even though their own dealership says it is) and that I have to pay for this safety repair out of my own pocket. I did my research, and apparently there are many 2006 Jetta owners who are dealing with the same airbag defect issue. VW refuses to issue a recall and refuses to pay for the repair. The NHTSA must force VW to replace its faulty airbags at no cost to innocent consumers! I am afraid to drive this vehicle now and will not allow my pregnant wife in the vehicle because I was told by the local VW dealer that there is a strong possibility that none of the airbags will deploy in case of an accident because the airbag light is on and one of the airbags is defective.

- Clifton, NJ, USA

Jun 022014

Jetta 5-cyl

The driver side door wiring harness has failed and with it the driver side controls do not work. The door will not lock, the window will not roll down, the gas cap release does not work and the trunk release does not work. It also seems to have caused a short the rear driver side door as the window is stuck down and will not roll up. The airbag light also came on. I have checked all fuses and have found no problems.

- Burnsville, MN, USA

Apr 252014

Jetta 4-cyl

Was driving and the air bag light came on. Was going to take it in but then I got sideswiped while my car was parked and progressive insurance checked out my car and said it was a wiring harness that was faulty. Noticing that it's a common thing now that I'm ready this so why aren't they recalling it if it's a safety issue"?"

- Denver, CO, USA

Apr 052014

Jetta 4-cyl

Turned the key on and the airbag fault light illuminated and stays on I've tried to reset it but it will not reset. I have read on many forums and this seems like a very common issue. It should be looked at further cause it is happening in a lot of vehicles.

- Bismarck, ND, USA

Feb 102014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Air bag indication light came on while driving. Air bags did not deploy. Car was not involved in any type of collision at that time. Air bag light has been on since. SRS code not able to be cleared from memory.

- Canton, OH, USA

Feb 102014

- Canton, OH, USA

Sep 102013

Jetta

Purchased the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta in August 2014 with 116,000 miles. One month later the horn was not working. Upon doing an internet search, discovered an inordinate number of complaints that these horns become inoperable even with fewer miles. The problem comes when pressing the horn pad on the steering wheel, it does not make contact to sound the horn. The airbag assembly is located here as well so I don't feel it's safe to try to replace it myself. The quote to have this repaired was $900. Volkswagen should issue a recall on this part immediately!

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jan 242014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Our 2006 Jetta tdi had an airbag fault. We took the vehicle to a Volkswagen dealership and they tested the air code and found out that the passenger occupant detector module went bad due to a electrical malfunction in the circuit. The dealership was not able to say if the airbags were going to work on not in the case of a crash. Volkswagen is refusing to take any ownership of keeping their vehicle safe and covering the cost of the part. I contact Volkswagen usa and they gave the reason they will not cover the part because I did not have an extended warranty. I feel that Volkswagen is being neglectful to their claim on providing a safe vehicle. Now that the airbag sensor is going out, we are having more electrical problems with headlights, parking lights, taillights, brake lights, day time running lights, and turn signals.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

May 252013

Jetta 5-cyl

I swerved to miss an animal and ran off the road at 55mph and hit a tree head on and the driver airbag never deployed. Spoke to VW customer care and was told that their engineers looked at the photos not the actual car and determined that they functioned properly. I said I thought they were speed rated and was told that II could hit a wall at 100mph and the airbag might not go off. Are you kidding me!!!

- Colonial Heights, VA, USA

Feb 012013

Jetta 4-cyl

Air bag warning light appeared, dealer diagnosed as a passanger side air bag failure, rheostat in air bag wan't heating properly & bag would therefore not ignite at impact.

- Buffalo Grove, IL, USA