9.2

$4,146.00

2. new or used transmission and clutch (3 reports)
  3. transmission and clutch replaced under warranty (2 reports)
  4. replace transmission (1 reports)
2006 Volkswagen Jetta transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Volkswagen Jetta:

2006 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Jan 092014

Jetta 2.5L

I currently have transmission issues, when it started I only had about close to 108,000 miles on it. I have invested so much into this vehicle and it is not dependable. I have also contacted VW of America, of course, they did not stand behind their product. I refuse to put any more money into this vehicle, it has been one issue after the other. I have documents from VW stating that transmission is bad and needs replacing, it operates horribly.

- , Fort Pierce, FL, USA

Sep 262012

Jetta

Got it sept 2012 4 days after it stalled on me and then

Jan 15th 2013 AGAIN but only this time it was up an icy incline up a mountain (with out the kids thank goodness) it started down shifting into 1st then up to 5th and stalled but in the mean time while it did that unwanted shifting in wrong gears it caused my car to stall & when it did that EVERYTHING SHUT OFF COMPLETLY !!!! MY STEERING WHEEL WAS LOCKED & HERE I AM SLIDING DOWN A F(&(&(7 MOUNTAIN!!!!!! THANK GOD FOR THE E BRAKE BUT THAT ONLY HELPED A LIL CAUSE I WAS STILL SLIDING AND HIT THE MOUNTAIN!!!!!

OK SO IM CURIOUS WHAT ARE MY NEXT STEPS,

DEALER SAYS THERE NOT FIXING IT UNDER MY WARRANTY BECAUSE OF SOME DENT THATS ON MY TRANS, UMMMM OK I GET THAT PART BUT WHAT WOULD EXPLAIN WHY IT DID THAT BACK WHEN I BOUGHT IT????

ANYONE PLEASE HELP WITH ANY INPUT ON THIS FUC98768KED UP PICKLE IM IN NOW IM CARLESS WITH KIDS AGES 1YRS & 5 & THE DEALER IS GIVING ME THE RUN AROUND

I WAS THINKING ABOUT GETTING A LAWYER TO HELP RESOLVE THIS ISSUE AT HAND BECAUSE IM OUT OF WORK , CANT GO ANYWHERE BC ALL ITS BEEN DOING IN RAINING HERE IM LOST HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEE

- , lakewood, CA, USA

Jan 232013

Jetta 2.5L

I wish VW could fix their frickin problems. It bull shi*& they act like they have no idea whats going on and 18 other people on here have exxact same issues . rediculous

- , Livingston, CA, USA

Jun 302012

Jetta GLI 2.0L Turbo

VW has admitted to NHSTA they have problems with their DSG trans. and have agreed to repair "certain (2007-2010 models)" but refuse to do so on my 2006 Jetta (DSG) with the same problems the other models have. It was first taken to dealer in May of 2007 with shifting problems and nothing was done. In 2009 and 2010 I had transmission disengage while traveling in high temperature condition (desert) which I reported to dealer and nothing done (still under extended warranty). In June of 2012 again in high temp. cond. transmission failed to go into gear (rev. or drive) and then violently engage. On return from Arizona (high temp.) for 100 plus miles, transmission would actually disengage and re-engage while traveling on Interstate. Avoided getting ran over by big rigs barely. New DSG cost is $7000.00 and repair about $2400 to $2600 but local dealer will not "GUARANTEE FIX" for this price.

- , Rancho Dominguez, CA, USA

Aug 202012

Jetta 1.9L Tdi

I just completed my 120K service. Less than a week prior to the scheduled service I hear a unique scraping type sound unchanged by acceleration. I asked my VW specialist that services my car. He said it sounded like it was coming from DSG transmission but he doesn’t work on these transmissions. The car is running fine, except for the sound. My mechanic suggested having his colleague at a dealership check it out. I took it to the dealership service center where I was charged a $55 diagnostic. I get a call the following day saying I need a new transmission for $4,800. The dealership was unable to give me any specific reason or documentation, only that they noticed a noise that sounds mechanical in the transmission. My vehicle already had a transmission fault where the Mekatronic was replaced and transmission serviced at 38K which at that time was covered under warranty. No other information was provided by the dealership. They said they would contact VW America to request assistance. They then tell me no assistance is available. With suspicion, I start doing research on the web and find lots and lots of information about transmission problems with my model and multiple more recent models in multiple countries. I found very detailed descriptions of faulty dual mass flywheels (DMF). There are some youtube videos of faulty DMF that share the exact sound I am hearing with my car. I suggested this to the dealership and they refuse to check unless I pay for 6-8 hr of diagnostics. I have now contacted VW America via online complaint submission and am waiting for response. My wife and I sold both of our cars in 2006 in order to get the most benefit from the Jetta TDI that was touted as reliable for 250,000 to 300,000 miles and superb fuel economy. Now, it seems like the transmission or the components (DMF) can’t last past 120,000 miles. Counting the previous problem I had, the transmission components are not capable of passing 40,000 without issue. I have complaints for both the dealership service centers AND Volkswagen for making an unreliable component of their drivetrain. This problem is now very evident and based on owners comments, VW response has NOT been consistent.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 182012

Jetta Tdi

I paid around $23000 for a vehicle in 2006 in which I thought would last 250000 to 300000 because it was a Volkswagen and diesel to boot. Boy was I wrong! 115000 and now I have to replace a transmission! 70% of driving is on highway! How do you put a transmission that will not last 125000 miles with an engine that will last twice as long and charge 2x the price?!?!?! Fool me once shame on you; fool me twice shame on you! I will never buy another VW and I will spread the word!

- , Blountville, TN, USA

Dec 072011

Jetta 2.5L

Took the Jetta to Jack Ingram in Montgomery Al on a Saturday, Hooked it up to the computer and was told it was a bad valve body and asked to bring it back on Wednesday so it could be inspected by my extended warranty folks....Wednesday comes, car is at Jack Ingram, inspected and now we need a new transmission..go figure! Total price is around $5600.00...the car is a 2006 and has 114,000 miles and worth about $7500.00 at trade in...I aint that stupid that I would do something like that. My extended warranty folks said it was a $2800.00 job and no more, so I had to hunt around for someone to try to fix the car..which we are in the process of doing. The folks at Jack Ingram just left us out to dry...gave us no other option and one of the service guys there told me to just come get the car and take it someplace else..they couldn't do it for $2800.00..

I would not buy another VW for love nor money and especially one from Jack Ingram...they just wanted to break one off in us...and we bought the car there back in 2006...go figure....

How can you go from needing or having a bad valve body on a Saturday to needing a new transmission on Wednesday???

From what I am told the transmissions are only good for about 100,000 miles and then you start having problems and from what I have read on the internet this is true...

NO MO WV FO US!!!

- , Selma, AL, USA

Jan 022011

Jetta TDI 1.9L

click to see larger images

transmission failure transmission failure transmission failure

Rivets that hold ring gear together came loose and destroyed the case. Used transmissions run around $1700.00 or new transmission around $2200.00 You can find more information at http://www.vwtransaxles.com/rivet.html or just Google "VW rivet problem".

- , Du Bois, IL, USA

Oct 122010

Jetta 4 Dr Sedan Diesel

I have a 2006 VW Jetta, TDI. automatic. I change oil as required, take very good care of my car. One night while driving through town at 15/20 mph, the transmission just shift back into 1st gear and would not change. The VW dealer wanted $7,000 to fix it. I went to a Transmission dealer and got it for a little over $4,200.00. The care I take with my VW. It should have not gone bad. I wonder how many other have had this problem. Is there a recall? The 105,000 miles on this car is all highway miles.

- , St Peters, MO, USA

Apr 212007

Jetta Value 2.5L

With only 8100 miles on my brand new Jetta I was going down a road coming up to a stop sign so I down shifted and hear this bang... and then clicking, I pulled into a gas station and then I see a puddle of transmission fluid under my car. Had it towed to VW they said they had heard of this problem before that it was a factory defect on a select few Jetta's. I am VERY HAPPY with how quickly they fixed it (5 days) and gave me a rental car in the mean time. I LOVE my Jetta... by far my best car ever, just hope the transmission holds itself together from now on. It may have blown a transmission but hey its still better than any Ford...

- , Eden, NY, USA