3.6

2008 Volkswagen Jetta engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Volkswagen Jetta:

2008 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Nov 212013

Jetta 4-cyl

Fuel cut-off/surging when accelerating and tapping noise from engine. Engine is throwing engine codes; a loss of power is present when accelerating. This occurs every time I try to accelerate. This is a known issue with the cam follower and high pressure fuel pump on all 2.0T fsi motors from VW. My cam follower has a hole in it (have the part) and the high pressure fuel pump is worn down (have the part) because it has made contact with the cam lobe, which has been scarred (have the part). Replacement requires a new cam, high pressure fuel pump, and cam follower. The design however will require constant inspection of the cam follower to avoid major engine failure. All 2.0 T fsi engines will experience this problem. Volkswagen has a tsb #2015153 dated December 16, 2009 that warns of this problem upon cel light being shown. But by then the damage was done, upon further inspection it had a hole in the cam follower, with severe damage to the cam and high pressure fuel pump. Repair cost was over $2,000. After researching this I found out this is a common problem with this particular motor. So much so that voa extended the warranty to ten years and 100,000 miles just for this exact problem. Unfortunately they used VIN numbers and my VIN numbers is after the cutoff point even though it's the exact same motor with the exact same problem as the earlier VIN numbered cars. They need to cover the affected motor numbers not the VIN numbers.

- Alford, FL, USA

Dec 312008

Jetta

I am submitting a complaint regarding my 2008 Volkswagen Jetta, wolfsburg edition.we purchased this car 8-08 from a VW dealer, it was brand new. Within several months of owning the car, when attempting to accelerate when in drive, the car would lunge forward. The condition kept getting worse and began also lunging forward when idling. I took it to the service dept. Of the VW dealership where I purchased the car. They said it had to do with the computer memory in my car and it was memorizing how I drive and if I switched over to another driver it would be confused and lunge. This is written on my receipt for the work: "advise customer to only drive the vehicle. It is acting as if two people are driving and the adaptive learning is confused. No codes stored." My car is confused, therefore there can only be one driver"??" sounded silly to me, but I needed my car and I accepted that explanation and left. The condition only worsened. The lunge or surging forward became so noticeable that it was embarrassing. My husband said he also noticed it lunging or surging in the reverse gear as well as forward and idle. I returned it to the service department at the VW dealership July 13, 2009. They have determined that it is a faulty mechatronics unit. They cannot even get the part until the first week in August. They told me that problems with the mechatronics unit are rare. However, I did my own research and found that there are many people who have VW Jettas with the same problem. And, this part is a bit weird...many of them had to wait weeks for the part. One person reported that the "surging forward" was so bad that he hit another car. I am reporting this because this condition could be potentially dangerous.it is extremely frustrating to own a new car that has something so major wrong with it. And it was very upsetting to find so many others (online forums) with the same problems. Thank you for your help and consideration of this situation.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Aug 172008

Jetta

Excessive drive by wire throttle delay. Throttle response delayed aprox. 1-2 or more seconds after depressing throttle pedal. Throttle delay causing hazardous driving situations when pulling out into traffic etc. This "delay" is programmed into the car's software by design. Unsafe, caused near miss accident.

- Sanford, FL, USA