2009 Volkswagen Jetta brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta:

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 232016

Jetta

Car's ABS and brake system has been failing once a while causing car to lose control of stability. Random "engine workshop failure" many times while starting up the car and car performance gets very limited.

- Plainview, NY, USA

Jun 012016

Jetta

ABS, traction control, and brake light warnings all flashing. ABS control module faulty and needed to be replaced

- Raeford, NC, USA

Dec 012016

Jetta

Multiple warning lights on dashboard, ABS, traction control and brake lights along with 3 audible beeps. ABS system no longer functioning along with traction control. Mechanic has indicated there is a known defect with the ABS module in this model year and just within the last week VW has issued a partial recall but has not expanded to include all vehicles. Repair costs are over $2000.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Jan 082017

Jetta

While driving the vehicle all of a sudden starts to beep and the ABS light, epc light, check engine light, brake light, and skid control light show. The vehicle sometimes loses the speedometer reading which drops to 0. this sporadically happens, sometimes it'll stay for days and other times it'll go away after 10 minutes and not appear again for a day or two. It seems to be happening more and more frequently. It happens when in motion and when starting the vehicle. This makes it very difficult to drive since the speedometer malfunctions and in the snow the vehicle seems to handle worse than usual and the brake system does not kick in every time. The ABS module seems to be malfunctioning.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Nov 022016

Jetta

My wife was driving her 2009 VW Jetta and the ABS, traction control and brake light comes on the dashboard the other day with a beeping sound also. First let me say this car just turned 65,000 miles. I have owned many vehicles in my lifetime and this is unacceptable for a major safety device to fail as this did so early in the life of this car. I have read many other complaints that the ABS control module fails and consumers have lost steering. This part is $1550 and another $375 to install, total of $1925. You can only buy this part new at the VW dealer ( just called). I can't believe this has not been recalled by now. Please someone look into this problem. I don't want my wife driving this car, it is not safe with no ABS working and possible loss of steering. Also don't know if this is connected to the ABS problem but the rear brakes are used up way to soon. Brake dust all over the rear wheels. I'm a car guy and work on cars, this is not right.. thank you..

- Brandon, FL, USA

Aug 202016

Jetta

The failure that occurred was while the vehicle was in motion, on a city street, almost all the indicator lights turned on (brake, ABS, check engine, and stability control) and the fuel and speedometer gauges went out. After pulling over and restarting the car, it seem to operate ok, but then everything lit up again. I pulled over on a side street to test the brakes and it seemed to brake "normal" without engaging the ABS. It seem like the car operates without ABS, stability control, the speedometer, and fuel gauge.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Nov 052016

Jetta

While driving the vehicle, I had to stop quickly due to possible impact with a car which ran a red light. My ABS kicked in to prevent wheel lock up and suddenly esp/ABS lights came on along with 3 loud beeps and my wheels locked up. ABS/esp lights stayed on and my traction control, stability control and ABS did not function anymore. Conventional braking was still working normal and car was drive-able. Upon performing a ABS/esp scan for faults, it indicated a internal failure of the ABS control module. Turning the car on and off resets the lights and ABS function is restored, but if you attempt to do another panic stop- all the lights come on and anti-lock brakes do not function- brakes lock up.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Jul 012014

Jetta

Driving down the highway I had to slam on my brakes, expecting the ABS to kick on I kept my foot down until I realized all my tires had locked up and I started to slide sideways. In heavy traffic I began pumping my brakes. Ever since, my ABS system will work for a brief second before shutting off. This is a known issue for many 2009 mark V VW vehicles including the Jetta. I was told by VW that it would bea $1600 replacment ABS module. This should be recalled as a safety hazard by vwoa.

- Doylestown, PA, USA

Nov 072016

Jetta

During normal driving of the vehicle, it had many dash lights turn on simultaneously, including ABS, traction control, brake (even though emergency brake was not engaged), epc, and power steering. The gas gauge dropped to zero intermittently and the speedometer dropped to 0 while the car was being driven at around 25mph. On the short drive home, the car went into limp mode and lost power steering. The issue has been diagnosed as the ABS module needing replaced for over $2000. The car has approximately 85K miles on it, and this part should last the lifetime of the car. Thankfully, there was no accident involved like some of the other complaints. If this happened on the freeway it could have caused a serious accident. Beyond the complaints with the NHTSA, there are countless other drivers on VW forums of Jetta and other models from 2009 with the same issue.

- Exton, PA, USA

Sep 202016

Jetta

ABS module failure. Result in loss of power steering, antilock braking system functionality, and traction control at the same time

- Naples, FL, USA

Jun 132016

Jetta

Here's another ABS module failure thanks to VW's horrible design. The failure is causing the entire dash cluster to go haywire. Car beeps all the time because it thinks the emergency brake is on. Speedometer doesn't work! fuel gauge jumps up when engaging brakes. ABS, traction, epc, cel lights constantly on, and sometimes it goes into limp mode making it dangerous to drive on the highway. VW charges $2,000 for the part excl labor which is 20% of the price of the car new. This should not happen with a seven year old car at only 100K miles

- Spring Valley, CA, USA

May 022016

Jetta

Randomly, most of the vehicle warning lights, check engine or malfunction indicator light, brake system, ABS, traction control or esp, airbag fault, appear while I am using a brake for red light and driving on any kinds of roads. Then I feel the wheel as heavier than usual, the past (cannot turn smoothly like before). I just purchased the used vehicle on December 16, 2015. The cardealer, autonation, sold the car by advertising that's well maintenanced and all checked. However, within6 months after the purchase, those vehicle warning lights came up on the display. Autonation suggested me to go to wollswagen dealer. The mechanic at the local Volkswagen dealer gave me an estimates for the repair around 2,000 usd saying that ABS system is not working and needs to be replaced by a new one. I asked a help to autonation, but the dealer said that's why Volkswagen car is known as a risky choise. The dealer appolozied me saying that he cannot help me. Is there any way to return the car to autonation or to get my car repaired by autonation?

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Nov 142015

Jetta

During normal driving ABS, brake, and ESC lights turned on to inform me there's problem with the braking system. My vehicle at the time only had around 55,000 miles. I believe the ABS module prematurely malfunctioned. VW dealer confirmed a faulty ABS module and it will cost $2,200 to fix it. When searching for related issues on the internet, if found numerous similar complaints regarding the ABS failure. I can only assume that there are more drivers who have experienced the problem like me, but has not filed a complaint yet. I didn't even consider filing a complaint until I finally got it confirmed that it was the ABS module failure. I believe VW should replace the ABS module at no cost to owner.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Nov 252015

Jetta

Here's a video I made that shows the effects: youtu.be/ubg3nmsa75M I'll just be driving along and suddenly the car will start beeping and the power steering will quit working and every warning light on the dashboard will come on at the same time and the speedometer will drop to zero no matter what speed I'm driving and sometimes the car will pop out of gear while I'm driving 70 miles an hour on the freeway. It started out intermittently in 2014 and the dealership couldn't diagnose the problem. But then it started happening more and more frequently and the issue could be identified in late 2015. So now 2 different VW dealerships have told me that the issue is a faulty ABS module. It's crazy that an ABS module can shut down so many different systems while the car is in motion. If you look around online you'll find it affects several different VW models, at least the Jetta and the golf, maybe others. My wife and I don't drive the car anymore because we don't want to get in a wreck when the car just pops out of gear for no reason. But I bet other people have been hurt by these faulty ABS modules and all the dangerous effects they have on the car.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Sep 192015

Jetta

ABS warning light solid yellow, break light flashing red and beeping, esp/asr light solid yellow (inactive.) VW dealership replaced ABS module and pump total bill $ 3109.44

- Panama City, FL, USA

Jun 242015

Jetta

I was driving down the street when a loud beeping and the red ABS failure + every light on dashboard lit up. Every gauge stopped working (the gas gauge, speedometer, etc) I was close to home and carefully proceeded to the house. After a half mile the car stalled and the engine died. Because I was prepared for an event, I immediately set hazards and rolled to the side of the road. I restarted the car and made it the rest of the way home (2 blocks) without it stalling again. I have not driven the car since, I took it the VW dealer and it was determined the ABS module failed / broke and caused the problems. This is obviously a manufacturing the defect which can cause an immediate harmful affect. If I was on a highway or being careful far beyond any normal sense I could have easily been in a life threatening accident.

- Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

Apr 092015

Jetta

Upon driving through a highway interchange at a lower rate of speed the electronic stability control disconnected with an amber solid light on the instrument cluster indicating so, the anti-lock braking system also disengaged indicated as well with an amber solid light on the instrument cluster, and the brake light was flashing red on the instrument cluster. Upon turning off the car and turning it back on it resets, however the issue is becoming more common as time goes on.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 092015

Jetta

Anti-lock brake and stability control failure during braking event. During braking event on slippery surface: 1.) ABS engaged as normal at start of braking event. 2.) ABS stopped working and wheels locked up resulting in vehicle rotation. 3.) stability control and brake warning lights came on accompanied by a beep. 4.) after braking event warning lights remained on and ABS/stability were non-functional. 5.) after car restart warning lights were gone and ABS/stability control worked. Under gentle braking on slippery surface ABS works. Able to consistently recreate issue with hard braking or hard acceleration on slippery surface. There is no indication of an issue prior to failure. Car was checked by VW dealership prior to failure and no error codes were returned pertaining to ABS/stability control.

- Cambridge , MA, USA

Jan 252015

Jetta

The contact owned a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving at approximately 45 mph and applying the brake pedal, the ABS, the stability, and the brake warning lights illuminated. In addition, there was a loud abnormal noise and the vehicle spun out of control. The vehicle flipped three times and crashed into a bush. The air bags did not deploy. There were no injuries. The contact did not disclose if a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the rear passenger axle was fractured. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Bellflower, CA, USA

Jan 032015

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

My VW Jetta tdi had many problems since I purchased it. First, we had problems with the injection system imploding. They asked if we ever put in gasoline instead of diesel. I told them absolutely not. They wanted to charge me $6500 because car was out of warranty but service manager got VW to pay for it because I said I was going to get an attorney. On June 27, 2014 we had with an electrical problem where the battery was draining from a short in the radio modulator. The car had 101,348 miles. They fixed the problem which took 9 days to fix and cost $1238.56. I noticed the radio would stayed on with the key out of the car after that though. Then we had the check engine, air bag, ABS and traction lights on at 109,452. I took it to my service station on 11/28/2014, but he said the dealer had to program update the software and check the ABS module for electrical problem. The dealer said it was the O2 sensor on number 2 cylinder. They found no problems with the air bag, ABS module or traction control. They charged me $600. The lights were all off. On January 3, my 17 year old daughter and her girlfriend went to the movies last night with the car. It was lightly raining out. She left the movie theatre around 8:20 pm. She came up to an intersection that was turning red. She applied the brakes and skidded through the intersection hitting another vehicle that was crossing. She was doing about 40 mph. She said the car did not want to stop. She said there where lights on the dashboard when she was driving. People in the other car went to hospital.

- Forked River, NJ, USA