2009 Volkswagen Jetta drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta:

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 162013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

In the afternoon of 10/16/2013 while traveling back to my residence I stopped on the road, where I had been traveling, before turning left into a subdivision. The vehicle behind me was also following me into the subdivision. When it was clear to turn left I put my car into first gear and proceeded across the lane and into the subdivision. As I went up the incline the car came out of gear causing the vehicle behind me to come very close to mine as it slowed down without any brake lights. I engaged the clutch and put the car into second gear and proceeded up the hill. At the top of the hill I turned right and accelerated. I tried to change to third gear and was unable to go into gear. I tried again and found it wasn't possible to change gears. I coasted to the location I needed to go and parked the car. Found I wasn't able to change into any gear while the engine was on and the clutch was engaged. I could only change gears by engaging the clutch and putting the car into the first or reverse gear while the engine was off. Accordingly I could drive out of the driveway in reverse. Stop. Turn off the engine. Change into first gear and start the engine to go forward in first gear. I could never change out of first gear. Had to have the car towed to the dealership and was told the clutch had failed. There had been no warning of the clutch failing until it stopped working almost causing the vehicle behind me to run into the rear of the car. The car was driven by only one driver through-out its service life. Driver had 30 years of driving experience. The car was maintained as prescribed in the manual and had recently had its 50000 mile service. There was never any indication that the clutch was wearing out. This was completely unexpected and could have caused a major accident and put lives at risk if it had happened at highway speeds or in another situation with more traffic.

- Great Falls, VA, USA

Feb 122014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Car went into a false neutral while backing up in parking lot, dealer refused to extend warranty VW tdi 2009 sports wagon.

- Newtown Square, PA, USA

Jan 292014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

After backing up out of a drive way it would not shift out of first gear.after pulling over to side of the road I tried to shift it into reverse and nothing happened then tried to manually shift it into forward gears and the same thing only first gear would engage.the lights on the dash for which gear you are in was flashing and until it was shut of then restarted it started working again.I took it to the dealer and they said that it wasn't part of the drive train so I would have to fork over 2500 dollars to replace the computer that was in the transmission, the mechatronic that controls the valve body and clutches.they said they found an issue with it but didn't say what it was.I contacted VW and they said they would look into it, after two days they called and said that there weren't any warranty issues for the extended warranty that I had if its in the transmission wouldn't you think that it is a part of the drive train.the transmission wouldn't run with out it.I researched the problem on line and found that there are allot of problems with this transmission due to the mechatronic unit and it is a safety recall due to accidents created by it.I cannot trust this car now and will be trading it in for a Toyota.I have 500,000 miles on a echco that still runs like it was new and have never had to take it in for any problems.I would like to have this car fixed before getting rid of it because I would feel guilty if someone got hurt from the problem that is in the transmission.

- Ashfork, AZ, USA

Aug 272008

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that the vehicle would stall whenever driving uphill. The contact was able to restart the vehicle after the failure. The vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Madison, FL, USA

Nov 272013

Was on the highway and the engine started to stall. Glow plug light flashing and engine light on. Display reads something about engine fault workshop. I turned car on and no problem or lights or errors were displayed. Started driving and car had very minimal power and would shift high RPM. Towed car to VW dealership and they said my high pressure fuel pump had deteriorated and sent metal shavings through my fuel pump system. $6K to fix! a faulty part and VW says it's my responsibility to fix. I wish VW would hold to their cars.

- Draper, UT, USA

Nov 082013

Jetta 5-cyl

Vehicle's dashboard gears "prnd" are all highlighted. This occurs randomly and is a daily occurrence. Does not affect driveability thus far.

- Lockhart, TX, USA

Oct 182013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

When coming to stop at a red light, there was an engine fault workshop warning message and a blinking yellow glow plug warning light. When the light turned green, the car felt sluggish, needing extra throttle than usual to get to 35mph. After stopping at the next red light, the car was stuck in first gear (only 30 seconds after the warning light), and I could only get to 10mph in a 35mph zone. Turning on my hazard blinkers, I was lucky that there was a dedicated left turn lane into a parking lot, otherwise I would not have been able to safely pull over to the right shoulder from the left lane before the engine died.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Oct 202013

All gears on the control panel where flashing. Dsg gave a false-neutral. Thankfully, the car is parked in the garage but still will not engage into reverse or drive. Last tested (10/22/13). I have contacted Volkswagen customer care and local dealership, both mentioned that there may be an issue with a G509 (??).

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 182013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I was stuck on a busy intersection because my car wouldn't lock onto the gear. All gears on the control panel where flashing. Upon later research, I was told that the dsg gave a false-neutral.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 212012

Vehicle down shifts hard when coming to a stop and seems to have delayed shifts when accelerator is pressed. Very unsafe due jerking motion when trying to stop or start.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Jan 072013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The same thing has occurred approximately 10-15 times now. While driving, it is as if the car goes into neutral, and applying gas does nothing. It is extremely dangerous because there is no warning that it is about to happen, and if it were to occur while pulling out in traffic, we would be stuck in place with no way to accelerate and get out of the way of traffic. The car was taken to the dealership and they could find nothing wrong and our money for the diagnostic was spent and solved nothing. It has been inconsistent, sometimes not happening for weeks at a time, but in the last 5 days it has happened approximately 5 times. It is an extremely dangerous problem and should be taken care of asap!

- Felton, CA, USA

Jun 042011

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I was on the exit ramp of the interstate and the go to workshop warning came on along with the glow plug warning light. Vehicle lost power, I was able to get to a side street and turned off vehicle, it restarted and seemed fine drove about 2 miles and stopped for a light, car stalled and warning lights came back on. Car did not restart had push to side of road and tow home. Towed to dealer first of week. Found to be high pressure fuel pump failure of the diesel engine. This is the second one to go bad first one at 135380 miles and now at 228605 miles only 93225 miles on repair job. VW repaired the first one, replaced entire fuel system at no charge, do to faulty hpfp. Even though this pump has less miles they will not help with repair cost. Both times car died at a major intersection and had to be pushed to side of road.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Oct 222012

This is my second complaint on this website for the same problem with my 2009 Jetta sportwagen with dsg transmission. My mechatronic unit was replaced in July 2012, but it wasn't 2 weeks before the car started back to it's old tricks again. This time the hesitating from a stop, jerking, rolling back and forth when you park, and rolling backward on an incline when shifting into drive from reverse was even worse than before the mechatronic unit replaced. This morning, while backing out of the garage (which is on a slope) when I shifted into drive and lifted off the brake the car quickly rolled back 2 to 3 feet before I could stop the car while narrowly missing our truck's bumper. We went straight to VW and as before their is no code and the fluid is at appropriate levels. There is nothing they can do... VW customer care was contacted with another case number. It appears that VW is not standing behind their warranty, so I guess we'll have to escalate to the next level.

- Centerville, GA, USA

Feb 022012

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta tdi. The contact stated that while driving 4 mph the transmission shifted into neutral independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the transmission valve and the dsg temperature sensor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was no longer under warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 110,000 and the current mileage was 124,000.

- Mills River, NC, USA

Aug 062012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Felt a shudder in the drive train; a few seconds later the glow plug light began to flash; the multi-function computer flashed that there was an engine fault and to service the engine; the engine shutdown and I pulled over to the side of the road; engine would not restart; dealer analysis revealed the high pressure fuel pump failed apparently sending shards of metal particles downstream of the pump; pump and other hardware downstream of the pump are scheduled for replacement

- Champaign, IL, USA

May 292012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

2009 tdi Jetta high pressure fuel pump. Three pumps have been put in and it keeps failing on the highway twice and was extremely dangerous and I am over warranty and it seems to be a faulty design. Don't know what steps to take here they have had my car for almost 90 days. The consumer also stated two transmission fans have been installed in the vehicle. He was then told a new turbo was needed at a cost of $3000. Updated IVOQ 12/10/12

- Mohegan Lake, NY, USA

Jul 072012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Vehicle is a 2009 Jetta sedan - tdi (diesel) vehicle shut down while driving. Flow plug light flashed on dash along with display of "engine fault workshop" vehicle would not restart. Pulled code of P0087 fuel rail/system pressure low. Towed to dealer, boucher VW in franklin, wi. Dealer confirmed fault was a high-pressure fuel pump failure.

- Wind Lake, WI, USA

Aug 012009

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

My Jetta sportwagen tdi with dsg transmission was purchased new in May 2009. Within 3 months of purchase, we noticed the car would jerk and slam into gear. Every time we had the car in for service we complained of the "jerk" or "slam". then, in Dec 2009 we received a warranty extension for the dsg tranny from 60,000 miles to 100,000. This obviously showed there were known problems. At all of it's scheduled maintenance appointments, I would mention the jerkiness. The dealership said there was no problems since they never felt it shift funny when they drove it. It wasn't even until 43,000 did anyone ride in the car with me to see! not once did they hook the car to a computer to run for codes or faults. I did not have a check engine fault code either. We had the tranny serviced per the VW manual at a little over 40,000 miles and that did not help the car. Now, the car tends to downshift while completely stopped, still slams/jerks into gear, rocks back and forth when you put it in park and rolls backwards several feet when you put the car in drive from reverse (in our sloped driveway.) this never happened in the past, but now you have to "power" brake the car to ensure you don't roll back and hit the others in our driveway. Since I was getting no where, I finally called an opened a case with VW customer care. This time when I took the car in for service I mentioned the problem again and referenced my case number. They checked my car out today and said they ordered a new mechatronic unit. The service bulletins showed the exact symptoms that my car was doing, but we never got any help. It wasn't until I opened a case with VW that something was done. We'll see if this new part fixes our problem or not. I love my Jetta, just not the crappy transmission!

- Centerville, GA, USA

Jul 072011

Jetta 4-cyl

First incident in July 2011 but same ongoing issue and at the dealership at least 8 times in 11 months. Currently at the dealership again for almost 3 weeks now. Its always the same "symptoms" but always told its another problem..... as follows: -sputters and jerks -exhaust or gas fumes overcome the car -engine revs but the car wont move, then jolts forward. -stalls when trying to start, it jerks violently making a putting noise as if it can't get fuel then dies. -there's a beeping noise coming from something in the engine when it stalls that no one seems to know what it is. I have replaced: -intake manifold -all fuel sensors -low pressure fuel pump -high pressure fuel pump -melted fuses with unknown cause -two batteries -other smaller items related to fuel system.

- La Quinta, CA, USA

May 292012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

For the second time my fuel pump went out. Also for the second time I was accused of using bio diesel or regular fuel by the dealer. I was driving a long it sounded like a gear was tumbling around then a grinding noise followed. Luckily I was a low rate of speed and was able to pull off to a side street with out problem. Last week the gear box went out as well. It had issues on going in to reverse from drive. Often I would have to put the car in to park turn it off then restart to get it to go in to reverse.

- Honolulu, HI, USA