1.8

2009 Volkswagen Jetta fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta:

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Aug 232015

Jetta

Stopped and left the line at a green light when our 2009 Jetta tdi sputtered and stopped in the middle of a busy intersection. Was able to get the vehicle towed to a local VW dealership and given an invoice for $5500 for the high pressure pump, which is identified a known issue by VW under a self-imposed extended warranty but never under a recall. As I was told by VW customer service, since there was never a catastrophic issue to our vehicle prior to 120K miles, instead at 124K miles, the safety items were not identified and corrected.

- Orcutt, CA, USA

Aug 142015

Jetta

Driving down the road at 35 mph the car suddenly dies, leaving me no power to escape a possible accident, brakes are hard to use, stuck in a traffic lane with cars coming up on me at 35 to 45 mph, turns out the hpfp exploded sending metal thru out the fuel system causing the engine to starve for fuel and stall out, with no fuel getting to the engine the motor wont restart causing a life threatening situation

- Reseda, CA, USA

Aug 012015

Jetta

Had been driving for well over 100 miles on the interstate and was exiting from one interstate onto another in moderate traffic in louisville, Kentucky. During lane change, flashing "glow plug" indicator light came on and "engine fault! workshop!" came on. Car immediately decelerated, causing hard breaking from following traffic and near collision. Able to drive at 40 mph for approximately one mile to another exit. Stopped at traffic light at the bottom of that exit and car stalled in the middle of the road and would not restart. Towed to nearest dealership. Two days later, learned from VW dealer that it was the "hpfp". again. A similar incident happened with this car in the fall of 2011 -- around the same time VW issued their recall of the faulty pump. I was told that the hpfp was replaced at that time. This was only 4 years ago and precisely the same issue. I have had the diesel fuel pump modification (another recall), the car is under the 120K on their "extended warranty" and I only use very-low sulfur diesel gasoline at major national chains when traveling cross-country like this.

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Jul 192015

Jetta

Was driving when the engine fault workshop warning came on. The glow plug warning light also appeared. Car wouldn't go past a lower RPM but was able to make it to a parking lot. After grocery shopping, turned the engine on again and started to drive. Both warning lights came on again and then the engine stalled. Was able to start it again and parked it in a parking spot. Waited about 5 minutes and started it again and was able to drive it around the parking lot. Engine light was on but car was running ok. Pulled out onto the street and went about a 1/4 of a mile and the warning lights came on again and stalled. Was able to start it again and make a U-turn and then the lights and stalled happened again. Parked along the curb and called a tow truck. This apparently is a common issue with the fuel pump on VW tdi's. car is currently at a VW dealership waiting on the results for a gas test to see what type of fuel I had in the tank. My call has the gasoline nozzle blocker installed per the recall a few years ago. There is not any gasoline in the tank.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 212015

Jetta

Was driving and there was a loss of power, as if the turbo had stopped working, it eventually stalled out.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Jun 232015

Jetta 4-cyl

Started the car and after about 5 minutes of driving, the engine shuts off but all electrical systems appear to be working. No trouble/ indicator lights come on. This has happened on the interstate traveling 70, on a side street traveling 35, and sitting idle at a stop light. Every time, the car will run for between 5-7 minutes than not restart for 5-7 minutes. At attempts to restart inside that 5 minute window after the engine stalls, there is no turning over, no clicking or anything. There is no temp issues, or low fuel issues. This has happened on a full tank and a half tank also.

- Oconomowoc, WI, USA

May 232015

Jetta

For the 2nd (!) time in 2 years, the high pressure fuel pump failed on the car. As my husband was driving the mountain highway, he lost all horsepower and the dash lights all lit up with various warning signals and a system failure warning. Fuel pump has exploded and introduced metal shavings throughout the entire fuel system.

- Running Springs, CA, USA

May 122015

Jetta

Gas smell inside car, fuel spraying/leaking out of metal fuel line from fuel pump to fuel rail.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

Mar 302015

Jetta 4-cyl

Vehicle engine shut off during travel, due to fuel filter being clogged by metal debris. The high pressure injection pump failed effectively ending the life of the engine. The welds on the high pressure injection pump had deteriorated, resulting metal debris to circulate through complete injection system. After multiple failed attempts to flush out the injection system it was decided that the best course of action was to replace the entire fuel system along with the fuel injector pump. The dealership would not cover the repair that was estimated to be around $5,500. Very unsatisfied.

- Kyle, TX, USA

Mar 062015

Jetta 4-cyl

2009 Volkswagen - Jetta tdi - 2L, in-line4 (120cl) diesel * a previous claim was submitted lacking information, please disregard. Vehicle engine shut off during travel, due to fuel filter being clogged by metal debris. The high pressure injection pump failed effectively ending the life of the engine. The welds on the high pressure injection pump had deteriorated, resulting metal debris to circulate through complete injection system. After multiple failed attempts to flush out the injection system it was decided that the best course of action was to replace the engine if a replacement could be found. A replacement was found and the current engine installed has the same high pressure injection pump, as a replacement part is not available to independent shops, only to dealerships. Cost of replacing engine - $8,500.

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Mar 062015

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Mar 182015

Jetta

We were driving on down the road and the cars lights started blinking and then car stop running and stopped dead in the road. Could not get it started again. If it had been on the freeway I am sure I would not be typing this we would be in hospital or worse. We had to get out and the steering was not working to get it to side of road. I am elderly and do not have alot of strength. We had to pay extra to aaa to tow it since we were far away from dealer. The dealer called and said there was metal shavings in fuel line and components. I researched online and have seen several of the same things happening to other cars. This is a real safety issue. Please help fix before someone dies car stall problem 2 failure date: 10/25/2012 while driving the dash warning lights illuminated and the car stalled causing complete loss of all power steering almost causing me to lose control and wreck. I was able to steer car to side of road and stop. Once stopped was able to get car to restart but was barely able to drive home (periodically died and had to restart, wouldn't stay running or idle). Had car towed to repair shop. They have diagnosed problem as low rail fuel pressure caused by failed high pressure fuel pump. This failure caused metal shavings to be dispersed throughout entire fuel system. I'm told that the hp fuel pump, low and high pressure fuel regulators, and tank fuel pump all must be replaced along with a complete removal and cleaning of all fuel system components. Estimated cost to repair is between $7,000 and $10,000. This car is a diesel tdi.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Feb 072015

Jetta

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle failed to restart after several attempts. The vehicle was towed to the residence where the contact replaced the fuel filter. The contact informed that the high pressure fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Palestine, TX, USA

Jun 182014

Jetta 4-cyl

We bought our 2009 Jetta tdi used at a Kia dealership on 5/4/14 with 99K on the odometer. The car was running fine and we had no issues during test drive or the month after until 6/18/14 when the glow plug light came on. We took it back to the dealership we bought it at because it had a 12/12000 warranty on it and they couldn't find a problem. They replaced the battery. It happened again and we took it in to them, this time they sent it back to the VW dealership they had obtained it from to have it checked out. It was there for 4 days while mechanics tried to find the problem and then they brought in an expert to tell them that the high volume fuel pump was failing and it would cost $1,500 to replace. It was not covered under the 12/12000 dealer warranty. We chose not to have the work performed there and I am taking it to another mechanic to have it done. We have driven it for the past couple of months with only minor issues with the glow plug light coming on and we have learned to pull over, shut the car off and turn it on again. This will go for a few weeks before happening and then we have to do the same thing all over again. It is now failing more often and I will be taking it in to repair. The problem here is that the hvfp is a well documented failure on the tdi models and I believe based on the cost I have been seeing on forums that this should be a recall. When the failure happens it is not always in a safe place and I have to make some unsafe moves to get off the road to shut down. I have been lucky that it didn't hard fail as others have and take out my fuel system. We also located the original owner and she had the same issues, this is where we learned to just shut the car off and restart it and all would be fine.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Nov 182014

Jetta

For the past year or so my 2009 Jetta tdi (diesel) has had the same recurring problem: My glow plug light will come on and I lose normal driving capabilities. I cannot accelerate or maintain speed as I normally do. My car will remain around 25 mph, sometimes losing power until I am forced to pull over. My solution has been to turn the car off, and back on again. The light will go off and I can drive normally most of the time. Sometimes I have to leave the car off for a period of time to regain standard driving capabilities. It has been about 2 weeks since that has happened. 2 days ago, my engine light came on. I took it to the dealer and they pulled codes P0087 and P0088 (fuel pressure too high and fuel pressure too low at the same time). They want me to replace the fuel rail, which will be an estimated $1000 in total parts/labor. I called another dealer in hopes of getting a better price and they are put off by the first dealer's recommendations. I was told there is no evidence of metal in my fuel system but even so, other dealer thinks this will be more serious than just replacing the rail. After researching I am beginning to think that I am experiencing the beginning of hpfp failure. I feel like I am driving a ticking time bomb and I'm not sure what to do! replacing the fuel rail feels like a quick, expensive and inefficient solution to a bigger problem. I contacted Volkswagen customer care and I was told that I will receive a call from a regional agent about my situation tomorrow.

- Washington, DC, USA

Oct 302014

Jetta 4-cyl

High-pressure diesel fuel pump (hpfp) began to fail. Heard high-pitched whine coming from hpfp after engine had been taken at least once past 2100 rpms after startup. VW dealership service department confirmed hpfp imminent failure and replaced it under warranty.

- Takoma Park, MD, USA

Aug 012013

Jetta

This issue has been happening in my Jetta tdi for over a year, and so far my mechanic has been unable to figure out the cause. I hear a ding and the glow plug light begins flashing, and on the small screen I see "engine fault - workshop" once. The car sometimes seems to lose power or go into "limp mode" but sometimes there is no affect on how it drives. When I pull over and turn off the car, then turn it back on, the error is gone and the car drives fine. This has happened more & more frequently, almost always when I'm driving on the highway. It now happens at least every other week or so. After doing some research I see that this is a pretty common problem for Jetta tdis, and it seems that VW needs to do something about it! the last time I had my car in the shop for it, another check engine light had come on, and that was fixed, but this issue was not because my mechanic couldn't replicate the problem. Now that I've done more research I am calling my mechanic in the morning.

- Fort Bragg, CA, USA

Jul 162014

Jetta 4-cyl

While driving my 2009 Jetta sportwagon tdi on a 3-lane arterial, the engine began to sputter and at the same time the glow plug dashboard light began flashing. Within 5 seconds the engine stalled completely and would not restart, leaving the car disabled in the middle of the lane. An independent repair shop discovered that the high pressure fuel pump (hpfp) had shattered and sent shards of metal downstream through the fuel system. Those shards in turn damaged the fuel lines and fuel injectors. The independent repair shop was unable to secure a replacement part for the hpfp from its usual sources and contacted the local Volkswagen dealer. The VW dealer would not sell the part to the independent shop but indicated that Volkswagen would repair the problem at no cost even though the car was no longer under factory warranty. When I spoke to the parts manager at the VW dealer, she indicated that hpfp failure was a known but uncommon problem and that she saw cars where this had happened "about 10 or 12 times a year." When I had the car towed to the dealership and spoke to the service manager, however, he said that my car was the 7th or 8th car on his repair floor at that time with a failed hpfp, and that he had been seeing "about 15 to 20 cars a month" with this problem. He said that some of them had probably failed due to misfueling, but that others failed for no apparent reason. He said it was probably due to a slightly different diesel formulation in the us vs. In europe. When I picked up the repaired car two weeks later, I asked the service manager if there was any evidence of misfueling in my car and he said "no." I asked how many hpfp failures he had seen since I dropped my car off and he said "you don't wanna know, probably a dozen." He also said he had recently become aware of hpfp failures happening even on vehicles with previous hpfp repairs.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jul 112014

Jetta 4-cyl

I tried starting my car and the engine would not turn over, as if it was not getting any fuel. After numerous attempts I had my car towed to commonwealth Volkswagen in santa ana, ca. They diagnosed the problem as a failed high pressure fuel pump which sent slivers of metal throughout the fuel system. The entire fuel system, (hoses pipes injection units fuel pumps, filters, etc.) was replaced. Volkswagen paid for the entire repairs. I was told by the Volkswagen service representative that they had seen this issue before and that it was not uncommon in 2009 & 2010 Jetta tdi and other tdi models. They asked if gasoline had ever been used and I indicated that I have only used diesel fuel and that Volkswagen had retrofitted the fuel nozzle receptacle to only accept diesel fuel nozzles. It concerns me that Volkswagen knows about this problem, that they repair the vehicle at their expense, no questions asked, and it has been reported hundreds of time by Volkswagen owners on a variety of internet websites, yet Volkswagen is not recalling the vehicles to proactively fix the problem. They fix the problem one at a time as it occurs. They wait until the system fails and the consumer is put in jeopardy of being in a major, life threatening accident or stranded in a remote area. This problem has also occurred with my 2010 Volkswagen Jetta tdi in August 2014, at night, 50 miles from the nearest Volkswagen service center. I reported this incident to NHTSA as well. Volkswagen needs to take ownership of this problem by recalling all the tdi vehicles before people are killed on the highways.

- Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

Aug 032014

Jetta

My husband and I were driving, and we heard a very faint, high pitch screeching sound, like a pulley system was going out. We drove another 500 feet, and then the engine stalled. Then the blinking glow plug light came on. Thankfully we were not going very fast, and the road was not busy. We were able to coast to the side of the road. We tried to start the car again, but it wouldn't turn over. We had to get the car towed to a shop. There are small pieces of metal found in the fuel filter, which indicated the high pressure fuel pump failure.

- Escondido, CA, USA