2009 Volkswagen Jetta fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta:

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Dec 122012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

This is the second complaint filed on this car. The ref # for the first NHTSA complaint is voq 10484807. On Nov 26, 2012 (date taken from dealer repair invoice) I picked the car up at the dealership after the initial failure repairs. I reset the trip meter (I don't remember the exact mileage the vehicle had when I picked it up). Later that same day (26 Nov 12) I took the car back to the dealership and told them the engine was making a weird sound. The mechanic agreed that the engine was making a weird sound and said he thought it was the new secondary fuel pump making the noise. The dealership agreed to order a new secondary pump for the car and they told to continue driving the car until the new pump arrived. On or about 12 Dec 2012, the car suffered another rapid deceleration failure identical to the one that occurred on 26 Sep 2012 with the exception that the engine did not completely quit. I was able to limp the car home (top speed was approximately 20 mph) using side streets and staying off the freeway. The trip meter had 349 miles on it when I got home. I called the dealership and had the car towed to them. They replaced the fuel tank pumps (apparently there are two pumps in the fuel tank). While they were test driving the vehicle, to return it to me, they experienced a rapid deceleration (from their description it appeared as the same failure I had just experienced). The dealership called me and told me they were at a loss to explain the failure and they would have to call the VW tech line for help. VW told them they thought the problem was the hpfp. In total, all three fuel pumps were once again replaced. To VW and hoy-fox credit these repairs were done at no cost to me (except for the tow bill). The car is now on its third hpfp in less than four months. Bottom line, in my opinion, the VW tdi hpfp is a safety hazard and should be recalled.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jan 042013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Jetta wagon tdi clean diesel vehicle was being driven about 35 mph on busy road with full tank of fuel. Vehicle started stumbling and losing power. Within 30 seconds of stumbling vehicle then stalled. Initially was able to be restarted but was stumbling severely and was only able to creep a few feet before stalling. Vehicle was unable to be restarted and had to be towed 23 miles to nearest dealership where the intercooler (charge cooler) was found to have iced up and contain ice and water. This seems to be known issue with the vehicle as VW has a tsb out on the issue. The dealership stated that they actually had another vehicle with the same issue come in the day after ours and last winter had many with this issue. This appears to be a known issue and is clearly a safety issue if it can cause the vehicle to suddenly and unpredictably loose power and stall. VW tsb # 21 11 06 / 2025464 references this issue.

- Newburyport, MA, USA

Dec 222012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

VW Volkswagen Jetta sportwagen tdi 2009. Was driving about 35 mph when engine loses most of its power. A glow plug indicator light turned on and I saw an engine fault/workshop error. I quickly turned onto a side street and stopped the engine. After a couple minutes I restarted the car but it still had low power. After about 10 seconds it stalled and could not be restarted. Had it towed to a VW dealership and 5 days later they ran diagnostics and said it was a failed fuel pump and that metal shards were throughout the fuel system and everything needed to be replaced.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Dec 162012

Car: 2009 Volkswagen tdi sportwagen on December 16th at approximately 1230pm, I entered interstate I-95 via exit 19 in southport, ct heading southbound. As I accelerated and merged into the lane from the onramp as I got up to speed (@60 mph) the "glow plug light" came on and then the engine light came on. The car immediately began losing power and I pulled over to the side of the very busy interstate. It was dangerous as I lost power and had to maneuver between passing cars in order to get to the shoulder to pull over. I turned off the engine and let the car rest for a minute or so. I turned the engine back on and the check engine light came on again. I attempted to accelerate and the car had very limited power so I immediately stopped the car again and turned off the engine. I got out of the car, opened the hood, and noticed what appeared to be gasoline coating the engine as well as trailing behind the car. I called aaa and had my car towed to the riverbank Volkswagen dealership in stamford, ct which was closed due to the fact that it was Sunday. The following day I spoke with the service manager and was informed that the car would not be looked at until Friday December Dec 21st when a "specialist" from VW would arrive to inspect the car. I have performed my own diligence and have found that similar issues with the 2009 Jetta tdi's have been fairly common and I expect (hope) VW will cover all repair and rental car costs for me in this matter.

- Southport, CT, USA

Nov 142012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I started my car and for the first time ever, it hesitated and failed to start. I restarted my car and it started. I proceeded to drive home and about a half mile into the drive it hesitated and lost much of its power. A flashing glow plug warning light came on and then a quick message on the display about an engine failure and bring to service. I was about a mile from my VW dealership and drove towards it. About a quarter of a mile later, the car (still hesitating - now I know it is called "limp mode") made a grinding noise from the passenger side of the engine bay, and the car lost all power and stopped in traffic. I had to have it towed to the dealership, where they diagnosed a high pressure fuel pump failure. The entire fuel system (fuel tank, 3 pumps, all fuel lines, common rail fuel delivery system, fuel filter holder, fuel filter, fuel injectors) were replaced under power train warranty. I am the only person to fill this car with diesel fuel and always do so at reputable stations. The fuel was tested and did not contain gasoline or any additives. This car was first purchased in North Carolina and is a us vehicle. I bought it from the original owner (at 6200 miles) and drove it to Canada. It is registered in Ontario. I have had all service done in buffalo NY at northtown VW while under warranty and this repair was also performed (as per VW of America restrictions) in buffalo NY. I had to pay the expense of having it towed from toronto to buffalo.

- Toronto, On, Canada, NY, USA

Oct 252012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

While driving the dash warning lights illuminated and the car stalled causing complete loss of all power steering almost causing me to lose control and wreck. I was able to steer car to side of road and stop. Once stopped was able to get car to restart but was barely able to drive home (periodically died and had to restart, wouldn't stay running or idle). Had car towed to repair shop. They have diagnosed problem as low rail fuel pressure caused by failed high pressure fuel pump. This failure caused metal shavings to be dispersed throughout entire fuel system. I'm told that the hp fuel pump, low and high pressure fuel regulators, and tank fuel pump all must be replaced along with a complete removal and cleaning of all fuel system components. Estimated cost to repair is between $7,000 and $10,000. This car is a diesel tdi.

- Texarkana, TX, USA

Nov 202012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I was driving on the interstate, at about 68 mph, when the engine completely shut down without any warning whatsoever. The car, having a manual transmission, was still in gear and slowed down very quickly without any warning to other drivers (no brake lights). I tried to push in the clutch and coast to the shoulder, and successfully made it off the highway. The car restarted, and I made it a few miles towards the dealer before it happened again, luckily on a low-traffic street. The car was towed the rest of the way towards the dealer and diagnosed as a failed high pressure fuel pump, causing catastrophic fuel system damage. The fuel rail, injectors, pump, tank, and all lines will need to be replaced as the result of the pump failure caused bits of metal flakes to circulate about the fuel system. The diagnosis and listed repairs were determined by the Volkswagen dealer.

- North Pekin, IL, USA

Sep 262012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

On September 26, 2012 while traveling in Arkansas, eastbound on interstate 30, at 75 miles per hour, my 2009 VW Jetta sports wagen tdi suffered a high pressure fuel pump failure. I was told by the little rock VW dealership that I had contaminated fuel. I filed an insurance claim. The insurance company had an independent lab do an analysis on the fuel. The insurance company denied my claim because the fuel was not contaminated. The insurance company informed me that the NHTSA has revived numerous complaints about high pressure fuel pump failures on Volkswagen tdi engines. I want to add my vehicle to that list with an independent lab analysis stating that the fuel was not contaminated. It is definitely a safety hazard when your vehicle stops on a congested highway. Additionally, with repair bills for this failure ranging from $6,000 to $10,000 the NHTSA should require VW to recall their vehicles with the tdi engines.

- El Paso , TX, USA

Nov 032012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I was on the exit ramp of the interstate and the go to workshop warning came on along with the glow plug warning light. Vehicle lost power, I was able to get to a side street and turned off vehicle, it restarted and seemed fine drove about 2 miles and stopped for a light, car stalled and warning lights came back on. Car did not restart had push to side of road and tow home. Towed to dealer first of week. Found to be high pressure fuel pump failure of the diesel engine. This is the second one to go bad first one at 135380 miles and now at 228605 miles only 93225 miles on repair job. VW repaired the first one, replaced entire fuel system at no charge, do to faulty hpfp. Even though this pump has less miles they will not help with repair cost. Both times car died at a major intersection and had to be pushed to side of road.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Nov 062012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

While starting to accelerate after a stop, my 2009 Jetta tdi shuddered and died with a "major engine failure" error and would not restart. The car was blocking traffic at a major intersection. Had to have the car pushed out of the traffic lane and then waited for a tow truck to tow it to the local dealer. After one day they said the had no idea what was wrong with it. On the second day the dealer called to say that they found the fuel pump had blown apart and there were metal shards throughout my entire fuel system and it would need to be completely replaced (approx $8-9000 in repairs). They also said that the warranty would not cover it unless I could prove that I only put diesel fuel in so had to provide receipts for my recent fuel purchases as well as fuel samples. Still waiting for the warranty company to decide whether or not they will cover the repair so I am without a vehicle while they haggle. Luckily I was almost stopped when it happened or it could have been a bigger safety issue (although I was in a car in a busy intersection causing a major traffic jam with many potential crashes all around me -- the honking horns and swerving cars attest to that -- as I sat waiting to be pushed out of the way).

- Fremont, CA, USA

Nov 032012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Tdi diesel engine. Entered highway, car stuttered, engine died, displayed workshop code problem, glowplug light flashing. Restarted one time, traveled to parking area, engine died and would not restart. Code was P0087, fuel pump pressure failure. No previous problems or hints of this issue. Sudden engine failure. Very dangerous, was driving uphill, the one restart allowed me to leave road. Dealer noted no fuel contamination. System was properly primed on fuel filter changes. Used a ross-tech cable and software. Repair is expected to be about $7000. Previous diesel 2001 model was still running with 332,000 miles when this one was purchased. website has noted many of these failures, search hpfp, high pressure fuel pump. VW is not furnishing pumps designed with the us diesel fuel quality in mind. VW needs to correct this problem, there have been a lot of these failures.

- Lebanon, VA, USA

Oct 122012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Car flashed engine malfunction, died soon after, will not start up again.

- Somonauk, IL, USA

Sep 072012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I had just left my VW dealership it have an unrelated issues looked at, I had a service that wed. I pulled out of the dealership drove about a mile and my car flashed so kind of warning. I turned around to go back to the dealership and it died. I was less than a mile away from getting on the interstate where I would have been traveling at 70 mph.

- Breese, IL, USA

Oct 052012

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta tdi. The contact stated that while traveling 60 mph the vehicle stalled. The driver was able to merge to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to a private mechanic where it was found that the fuel system had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 90,000. The VIN was not available.

- Marion, AR, USA

Apr 062011

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Over the past 18 months, the dealer has replaced all three of the diesel fuel pumps in my car. The failures did not occur in traffic, nor was the car totally disabled. The purpose of this report is to add my data to the other reports already collected. My car has been fixed under warranty so far, but my warranty will expire in 15,000 miles. I am concerned as to the longevity of the replacement parts.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Dec 152011

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Car lost power and stalled. Glow plug light started flashing. Had the car towed to the dealer. Warranty repair. They said it was the accelerator sensor, but that made no sense to me. The car has performed okay since then, but I'm concerned the same thing will happen again. I am now out of warranty. This is a 2009 tdi Jetta wagon.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Sep 242012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

While driving down the road, my warning light flashed a coil symbol, pulled the car to the side of the road and looked up the problem in the manual. Blinking coil indicated 'drive to local service' so I tried to crank the car, which started. Began to drive, but as I approached a hill and intersection the vehicle became sluggish and slow. Upon braking at intersection, the vehicle shut off. I was in the car with three of my four children, the oldest is 17 and has a dl, so I put her in the drivers seat and my 12 year old and I pushed the car out of the intersection to avoid collision. Called dealership, they said tow it in, and I have extended warranty to cover defects. The next day I am told that there is bad fuel, not gasoline but sweet smelling diesel.( SC is running cars on biodiesel which has a sweeter smell), warranty company sending inspector. His report says he smelled gasoline, but tech says impossible as the vehicle would never have gone 450 miles on gasoline before this malfunction. We feel that VW is trying to hide the problem under the gas companies and avoid major cost. Staring at $8000 repair bill for a car now worth $12K. We cannot afford this kind of expense as I am sure most consumers in America would concede. We have read and documented many cases where VW has repaired this problem in or out of warranty because of the defective part. Feel that this is just now an issue with the fuel, they knew the standards for highway diesel when they put the part in the car, shouldn't have sold it if it would not stand up to the pressure. Will not accept this as our fault. Cannot accept this as our fault.

- Wagener, SC, USA

Aug 202012

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled and failed to restart. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who diagnosed that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was no longer under warranty. The failure and the current mileage was 87,000.

- Brick , NJ, USA

Aug 312012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

2009 Jetta Volkswagen tdi, with only 50500 miles on it. The car died in the middle of intersection at 35mph. This was during rush hour traffic. In the car was me 32, my wife 36, my daughter of 8 years old and son of 2 years old. It was a very scary event. I had it towed to the nearest VW dealership. It took them 3 days to look at this car and after I called 15 times, they told me that this fuel pump had been slowly breaking down inside the fuel tank, running through the lines and into the injectors. They have told my this could be extremely expensive. I have always used clean diesel, and filled up at new gas stations. This was just today I spoke with them, and I have done some researching and found this to be called hpfp issue. From as many cases I have seen posted on the internet, this should definitely be a recall.

- Candler, NC, USA

Aug 272012

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph the vehicle suddenly stalled and an engine malfunction message displayed on the instrument panel. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who diagnosed that the high pressure fuel pump broke apart internally and the metal shavings from the fuel pump were found throughout the fuel system. As a result, all fuel related components needed to be replaced. There was an investigation under NHTSA action number: EA11003 (fuel system, diesel) that may be related to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Austin, TX, USA