2009 Volkswagen Jetta fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta:

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jun 192016

Vehicle stalled without warning while traveling out of state in 118 degree weather near phoenix. Stall occurred just as we were turning back onto the highway after stopping to check the map. Check engine light came on and engine would crank but not start. Towed to nearest dealer who diagnosed hpfp failure known to occur with VW tdi engines.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Mar 152016

The vehicle is part of the VW tdi emissions scandal. The vehicle currently needs a dpf which is one of the parts affected by the emissions scandal and one that will eventually need to be replaced for the car to meet/pass emissions. VW should pay for this expensive repair now.

- New Paltz, NY, USA

Feb 092016

Engine fire in motion on the highway cause unknown.

- Portola Valley, CA, USA

Feb 212016

We have been having an issue with the engine stalling out while driving. It started with the epc light coming on several months ago, but the light does not stay on and there has been no consistency to the occurrences. However, now, the car will stay running for long and stalls out shortly after starting. The epc comes on sometimes, but not every time that is stalls out. Today I took the car for a drive around the block, as soon as I got it back home, it stalled out. From that point on the car would not stay running for more than 15 seconds.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 082016

My car has 146K miles. It is a diesel. The high-pressure fuel pump failed while in motion on 2/8/2016. VW limit on hpfp warranty extension is 120K miles which seems low for a diesel car. To repair the fuel system is $5300 which is more than the car is worth. Called VW and they will not offer any financial assistance...even with this car being part of 'dieselgate'. hoping other drivers with this same problem are complaining and ODI considers re-opening the report. Link here

- Shallowater, TX, USA

Jan 032016

This is for a 2009 VW Jetta tdi. The tdi of course has been involved with VW adjusting software to cover up nox emissions on several year models of their diesel 2.0 engines. What also needs to be looked at is the high number of failures involving the diesel particulate filter (dpf) units. It could be the software hat has been churning out wrong emissions readings could have possibly overtaxed the soot collection in this vehicles as well. I would suggest someone from your office peruse forums at tdiclub and other tdi sites to see the number of these units that have been reported by members. I have not had the failure as of yet, but wanted to bring this to your attention

- Painesville, OH, USA

Dec 032015

While driving on a city street, my car began to make a rumbling sound, followed by a engine warning message turning on. Within a minute, my car died and would not restart. We towed our 2009 VW Jetta sportwagen tdi to a VW specialized mechanic who confirmed that there were metal shavings in the fuel system that seems to be resulting from a hpfp failure. Mileage was at 131769 at time of failure. (outside of the extended warranty time period for the hpfp issue) 12/21/2012 two faulty rear passenger seat belts were replaced. Airbags had not been deployed and car had not been in an accident prior to seat belts breaking.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Dec 032015

"high pressure fuel pump" addendum to complaint #10808605 please add to the previous that my husband was driving the vehicle at the time & I failed to mention that when the (hpfp) failed he was in the fast lane of the freeway & his power was immediately stopped. This happened on the I10 freeway eastbound just before the "county line rd" offramp in yucaipa, ca. There was no shoulder in the fast lane for him to pull over. He was very fortunate that there was no traffic to his right as he had to make it across 2 lanes of traffic in an uphill grade. The car barely made it to the offramp! if there had been traffic (typically slow moving truck traffic), he would have been trapped in the middle of the freeway & surely hit!! in my previous complaint I was angry about VW not taking responsibility for the known failure. We are responsible car owners & regularly service our vehicles. I could understand had this been negligence on our part. My husband commutes 200 miles a day & we rely heavily on having a reliable vehicle, which we thought we had in a VW diesel. They recognized the defect by offering a 10yr, 120,000 mile warranty extension. Mind you this is a diesel engine which has a life expectancy of at least double this. At some point this failure was bound to happen & VW knows it. I spoke with many VW technicians in the diagnosis of this issue & they all acknowledge this is a faulty part. Some of the blogs try to allude that poor fuel is the cause, but the mechanics don't agree.any assistance you can provide in getting VW to take responsibility would be greatly appreciated. This not only endangered the life of my husband, but this is a $5500 repair!!

- Yucaipa, CA, USA

Dec 032015

Driving of freeway & sudden loss of power. Car died on the offramp & unable to start. Glow plug light & battery light illuminated. Towed to local shop expecting an alternator repair. They diagnosed hpfp failure. $5500 repair!! this is a known issue & should have been a recall! I received a warranty extension (10yr or 120,000mi) letter June 2015. My vehicle is 2009 with 155K miles at that time. My vehicle has depreciated due to the emission system & now this.

- Yucaipa, CA, USA

Oct 192015

Driving home when exiting off to the hwy my Jetta will flash the ABS, brake and ESC lights while beeping. Took car to mechanic it was relayed that the ABS module was bad. I refuse to take car to VW dealer because I already have issues with them about the erc valve and diesel fuel particulate filter (engine light constantly stays on) being 1 of the issues VW has admitted being faulty but still not doing anything about it. To get the ABS fixed it's going to be over $2500 and the have the erc & diesel fuel particulate filter fixed is over $3000. Each of these items are faulty and should be taken care of by the dealer with a cent paid from my pocket. Both are life threatening faults that eventually could lead to my death or deaths of others. I have no choice as this is my sole source of transportation so I have to drive it. Even though VW admits fault they are doing nothing to help except for offering "consolation" gifts - none will cover cost to fix car and get myself and others out of danger. VW needs to be held responsible.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 032015

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle hesitated and the engine stalled. The vehicle was unable to restart. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the failure was related to the fuel system. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure continued. The vehicle was taken again to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the high compression fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not provided. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. Updated 01/21/16

- Hilton Head Island, SC, USA

Oct 202015

Yesteday, the engine shut down after I got off freeway at offramp. As I came to a stop at the traffic light and engine stopped. Had a flashing "glow plug" icon on dash for less than a minute and little no acceleration before exiting freeway. Would not restart. Had to have car towed 50 miles to home. Today I find a dtc of P0087, fuel pressure too low. I unscrewed the screws holding the fuel filter assy top cover. Lifting the cover, I saw metal particles on top of the fuel filter. This always means the hi-pressure fuel pump has failed - forcing metal particles to the fuel tank, hi pressure fuel rail, fuel injectors, fuel filter and fuel lines.

- Bay Point, CA, USA

Oct 122015

The high pressure fuel pump of the tdi diesel version of this car is easily compromised under regular use and sends the car into a disabled mode while driving. It is dangerous and very unclear what is happening.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 022015

Engine light came on, I had my mechanic do a 120,000 mile service and diagnose the dash engine light and the intake manifold was replaced. When I picked the car up I smelled diesel. I drove it 13 miles, when I got home I smelled diesel again. I opened the hood and there was diesel all over the left engine side. There was a wet, split fuel line, leaking fluid in the parking lot, a blue plastic set small rings (like the olympic symbol) sat near the split hose. It could have caused a fire, and other cars to be in danger from slick road, among other things.

- Watsonville, CA, USA

Sep 012014

This problem is caused by fuel pump failure in VW diesel engines. It happens in two ways. Fuel pump fails sending metal shards throughout the fuel system or fuel pump provides inadequate pressure and car enters 'limp mode'. in the first case the car stops running and entire fuel delivery system must be replaced. The second case happens under load (passing, entering freeway or climbing incline). 'limp mode' means loss of power. The car must be pulled over, ignition turned off and then back on to clear error code. This is very dangerous when freeway driving. I've had both cases of failure. VW has opted not to recall but rather deal case by case. My last failure was with a pump with only 2000 miles on it. Bosch makes the pumps. After a few pump replacements, VW refuses to pay. After the last replacement I was told that it would take an 'act of god' to break the new version of pump. So I guess god broke it. There is much documentation online for 'limp mode'. a good source for documenting the problem is (search limp mode). I don't know if a recall will fix the problem since the pumps will continue to fail. I do believe that VW should replace the pumps at their own expense in perpetuity. I also believe that Bosch should be held accountable for providing substandard pumps.

- Sun City West, AZ, USA

Aug 252015

The contact owns a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving 60-70 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who diagnosed that the high pressure fuel pump failed. The dealer stated that there was no permanent remedy for the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Vista, CA, USA

Sep 072015

Upon pulling out of a driveway, vehicle showed flashing "glow plug" indicator and loss of power (limp home mode). Pulled over, turned off vehicle and restarted, indicator cleared and vehicle drove normally. On subsequent trip later in the day, same symptoms appeared. Again, cleared by stop and restart of vehicle. Flashing glow plug indicator returned almost immediately, this time with solid "check engine" indicator as well. Drove to dealership service department where they found metal fragments in the fuel system and likely high pressure fuel pump failure. Currently awaiting results of fuel test to verify failure was not caused by misfueling with gasoline.

- Lafayette, CA, USA

Aug 242015

Engine stalled when driving and would not restart. Metal fragments were found in the entire fuel system damaging all components.complete fuel system replacement is only alternative per Volkswagen of America. Contacted Volkswagen customer assistance and was told assistance is not an option due to a federal mandate limiting time and mileage to 10 years or 120000 miles. Also stated Volkswagen would have been able to repair at their discretion if not for the federal government regulations"? this is a very common failure that local dealer states occurs locally 4-5 times a week in this area. The average repair cost is over $6000 dollars. I have been told the NHTSA had investigated this situation and closed the probe. If dealer records were investigated thoroughly, they would have found a tremendous number of like failures that cannot all be attributed to improper fueling or tainted product. 4-5 times a week since 2009?" absurd and unacceptable.

- Bartlett, TN, USA

Aug 212015

The glow plug light began flashing and the check engine light was on (had been on for the entire duration of my ownership of 1 year for the car). We were on the highway and the car steadily lost power in the span of a quarter mile. We pulled off the side of the road. The engine would crank but not start. The mechanic the next day found metal shavings in the fuel system and suspects a high pressure fuel pump failure. The recommendation was to replace both fuel pumps and fuel lines. We have never misfueled the car - we have only used diesel fuel at top stations like shell and bp.

- Decatur, GA, USA

Aug 232015

Stopped and left the line at a green light when our 2009 Jetta tdi sputtered and stopped in the middle of a busy intersection. Was able to get the vehicle towed to a local VW dealership and given an invoice for $5500 for the high pressure pump, which is identified a known issue by VW under a self-imposed extended warranty but never under a recall. As I was told by VW customer service, since there was never a catastrophic issue to our vehicle prior to 120K miles, instead at 124K miles, the safety items were not identified and corrected.

- Orcutt, CA, USA