2009 Volkswagen Jetta miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta:

2009 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Aug 162016

Jetta

Ignition key tumbler will not turn. Cannot start vehicle and other times the engine cannot be turned off. Only buy luck was able to eventually turn vehicle off. No other option available to shut down vehicle engine if this problem experienced.

- Nags Head, NC, USA

May 022016

Jetta

Randomly, most of the vehicle warning lights, check engine or malfunction indicator light, brake system, ABS, traction control or esp, airbag fault, appear while I am using a brake for red light and driving on any kinds of roads. Then I feel the wheel as heavier than usual, the past (cannot turn smoothly like before). I just purchased the used vehicle on December 16, 2015. The cardealer, autonation, sold the car by advertising that's well maintenanced and all checked. However, within6 months after the purchase, those vehicle warning lights came up on the display. Autonation suggested me to go to wollswagen dealer. The mechanic at the local Volkswagen dealer gave me an estimates for the repair around 2,000 usd saying that ABS system is not working and needs to be replaced by a new one. I asked a help to autonation, but the dealer said that's why Volkswagen car is known as a risky choise. The dealer appolozied me saying that he cannot help me. Is there any way to return the car to autonation or to get my car repaired by autonation?

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Jan 082012

Jetta

Car door locks not working / erratic. When I bought the car from the dealer in santa cruz, California in 2012, they did not tell me the rear right passenger door did not automatically lock, nor could it be locked from inside. I had to manually lock it from the side, and now it stays locked all the time unless I pull the inside lever. Then, an year later, the other (left) passenger side started never locking too, and most of the time I have to manually lock the driver door with the key. The front right passenger door still works fine, as do all the alarms. The dealer says it will cost me $1400 to fix.

- Watsonville, CA, USA

May 132015

Jetta

The sun roof opened to the first tilt position without any action caused by the driver or passenger. It happened again on May 17 during a slow left turn in a shopping center. My concern is that it may be electrical in nature and may affect the door locks as well. On a previous occasion, I had difficulty opening the trunk and had to use my key to open the drivers side door.

- Deland, FL, USA

Nov 252013

Jetta

VW Jetta reverse / forward action error. Malfunction of car electronics / mechanics causing sudden acceleration and surging.

- Pleasant Hill, CA, USA

Nov 252013

- Pleasant Hill, CA, USA

Jan 222013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Driving up a mountain highway, the car lost all power (even with the gas pedal to the floor). Once pulled over, the vehicle wouldn't start again. The high pressure fuel pump in the tdi failed catastrophically and sent metal shrapnel throughout the entire fuel system.

- Running Springs, CA, USA

Mar 192011

Jetta

VW Jetta 2009 stalls and engines dies while driving. Lost ability to steer vehicle - able to coast to side of road. Car towed to VW dealership and they have been unable to recreate the problem. Concerned if this happens on major road and loss of steering could result in accident.

- Fort Belvoir, VA, USA

Nov 152009

Jetta

Shortly after purchase, car began to fill with water. Not directly from the sun roof but from a disconnected or damaged drain hose. Causing serious mold & electrical problems. VW has reluctantly looked into the problem, replaced parts, but only made it worse. And the car is now undrivable.

- Sitka, AK, USA