2010 Volkswagen Jetta brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Jetta:

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

May 182016

Jetta

Car was taken into dealership in April 2015 for inspection. Needed new struts and driver door panel, door needed fixed due to no lights on locks and door itself would not lock. Paid $1400 for everything when picking up the car, got in car and radio did not work when picking up. Said it was a fuse, never fixed the problem. September 2015 windshield wipers quit working. $45 for that repair. 2-3 weeks later battery died. Replaced the battery for $111. 3-4 weeks later battery was dead again, had to tow it to shop. Replaced battery again $200+ parts and labor. 3-4 weeks later after replacing the battery twice, same thing happens again. Car is dead, towed to shop again. Can't figure out the problem, towed to dealership. Taken to a dealership for one problem of the car being dead now there is a shifter problem and the ABS unit needs replaced. The ABS lights were not on while the car was at the last shop before this dealership. The car hasn't been driven for approximately 5-6 months if not longer due to these issues. How does my ABS unit need replaced if it hasn't been driven?

- Butler, PA, USA

Sep 142015

Jetta

L/R caliper required adjustment and lubrication due to stuck in position. No emergency break used. Noticed when leaving parking lot of store and smelled burning rubber. Got out of auto and my wheel is smoking and glowing. Required tow and repair 9/14/2015. I notice over the course of couple months my tires I need to fill up more (every time I need to drive) but tread is great at 41K on a 2010 auto. I schedule appointment with VW. 12/22 I get in for a diagnostic and told I need new calipers cause old one damaged. Need to do both sides for safety. 1/5/16 cost $1200 to replace both back break disks, calipers and flush break fluid at VW authorized dealer. Issue happened following normal day shopping. I have no idea how it could have gotten stuck but thankful I did not drive back home and close to friends house because the wheel would have caught fire or fallen off etc. No idea how this happened but if happens to someone on highway that caliper kicks on and driver does not know then you have a faulty problem.

- Silvis, IL, USA

Sep 082014

Jetta

Took car to dealership for 40,000 mile maintenance/tune up. The dealership called to tell me I needed new rear brake pads. What I don't understand is how the left brake pad can be almost gone and need to be replaced while the other brake pads have 80% of wear left. I asked about this and the manager said they just do that sometimes.really? one brake pads wears to almost nothing but the other three are still good. This is a serious safety issue and needs to be fixed by Volkswagen immediately.

- Augusta, GA, USA

May 022014

Jetta 4-cyl

Driving on 2nd lane of freeway. Sudden loss of power - all warning lights come on dashboard accompanied by bells and dings. Pulled over to side of road - fortunately traffic not heavy. Engine was still running however no forward movement when pushing accelerator pedal - engine just revved. Turned car off then restarted. Warning lights still flashed but was able to put car into drive and start rolling - vehicle was in "limp" mode however and would not go over 10 mph. Vehicle was towed to dealership where it was diagnosed and the ECU reset. Dealership unable to recreate problem. On 8/16/14 the same thing happened as I was pulling out of my driveway. The vehicle was again towed to dealership where it was diagnosed with a faulty ABS control unit for an estimated $2500.

- Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

Apr 012014

Jetta

When I approached a red light I pushed the clutch in and started to slow down. I was in the turn lane and there was an opening as I started moving feet from clutch to fuel pedal. The car lurch and came to a stop. The car had died while I was slowing down to get in the turn lane. I have called the VW dealer and they have no idea on why the car did and is still doing this. I don't feel it is safe for me or for my family, I am a firefighter and I really truly believe that the car is going cause an accident or kill us. The car has shut off on its own over twenty times in the last few months. It doesn't happen every time that the clutch is depressed, some days it doesn't do it at all. Other days it is every time or every other stop. When traveling at highways speeds the Jetta lurches like it is out of fuel even thou it has a full tank. All of the cars maintance is up to date per the dealer.

- Auburn , IN, USA

Mar 302014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

After failing inspection last week for the second time in two years, I preceded to change the rear brakes (which were the reason for the inspection failure). The driver's side rear brake pad was wore completely to the metal. The passenger's side looked as though it had come directly out of the box, no wear at all. The parking brake was not hung up, wheels spun freely after replacing both sides. This was the same case when the vehicle failed inspection two years, approximately 40,000 miles, ago. After reading many other Jetta owners have experienced similar issues with the rear brakes failing prematurely, I decided to submit this issue to NHTSA.

- Shippensburg, PA, USA

Nov 142013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated while driving 30 mph, she depressed the brake pedal and the brakes began to make a squeaking noise. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection who stated that the left brake pad had worn down to 25% while the right brake pad had only worn down to 75%. the mechanic did not know why the left brake pad wore down faster than the right. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Pehonix, AZ, USA

Dec 022013

Jetta

Re: parking brake. In Dec 2013, my 2010 VW Jetta tdi rolled backwards with the parking brake fully engaged. It hit another stationary vehicle; thankfully there were no injuries except to the two cars. I had brought in the vehicle to the dealer in Feb 2013 with the concern that the parking brake was not secure. They said their was little adjustment to be made and it was working to specs. My vehicle had undergone it's 40K service two months prior to the most recent incident that resulted in a crash. Working up to "specs" is clearly not sufficient or safe. I would like this to be investigated.

- Aptos, CA, USA