2010 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Jetta:

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 4 of 9)

Dec 222014

I went to drive to work and turned on my car. No radio. Nothing. No power to it. Absolutely nothing. No bluetooth for safe and hands free driving, nothing. Can't get it fixed for less than $1000. Nothing to explain what causes it. No blown fuses no anything. No explanation whatsoever.

- Navarre, FL, USA

Jul 252014

Jetta 4-cyl

Went to start the vehicle and the radio/satellite/blu tooth phone system quit suddenly. System went dark. Dealer said it was a bad system. Removed system for repair and found that it had a bad ic chip that is destroyed. Fortunately no fire resulted from the loss of the chip on the system circuit board. Board is not repairable due to the chip being baked onto the board and not soldered. Board is not replaceable due to no parts availability from delphi or VW. Very common problem with this radio and VW has ignored thousands of complaints about the defective system.

- Ignacio, CO, USA

Jan 272015

Jetta 4-cyl

Driving down the road listening to music, heard a loud pop (like a static electrical pop) and then the entire radio system went dead including bluetooth for my phone. Radio will no longer turn on. I have seen a large number of similar cases (pop and then dead radio).

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Jan 212015

I purchased a 2010 Jetta August 2014 with 48,000 miles. I thought this would be a good car for my daughter's first car. Now 5 moths later she was driving and the radio just went out and screen went black.checked fuses and nothing. Talked with Volkswagen and no recalls which if you google it there are alot of the same problems. They won't do anything. This makes me very mad that my 16 year daughter used her money to buy a car and only has 50,000 and they want $800 to fix. That is crazy! I will never buy VW again they do not help anyone.

- Oviedo, FL, USA

Jan 172015

Car radio suddenly shutoff while driving and would not turn back on.touch screen does not respond. Checked fuses on engine component and left side panel, and no fuses are blown. Now the passenger headlight and driver's side taillight are also out, but replaced with new ones they still do not come on. Very concerned that the electrical issues will drain the battery and that there is no apparent cause for this incident.I do not seeing a new radio as being the solution, I refer to this discussion with very similar issues to mine.

- Southport , FL, USA

Dec 302014

The radio quit working making the bluetooth hands free not operable? safety issue as I need the blue for talking while driving for work.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 252014

Radio simply stopped working. The radio had bluetooth hands free operation feature. So, my family can no longer operate the car safely making or receiving phone calls. This problem has occurred with a multitude of 2010 versions of this car. The problem is internal to the radio made by delphi, so it may cross over to other automobile mfg models. This is a very premature time for radio failures after 3 years in service.

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Jan 072015

Radio was working perfectly fine yesterday morning on my commute to work. Went out for lunch. Black screen. No audio. No bluetooth. I can live without a radio. But I cannot live without having a hands free option for my phone. I am on the phone for work and traveling often. After reading numerous complaints on I am afraid that this complaint will go unnoticed.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jan 072015

Started car to leave work today and radio would not turn on just a black touchscreen. In researching this problem, I see there are hundreds if not more with the exact problem. So I hope this helps to get something rolling.

- Milford, MI, USA

Dec 312014

Jetta 4-cyl

After entering street, after approximately 1/2 mile, glow light indicator came on and did not flash, a pop sounded and the engine died and could not be restarted, vehicle was towed 25 miles to dealership, waiting for diagnosis. No prior warning lights or indicators that the engine was inoperable. Had a new battery and had just made a trip of 345 miles two days prior.

- Canton, GA, USA

Sep 292014

Jetta 5-cyl

We were driving home after having the vehicle serviced for the 50K checkup, oil change, and recall fix. The radio quit working, taking out all stereo, speakers, and bluetooth system communication. The bluetooth is still working in some context as the phone is now picked up by the vehicle when a call comes through but it must be manually changed to the phone speakers, as it tries to route it through the car. This happened less than 20 miles after leaving the garage.

- Falls Creek, PA, USA

Sep 132014

Jetta 4-cyl

My husband & I were out of town, driving down a main street, in the rain, when there was a pop, and the radio just went black. My bluetooth was still functional, however, I couldn't use it due to the fact it works through the radio. I commute a lot, not having the bluetooth functionality is a safety hazard.

- Queensbury, NY, USA

Dec 152014

The radio and bluetooth system want kaput upon starting the car one morning. This is a problem that others have documented on social media ( and that VW will not acknowledge as a manufacturers' flaw. It's a $700 fix for most customers and an issue that potentially causes safety issues if not addressed, considering the tie to the hands-free phone system.

- Tinton Falls, NJ, USA

Dec 192014

I am having a similar issue with my vehicle as in NHTSA id numbers 10660948, 10664166, 10662515 and 10633219. All four of my vehicle's door locking mechanisms have failed. As a result, the doors cannot be opened from the outside of the vehicle. This could be a safety issue in the event of an accident or the need to quickly evacuate a passenger from the vehicle.

- Westampton, NJ, USA

Dec 212014

Jetta 5-cyl

While driving the touchscreen radio turned off and will no longer turn back on. My phone remained connected to the blue tooth system, however, I was unable to use this function since it goes through the radio and car speakers. The next day, while driving in the rain, my wipers stopped working as well. These are major safety issues (the lack of handsfree for someone that commutes every day as well as a visibility issue when unable to use wipers in rain).

- Onancock, VA, USA

Jul 012012

Jetta 4-cyl

I have a 2010 Jetta wolfsburg 2.0 turbo. I have had nothing but problems with it and the dealer can't seem to help me. The doors won't lock or unlock consistently with the key fob. When I lock it, the horn beeps to let me know the alarm is on, but the doors don't lock! not even manually. If I open the door, the alarm sounds, but the doors won't lock! the touchscreen radio made a popping sound about 5 days ago and went completely black. The radio is hooked up to the car's blue tooth so that is not working either. No hands free talking for me! I also paid a lot of money to have a lifetime subscription to sirius satellite radio for that car. That sucks! the blinkers don't work properly. If I put my left blinker on, the right one goes on and vice versa. My expensive key, broke off in the ignition randomly. The car stalls while idling. The gas pedal gets stuck in the "up" position causing me to lose acceleration on the highway and barely be able to move. My check engine light is constantly going on and off for no apparent reason. It is one thing after another. The car is only 4 yrs old! these are safety issues that it seems lots of VW owners are having. Having no locking doors, or doors that won't unlock, no alarm, no radio/bluetooth, faulty blinkers, and a sticky gas pedal are all dangerous! I left my car at the dealer for a whole day and they said "'s a mystery" um....what! from what I can see, I should be expecting my car battery to die any day now due to the radio. Lemon!

- Coventry, RI, USA

Oct 082014

My 2010 VW Jetta wolfsburg radio went dead about 1 month ago. Forward to present day. After I came home from a 5 day vacation it would not start. I had to get a jump. This morning it would not start again after sitting 24 hrs. Before this all happened the doors would lock and unlock and the window would not roll up all the way. I cannot use bluetooth and my car sporadically will not start.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Nov 252014

Jetta 4-cyl

Door locks don't work requires replacement of entire door lock mechanism on three doors (drivers side front, both back doors). When the unlock button is pressed -whether it's the one on the door or on the key fob- the locks do not disengage. Sometimes the front door doesn't lock, yet the car alarm is set (so if you try to open the door after pushing the lock button on the fob, it opens and the horn starts blaring). The problem with the back doors makes it impossible to get a small child out of the back of the car as there is no manual door lock mechanism on the car. Would be dangerous in the event of an accident or other incident requiring that the passengers exit the vehicle. There should be a manual unlock mechanism for each and every door.

- Davidsonville, MD, USA

Nov 152014

Jetta 4-cyl

Safety issue - stereo is no longer functioning taking with it hands free bluetooth capabilities for making phone calls.

- Colchester, CT, USA

Nov 112014

Jetta 4-cyl

Driving up to park my 2010 VW Jetta wagon tdi curbside in front of my house, I heard a loud "pop" emit from somewhere near the instrument panel and the touch-screen radio in my vehicle went completely black. The radio supplies the vehicle's blue-tooth capability to allow drivers to communicate emergencies, and those calls must be done hands-free (I.e. over blue tooth or similar system), as required by law in California. Since this incident the radio (and speaker system) in the vehicle has been non-functional. I asked my local VW dealer if there were any outstanding recalls on this vehicle. They informed me there were none, but the radio spontaneously dying, particularly in this model year, has been a common complaint of VW owners. This is made clear by the many, many postings on various web boards. Factory installed defects in radios that prevent drivers from communicating emergency needs while on the road, and also prevent drivers from receiving emergency notifications over public broadcast channels while driving is a serious safety concern that must be addressed and remedied by the manufacturer immediately.

- Encino, CA, USA