2010 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Jetta:

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 8 of 9)

Jul 112013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

While starting my car and getting ready for work I noticed I had a headlamp out. I thought I could drive to work safely so, I started my commute. However, on stopping to get coffee I noticed I had taillights out and upon further testing brake lights were failing to. I stopped at a autoparts store to replace the tail lights and noticed that I had lost the other headlamp and backup lights. I decided to park the car and call the dealership for advice. I had the car towed (to dangerous to drive) to the dealership and at that time it was diagnosed of having a burned fuse panel box. It was replaced for a total of $533.11 dollars. The reason I am reporting this is I read an article in my local newspaper (zanesville times recorder)about the same thing happening in VW tiguans. I wanted to bring to light that it is happening in VW Jetta's also. My car is a 2010 VW Jetta diesel. The high mileage is due to a 110 mile round trip daily commute. I have the burned fuse box panel in my possession if you would like it for inspection.

- Zanesville, OH, USA

Nov 052013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The vehicle failed to start so it was jumpstarted with no problems then taken to get the battery tested. The battery, alternator, and starter all tested ok. Then warning lights indicating that the right headlamp and right rear taillamp illuminated then went out. Vehicle was driven to the dealer and they determined that a part of the fuse box had melted. Upon further inspection a 30amp fuse for the brake lights had melted into the fuse panel, but had not popped the fuse.

- Hobart, WA, USA

Oct 142013

Jetta 5-cyl

Exterior lights on both sides of vehicle failed to operate in the dark. Entire fuse box had to be replaced (out of warranty) though VW did agree to pay for the part since the vehicle has not been out for too long.

- Dripping Springs , TX, USA

Aug 012013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Driver side door will not unlock with the key fob or via button on drivers side door. Key in outside of lock will work. Intermittently, the rear driver's side door will not unlock at all and therefore won't open from inside or out. Dangerous if someone needs to exit the car. In doing a search online for a potential cause, I found large numbers of forum entries for similar complaints - seems to be a common problem in VW's.

- Davidsonville, MD, USA

Sep 062012

Doors unlock with the keyless entry so I have to manually open the door from the inside- this seems like it is a safety hazard to me. I had three of the four door latches replaced (2 under warranty & 1 I had to pay for) and now the fourth door needs to be replaced. I will have to pay to get it replaced. It seems like this is a known problem why isn't the manufacture paying for it?

- Crofton, MD, USA

Aug 202013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The 2010 VW Jetta sportwagen tdi (with dsg automatic transmission) was decelerating on a turning lane from a two lane highway from speeds of 55 mph to 15 mph. There was an audible "click" and the engine stopped and only dash lights were operable. No discernible dash light or error code message was received. The vehicle restarted after the transmission was placed in park, and the ignition key was again turned on. Again no messages or warnings appeared on the dashboard. Note: The seat heater was engaged (driver's side), air conditioning on, turn signal (left) activated, headlights on, bluetooth for phone linked, radio was operating until the shut-down.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Jul 222013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Since the vehicle was purchased it has had rough acceleration and intermittent surging but just recently it has exhibited rough and no starts along with stalls which all seems to be due to an issue with the ECU losing diagnostic communication with the vehicle.

- Linden, MI, USA

May 272013

While on vacation and backing up in the hotel parking lot, braking, then putting it in drive, the car would stall out; it happened 3 times in one day. Luckily, I was only in a parking lot while it stalled out instead of in traffic, which could have been a big hazard. Went to the dealer, and they didn't know what is wrong.

- Elmira, NY, USA

May 272013

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact started the vehicle and the instrument panel displayed an error message. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and they stated the main computer cluster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Cranston, RI, USA

Feb 212013

Jetta 4-cyl

The vehicle had driven fine all day when all of a sudden when I pulled up to a stop sign, the car died like it was running out of gas. I was in the middle of a the road at the stop sign, the car managed to start again and drive another couple hundred feet to get it off to the side of the road. Luckily I made it just past a set of rail road tracks. The car did not start again and had to be towed. The vehicle had its entire fuel injection pump system replaced along with the sensors. Mechanics have told me that the pumps should last the life of the engine.

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Jan 012013

VW Jetta tdi purchased in December 2009 in savannah, ga. The rear passenger door has had intermittent problems with the window bumping off the top when we attempt to close it. It then retracts to fully open. The main problem currently is the door lock on the same door. It will not lock under any type of attempt. I have tried the fob, the interior door lock on the driver door, and the lock on the door itself. I took it to the dealer who determined that I need a new lock assembly at the cost of $600. They later offered a reduced price of $491. Fortunately, I purchased a warranty when I bought the car and I only will be charged the $100 deductible. Thank goodness. The car has 60,000 miles on it and it seems a shame that the car is not safe at that minimal amount of miles.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jan 222013

I was traveling up a mountain road when my car decided to turn off. I had to coast across incoming traffic to the turnout. I waited here until I was able to get my car started and was able to drive home. I made an appointment for the following day to have it checked out. I was told it was the engine speed sensor. The epc and engine light were going on intermittently. There was no reason that my car should have these problems not covered by warranty when it is only about 2 years old with less than 60,000 miles on it.

- Rosemead, CA, USA

Dec 122012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I was driving on the highway doing about 55 miles an hour with full traffic and my Jetta sputtered and began to lose speed-quickly, I tried to accelerate by pressing gas pedal but nothing happened and I luckily coasted into store parking lot. I tried to restart it but it would not restart. I had it towed to VW dealership and they called me the next day to say it was the intercoolant system and it would be $1300. Very very lucky I was not hit.

- Tampico, IL, USA

Nov 032012

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the transmission overheat warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact moved off the roadway and restarted the vehicle, as it resumed properly. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for inspection where they advised the contact that the transmission needed to be replaced. The dealer also stated that while performing an inspection of the vehicle, he noticed that the wires that were connected to the alternator were burned and the fuse block needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 78,000.

- Goodlettsville, TN, USA

Nov 192012

On Monday, 11-19, after work I noticed that the bulb indicator light was in on the dashboard. I got out and walked around the car to see what went out and could not find anything. After getting back in I saw that the light was off. The next day when my husband got in the car the same incident happened. Later that same day I drove the car and the light came on. As I turned into a fuel station the turn signal began to flash quickly (indicating the turn signal was out). After I refuel the lights all came back on. No problems were noticed until Thursday, 11-22, when my husband started the car and the indicator light was on and he got out to check and the passenger turn signals was out, along with the passenger headlight, and the whole driver side tail light assembly is out.

- Calhoun, GA, USA

Aug 312012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The seal between the connectors and the drain hose for the sunroof drains leak (three of four connectors), allowing water to run down the both driver and passenger side A-pillars. This resulted in the airbag and its associated mounts/wiring and harness getting soaked. The water continued down the a pillars to collect in the front wheel wells. The path of the water was over/through the drivers side interior junction/fuze block. The rear drains also leak, causing intermittent electrical malfunctions. Note that this leak is not due to the drains being blocked. Rather the seals between the white plastic that connects to the drain and the brown drain hose is not complete. This allows water to drip down onto the frame. As much as 2-3 gallons of water could enter during a mild rain storm.

- Conover, OH, USA

Jun 252012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Car has had issues 4K on. Car would accelerate on its own from 70 mph to 75 like wide open throttle. Car will quit at highway speeds 70 mph (no power steering, no brakes, just the service engine now and glowplug light are on flashing, (50K on) this has happened 4 times, car will quit making a right hand turn hitting pothole (50K on). Total dpf system has been changed out two times from two dealers, 3 total with original. Erratic egr signal was always tripping check engine light, some faults but not all are exhaust gas recirc flow insufficient detected sporadic, cylinder 2 injector N31 open circuit sporadic, exhaust aftertreatment fuel supply control performance sporadic, throttle actuator control motor circuit range/performance sporadic, navigation antenna (gps) short to earth. Dealers have spent over 20 thousand dollars parts and labor, in 4 different shops over 83 days (overnight), over 95 including reading codes only. Out of warranty expenditures over 1 thousand dollars so far. 69,000 miles and the dealer tech has no idea how to fix this car, he started out saying he has never seen a car he can't fix. I have over 50 pages of dealer documented faults and repairs, reprogramming ECU, was replaced this year to see if that would fix problems, some gone but now major issues listed above are happening. Replaced diesel particulate filter 2 times, replaced O2 sensors, replaced egr sensors and gaskets 2 times, replace throttle position sensor, replaced pressure sensor. Only item not replaced is the wiring harness.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Dec 012009

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Horn is extremely hard to press and activate. Horn does not sound with normal and typical pressure to the steering wheel pad. Horn does not activate even with pounding to the press pad. Horn has repeatedly failed to activate when attempting to warn. This seems to be a serious safety issue, but the dealership service dept has advised it cannot be adjusted or repaired.

- Washington, Dc, DC, USA

Dec 082010

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

While at the dealer for fuel pump failure the car was found to have another serious issue. There was a seal going in to the cowling that had leaked and caused a major amount of water to leak in to the cabin of the vehicle, right where the electrical components and fuse panel are. This caused major damage and the car to stall / not run due to the water damage. Luckily this was found while the vehicle was not moving, otherwise the car would have stopped running due to Volkswagen's error of not having a sealed access port to the interior of the vehicle.

- Spring Lake, NJ, USA

Nov 282011

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Driving in heavy traffic at 45 mph the car dash dinged, I looked down and immediately the car lost power. I was almost in multiple accidents as the car slowed rapidly without brake lights (the car engine stopped so suddenly that it took three or four seconds to comprehend the situation and activate hazard lights and take appropriate action) to warn other cars that I no longer have power. Also, to try and move out of harms way was extremely difficult as the car had no engine power. The car was eventually towed to the dealer where they determined that metal from the fuel pump was in the entire fuel system.

- Spring Lake, NJ, USA