2.5

2010 Volkswagen Jetta engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Jetta:

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jan 252015

Jetta

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 37 mph, the engine and the glow plug system warning lights illuminated. In addition, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was towed to a impound lot. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 142015

Jetta

While driving home from work, about 30 minutes into a 40 minute drive, driving about 30 mph, in 16 degree F weather, my vehicle, a diesel with a 6 speed manual transmission suddenly stalled. I was able to engage the clutch, go to a lower gear, release the clutch and re-start the engine. With the engine bucking and hesitating, I was able to drive the rest of the way home. The next morning, the vehicle would not start. I had it towed to a VW repair shop where they found a completely blocked intercooler, full of ice. Doing some research, I have found that VW has a tsb to correct intercooler icing, which involves replacing the original factory unit with a new intercooler design. As I looked on VW forums, I found that many drivers have had similar unpredictable failure due to intercooler icing. When I requested VW correct this design flaw at their expense, they refused, claiming the vehicle is off warranty. I would like NHTSA to look into this, as I feel VW needs to either make a safety recall, or correct the problem on any car on which it occurs. This problem strikes me as similar to the recent GM ignition key failure issue. Thank you for your consideration.

- Hamilton, NY, USA

Jan 062015

Jetta

Went to start and loud clunk noise & engine would not turn over. Several pieces if ice were found in turbo intercooler area. In shop now. Known design deficiency that VW never informed us about. $1800 to implement tech bulletin with no reimbursement from VW, that is if engine is not ruined.

- Ripley, OH, USA

Dec 092014

Jetta

I was driving to work in my 2010 VW Jetta sportswagen tdi and was in a middle of an S turn when my car shut off, as I was coasting I tried to restart my car, when I did so my steering did not work. I was able to negotiate the S turn, but my car would not turn on. I had it towed to my dealer and they checked it out and said that there is water in the inner cooler due to condensation from the air intake. To me this sounds like a design flaw since when I inquired what will prevent this from happening again, they responded that the air intake part has been redesigned to prevent this from happening again. This was a very scary ordeal. If I did not have my wits about me I could have ended in the woods, luckily I was able to navigate the S turn. When I contacted Volkswagen they where willing to pay 75% of the cost even though I requested that they should cover the whole repair. Regardless, I am concerned what happened to me could happen to someone else with a less favorable outcome. What if this happen while crossing an intersection? I am hoping that you are already researching this issue for a recall, if not I hope you will look into this issue. Thank you for reading my complaint.

- Trenton, NJ, USA

Aug 152014

Jetta

I was driving my VW Jetta tdi on a local surface street in heavy traffic when my car died with no warning and initially would not restart. Fortunately I had enough momentum to coast to the side of the road to avoid being in an accident. I was able to restart the car and resume after a few moments. This has happened once more and is disconcerting. I always purchase fuel from name-brand and high-volume gas stations. I believe this to be related to NHTSA action number : EA11003.

- Cortez, CO, USA

May 032010

Jetta

The engine spontaneously stopped running while driving. I was entering an intersection, turning left, and put in the clutch to down-shift (manual transmission) and the engine stopped as soon as the clutch pedal went down, as if I had turned off the key. The engine starter would not re-engage until I figured out I had to turn the ignition all the way off then back to the start position to engage the starter. The engine re-started normally at that point and ran fine for the rest of that trip. The engine has done the same thing about six or eight times since then, the most recent time being about two weeks ago. This can make it quite interesting, turning at an intersection with oncoming traffic and having to take a hand off the steering wheel to do the complicated re-start - if the driver were to panic a re-start would not happen. Sometimes the engine also runs very rough, especially at idle, and will not accelerate the car - this has been a problem when turning onto a street or highway and needing to get up to speed to not get hit while merging with traffic. The engine also idles rough periodically but that has not been a safety concern although it might be related to the other problems. These problems happen at all engine and air temperatures - hot or cold, and even when the engine is fully warmed up. Multiple dealers and third-party repair shops have been unable to find the cause of this problem; no error codes are shown by the engine control computer and it happens infrequently enough they have not been able to reproduce the problem themselves.

- Kenmore, WA, USA

Jul 012012

Jetta

I have a 2010 Jetta wolfsburg 2.0 turbo. I have had nothing but problems with it and the dealer can't seem to help me. The doors won't lock or unlock consistantly with the key fob. When I lock it, the horn beeps to let me know the alarm is on, but the doors don't lock! not even manually. If I open the door, the alarm sounds, but the doors won't lock! the touchscreen radio made a popping sound about 5 days ago and went completely black. The radio is hooked up to the car's blue tooth so that is not working either. No hands free talking for me! I also paid a lot of money to have a lifetime subscription to sirius satalite radio for that car. That sucks! the blinkers don't work properly. If I put my left blinker on, the right one goes on and vice versa. My expensive key, broke off in the ignition randomly. The car stalls while idling. The gas pedal gets stuck in the "up" position causing me to lose acceleration on the highway and barely be able to move. My check engine light is constantly going on and off for no apparent reason. It is one thing after another. The car is only 4 yrs old! these are safety issues that it seems lots of VW owners are having. Having no locking doors, or doors that won't unlock, no alarm, no radio/bluetooth, faulty blinkers, and a sticky gas pedal are all dangerous! I left my car at the dealer for a whole day and they said "hmmmm......it's a mystery" um....what! from what I can see, I should be expecting my car battery to die any day now due to the radio. Lemon!

- Coventry, RI, USA

Dec 012014

Jetta

Vehicle lost power in heavy traffic, 50 mph speed zone. Check engine light illuminated, loss of turbo boost with resultant lack of ability to maintain speed. Internet search suggests a widespread problem involving icing and water ingestion through the intercooler in cold weather operations. Apparently may result in engine destruction. The safety ramifications are obvious and it is my understanding Volkswagen has been reluctant to honor powertrain warranty coverage. My dealer quoted $1100 to repair with a retro-fit kit. To protect the owner's investment and to rectify an obvious safety issue, I feel a recall is in order.

- North Platte, NE, USA

Jun 022014

Jetta

Vehicle will stall going from reverse to drive or from park to drive. Also from while accelerating there is sputtering that I need to release the accelerator and then apply again to keep it from stalling

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Sep 172014

Jetta

On my way home from work I was cruising down at the interstate with the car on cruise control. Everything was fine the first 45 minutes of driving then all of a sudden my glowplug light illuminated and started flashing meaning engine malfunction. My vehicle started losing speed all of a sudden on the interstate which could have easily caused a crash. Luckily I pulled the vehicle over on the side of the road and the vehicle just stalled out on me. Now Volkswagen is saying the high pressure fuel pump sent metal shards into the fuel system and it all needs replaced and they will charge me 8000 dollars. I cannot be blamed for the failure of a fuel pump on a car with 40000 miles.I never allow the tank to go below 1/4 of a tank. There have multiple reports of peoples high pressure fuel pump going out and sending metal shards into the fuel system. This is very dangerous and could get someone very hurt or could possibly result in death. Something needs to be done about this

- South Point, OH, USA

Jan 042014

Jetta

Was backing out of a parking space and then placing the car into drive. As I pressed the accelerator to pull away, the car started sputtering like it wanted to stall out. Immediately took it to dealer for scan and no codes found. Car has done this since and no codes again. Last incidence was last week and as I pressed the accelerator, the car sputtered so I left off the gas. Upon pressing the gas pedal again, car shut off and the battery light on the car came on. Placed car in park and it started with no incident from there. Took the vehicle to dealership and again no codes so they will not repair. I am scared this car will shut off in traffic leaving me in the middle of the road. Still waiting on a decision from vwoa regarding the safety and driveability of the car.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 022014

Jetta

Driving on 2nd lane of freeway. Sudden loss of power - all warning lights come on dashboard accompanied by bells and dings. Pulled over to side of road - fortunately traffic not heavy. Engine was still running however no forward movement when pushing accelerator pedal - engine just revved. Turned car off then restarted. Warning lights still flashed but was able to put car into drive and start rolling - vehicle was in "limp" mode however and would not go over 10 mph. Vehicle was towed to dealership where it was diagnosed and the ECU reset. Dealership unable to recreate problem. On 8/16/14 the same thing happened as I was pulling out of my driveway. The vehicle was again towed to dealership where it was diagnosed with a faulty ABS control unit for an estimated $2500.

- Laguna Niguel, CA, USA

Sep 012014

Jetta

Driving around city street. Jetta began to lose power and the glow bulb indicator began flashing. After turning off and restarting the car I drove for another two blocks then the glow bulb indicator came on again paired this time with the red battery indicator. After that the car rolled to a stop and would not turn back over.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Apr 012014

Jetta

When I approached a red light I pushed the clutch in and started to slow down. I was in the turn lane and there was an opening as I started moving feet from clutch to fuel pedal. The car lurch and came to a stop. The car had died while I was slowing down to get in the turn lane. I have called the VW dealer and they have no idea on why the car did and is still doing this. I don't feel it is safe for me or for my family, I am a firefighter and I really truly believe that the car is going cause an accident or kill us. The car has shut off on its own over twenty times in the last few months. It doesn't happen every time that the clutch is depressed, some days it doesn't do it at all. Other days it is every time or every other stop. When traveling at highways speeds the Jetta lurches like it is out of fuel even thou it has a full tank. All of the cars maintance is up to date per the dealer.

- Auburn , IN, USA

Aug 142014

Jetta

Failure of the high pressure fuel pump in a VW Jetta sportswagen tdi. Volkswagen made the repairs under warranty, for which I am appreciative. However, I am concerned it will happen again.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Aug 052014

Jetta

Was driving my 2010 VW Jetta sportwagon tdi at approx. 55 miles per hour when my service engine light came on and glow plugs started flashing. Car began to buck as if not getting any fuel through the system. Car stalled out on highway within a minute of the service lights flashing and will not restart. Luckily the cars behind me barely avoided hitting me as there was zero warning. Had to be towed to my garage, expect diagnosis tomorrow but after reading up on other complaints I am pretty sure they will report back that it is a hpfp issue and the system will need replaced.

- Tappahannock, VA, USA

Jul 252014

Jetta

Driving along when a warning light came on( epc) which is electronic power control. On my way to the dealer now.

- Bay Shore , NY, USA

Jun 242014

Jetta

2010 Jetta tdi. Driving on road at about 35 mph when car suddenly stalled. Glow plug light flashes, "service engine now" on display. Traffic was light and speed was enough to coast to safe location. Car would not restart. Towed to dealer. Dealer replaced some relay part but.... the very next day same thing. Car died while driving. Same symptoms as above. Again no warning prior to stalling. Towed to dealer. Dealer had car for a few days but could not find or reproduce problem. Checked ground connections as advised from vwoa technical assistance. Returned car to me with a 'let's wait and see' attitude. Third time, about 1500 miles later, same thing. This time on highway traveling at about 45 mph in heavy traffic. Car towed to different dealer. At the moment they can't diagnose or reproduce problem. My opinion is some fault is telling computer to kill engine. As a safety issue, I would think engine should remain running so that I can safely drive off the road and out of traffic and harms way. If this assumption is correct, then there has to be a limited number of reasons why engine should stall, instead of going into 'limp mode.' My research found reference to PE10034, but can't find article. Three times car stalls without warning. All 3 times on road. This is a safety concern, and local dealers seem hesitant to request help from vwoa ta. Dealer 1 did contact vwoa ta for support and guided fault finding didn't find anything. Dealer 2 still has no clue. No mandates on local VW dealers, by vwoa, to keep and share service records beyond warranty period, on national database, so other dealers have no idea what first dealer did. Keeping all dealer service records on national db will help spot issues sooner. Dealer 2 will hopefully ask vwoa ta for support beyond what dealer 1 did. Is there an escalation for this" what are my options"

- Smithtown, NY, USA

Oct 012013

Jetta 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway and the check engine light came on. The vehicle would not hold speed or accelerate. I pulled off the highway and the vehicle stalled out and would not restart. We replaced the high pressure fuel pump and fuse box. The car still will not start after a new fuel pump and fuse box, and we have been told that the wiring harness needs to be replaced.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 162014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

2010 VW Jetta sportwagen tdi. Car lost power at highway speeds. "glow plug" indicator illuminated and hud displayed "service immediately." Was able to safely pull over to shoulder. Car would not restart. Had to be towed to nearby dealership. Informed today that high pressure fuel pump (hpfp) had failed and would be covered under extended warranty. Will be without car for 5-10 days. Car is located 1 hour away from home. Rental car was offered, but I would have to get out to dealership to pickup. This is the second occurrence of hpfp failure on vehicle. Similar occurrence (loss of power on highway) happened on March 24, 2011. Again, car was stuck in dealership far from home.

- Berkeley, CA, USA