2.8

hardy worth mentioning

2010 Volkswagen Jetta engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Jetta:

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 042013

Jetta

On Oct. 4, 2013 the high pressure fuel pump failed while I was driving. The glow plug light started to blink, I started to pull over planning to shut the car off and restart it to see if the light went off. Before I got pulled over the engine died and would not restart. It had to be towed to the dealership. It could have been a very dangerous situation had I been driving in high speed traffic on the freeway. The high pressure fuel pump failure sent metal shavings through out the entire fuel system. All pumps, injectors, fuel rails, filters, lines all had to be replaced. The fuel tank had to be cleaned and lines all flushed. Thankfully it was covered by VW 60000 mile powertrain warranty. I have read about a lot of other people who have had this happen. It is very dangerous when your car just dies going down the road and will not restart.

- Saint Croix, IN, USA

Sep 252013

Jetta

Owned my 2010 VW Jetta sport wagon tdi 6sp man since new. It has always had an interment cough & sputter that would happen at any speed or condition, but was very infrequent an non-repeatable. Now however, starting at around 85,000 miles, the cough and stall has become more frequent, causes the glow plug indicator light to flash and the vehicle loses power (goes into limp mode?). this used to all reset when turning off the key. The last time I brought it to the dealer, parr imports in bremerton wa, at 89,802 miles it had P0322 & P0651 fault codes. They suspected an intermittent crank sensor fault and wanted me to monitor. It has progressively gotten much worse, I have now lost power in heavy traffic and stalled in the parking lot puling onto the road and have had to switch vehicles when it would not reset leaving the house. I was compelled to buy the torque application for my android phone to view and reset fault codes. I have not reset the ECU faults at least 4 maybe 6 times and now, at around 92,000 miles, it shows 5 codes and won't reset: P0322: Ignition/distributor engine speed input circuit no signal, P2127: Throttle/pedal position sensor/switch E circuit low input, P0193: Fuel rail pressure sensor circuit high input, P0651: Unknown code - more information may be available on the web, P0300: Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected. My internet research suggest the high pressure fuel pump (hpfp) may be an issue with VW blaming it on gasoline contamination, however I have records and receipts confirming I always fuel with diesel from a major distributor.

- Shelton, WA, USA

Aug 202013

Jetta

The 2010 VW Jetta sportwagen tdi (with dsg automatic transmission) was decelerating on a turning lane from a two lane highway from speeds of 55 mph to 15 mph. There was an audible "click" and the engine stopped and only dash lights were operable. No discernable dash light or error code message was received. The vehicle restarted after the transmission was placed in park, and the ignition key was again turned on. Again no messages or warnings appeared on the dashboard. Note: The seat heater was engaged (driver's side), air conditioning on, turn signal (left) activated, headlights on, bluetooth for phone linked, radio was operating until the shut-down.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Aug 012013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated while driving 25 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the check engine light. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated the fuel system and engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 77,000.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

May 272013

Jetta

While on vacation and backing up in the hotel parking lot, braking, then putting it in drive, the car would stall out; it happened 3 times in one day. Luckily, I was only in a parking lot while it stalled out instead of in traffic, which could have been a big hazard. Went to the dealer, and they didn't know what is wrong.

- Elmira, NY, USA

Jul 082013

Jetta

I stopped at a light after exiting the interstate and the vehicle stalled....I was almost rear ended.

- Parkton, NC, USA

Nov 242010

Jetta

2010 Volkswagen sportwagen tdi. Car suffered dozens of loss of power incidents, several left the car without power at freeway speeds. Repeat visit to dealer did not resolve problem, dealer was aggressive that I was mis-fueling the car with gasoline instead of diesel, which never happened once (I have full receipts for entire vehicle ownership). Latest incident left me without power or effective steering on I-5 bridge between Oregon and Washington, nearly causing an accident. Dealer and VW would not answer any questions, and claimed if they could not reproduce the issue, I was on my own. I suspect the high pressure fuel pump had an internal defect, that didn't lead to complete failure/destruction, but would intermittently throw errors causing the car to stall or lose power.

- Portland, OR, USA

May 302013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Pulled on to highway and vehicle suddenly stalled in middle of intersection. Engine went to idle. No throttle response. After several pedal presses it took off.

- Perry, MI, USA

Apr 052013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Last year, engine light came on even though the car was driving fine. I took it to dealer and said problem was due to defect in exhaust flap. He asked me to pay $770. Luckily, there was recall on the same a month later. Dealer fixed it, but engine light still is on. He told me that one of oxygen sensor is faulty now caused by exhaust flap problem and said it is not covered by recall and asked to pay $550. VW refused to correct the problem. Now, I can't even inspect the car. Present problem is caused by another recalled defective problem.

- Woodbury, NY, USA

Mar 112013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

My wife was driving her 2010 VW Jetta S/w tdi dsg home from work and she noticed that it seemed to be running a little rougher then usual (in December when we had the 40K service done we were told that it needed a fuel filter and that would solve the problem...it did for about a week or so). When she slowed down for traffic the RPM's would fluctuate between 500 rpms and 1400 rpms and nearly stalling at times. Finally when she got off the exit ramp near home, the Jetta stalled and a check engine light came on. Once she was home I found that it was reading code P0263. The Jetta went to dealer on 3/13 and we got it back on 3/22. Unfortunately it stalled out on my wife on 3/23 after a short trip across town while dropping my son off at his friends house. She preceded to come home after dropping him off as the stalling issue occurred while making a turn and she was nearly broadsided by a SUV! had the vehicles collided, it would have been a direct impact to my wife and son's seats! the next morning I took the Jetta out for a drive to see if I could duplicate the problem and boy did I ever. Thankfully the dealer is close by and I was able to get the car there but not without issues. It stalled out on me 4 times in the 1.5 mile trip. I too was nearly hit by an on coming car while making a turn. Not to mention it stalled while trying to merge onto the highway getting to the dealership. During the first visit for the stalling problem, VW had the dealer drain my full tank of diesel as they thought I used bad fuel and this was not the case. Next they reprogrammed the fuel injectors and that did not solve the problem. So VW had the dealer replace a fuel regulator valve and that did not work as well. After two more times of reprogramming the fuel injectors the light apparently went out a so VW of America and the dealer felt it was fixed and safe for us to drive. I think not!

- Allendale, NJ, USA

Feb 212013

Jetta 4-cyl

The vehicle had driven fine all day when all of a sudden when I pulled up to a stop sign, the car died like it was running out of gas. I was in the middle of a the road at the stop sign, the car managed to start again and drive another couple hundred feet to get it off to the side of the road. Luckily I made it just past a set of rail road tracks. The car did not start again and had to be towed. The vehicle had its entire fuel injection pump system replaced along with the sensors. Mechanics have told me that the pumps should last the life of the engine.

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Mar 142013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Bought tdi from ed martin Honda in indianapolis. Drove the car home. 30 minutes later, car would not start. Starter would crank, but engine would not fire. Started the next morning with no issues. Drove to indianapolis, about 40 miles. 2 hours later I went to leave, car would not start. After 40 minutes of cranking off and on, it finally started. Drove straight home. 3rd time drove to walmart, 3 mile trip. Car took 20 minutes to start.

- Shelbyville, IN, USA

Aug 202010

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

2010 VW Jetta 2.0 tdi cup edition: Entering traffic in first gear, at about 4000-4200 RPM, car had a complete loss of power. Engine did not die. I pushed in clutch and power returned. This has occurred monthly with no consistency since I purchased the car in July 2010. Occurs with a warm engine. Cold engine. Various levels of fuel, and various climate conditions. It has been taken to O'brien Volkswagen, a certified repair facility, every 3-6 months to have the issue resolved. Dealership can not replicate the issue and as a result has not solved the problem. Problem has been witnessed by three different passengers. A secondary stalling issue occurs between 1200-1800 with light gas peddle pressure. In this case, the car has a small pause or decrease in power. Down shifting and accelerating eliminates the problem.

- Salem, OR, USA

Jan 112011

Jetta 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that he attempted to start the ignition in cold weather but the engine failed to operate. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the engine froze as a result of ice accumulation. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 26,195. Updated 5/7/13 the consumer stated the safety concern was the possibility of ice breaking free causing the engine to seize.

- Middletown , NJ, USA

Feb 282013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

While driving my Jetta (diesel), the engine has stalled on multiple occasions. The first time it had stalled, my Jetta was only 1 month old and I took it back to the dealer. The dealer found nothing wrong and stated that he had never heard of this issue occurring. The Jetta stalled again over the subsequent 12 months of owning it and I once again took it to lee Volkswagen dealership in fort walton beach. The maintenance manager stated nothing wrong. The Jetta stalled a 3rd time just recently while I was making a right hand turn. I had children in the car and I was very concerned with their safety. In addition to the stalling issue, my Jetta (over the first 2 years of owning the car) has had a new battery, new compressor and new interior lighting mechanism installed. I am very disgruntled with the repeated safety issues on this vehicle. The stalling makes me uncertain of my safety or my children's safety while driving this vehicle. It should be recalled and money refunded to the individuals who have purchased this model.

- Niceville, FL, USA

Jan 292013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

2010 VW Jetta tdi common rail engine stalled while cruising at highway speed southbound on I-390 between geneseo and rochester, NY. When two attempts to restart car as normal failed, it was towed to dealer and repaired by replacing fuel injectors in cylinders 2 & 3 according to injector fault code that was generated. Vehicle was returned to me, then exhibited same systems again. Towed back to dealer whereupon discussion with VW tech line had dealer replace turbo intercooler, possibly due to extreme condensation and ice build up in the intercooler referenced by VW tsb # 21 12 01/2025464 frozen air charge cooler. After intercooler replacement, dealer notified me that the car is still exhibiting the same symptoms. Discussions with VW tech line resulted in notification to me that the engine wiring harness seems to be the problem and advises replacement of that for $988 including parts and labor. Hydrolock and catastrophic engine damage due to excessive condensation from emissions system design seems to be the more logical explanation, especially with the 112 and 234 pages respectively of posts of people with the same complaints on these well known forums: forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php"5574701-tdi-intercooler-issue-design-flaw&P=75723976&viewfull=1#post75723976 forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php"T=302863.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Feb 132013

Jetta

When an engine stall occurs, this car requires a full reset before a restart can be performed. This is very dangerous when said reset happens while the car is moving. Meaning żż a full reset means the ignition key must first be fully turned off. When the car is in motion and the key is fully turned off, at that time the locking gear in the ignition switch engages and locks the steering wheel... while the car is in motion!!! this is a common occurrence in the manual shift transmission models.

- Bainbridge Island, WA, USA

Jan 072013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The vehicle was valet parked. The valet attendant reported that the vehicle shut down as she was driving it up the ramp out of the parking garage. She also reported a knocking sound and that the "check engine" light was on. Upon entering the vehicle, I was unable to start it. I had the vehicle towed to the VW dealership. They told me that the high pressure fuel pump had failed and that they had seen other cars coming in with this same problem. Service department paperwork states: "defective high pressure pump-metal in system" and "found fault P0191." Vehicle speed at time of incident is estimated based on valet attendant's description.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 112013

Jetta

On Friday Jan. 11, 2013, the vehicle (2010 VW Jetta tdi) in question was traveling on an expressway at a speed of approximately 50 mph when suddenly the glow plug light and check engine warnings turned on the vehicle display and shortly afterwards the engine stalled. The vehicle stalled in the middle of the road but no accident occurred because there was no other traffic at the time of failure. Attempts to start the engine failed.vehicle had to be pushed to the side of the road. Vehicle was towed to service location to be diagnosed and results were indicative that the fuel pump failed catastrophically rendering the vehicle inoperable. Excessive metal shards were evident on the fuel filter. Vehicle has not yet been repaired pending a response from the manufacturer. Same vehicle stalled in traffic after bought new at approximately 8000 miles on the odometer in 2010 but engine was able to be restarted. Volkswagen dealership service department performed diagnostic for the 1st stalling incident and said there was nothing wrong. No service was performed to check fuel system at that time.

- Upper Darby, PA, USA

Nov 272012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The car abruptly decelerated from 65 to 35 mph on a major interstate as the engine went into 'limp mode'. the sudden deceleration caused swerving and I had to pull over to the curb in order to avoid an accident. The coil/check engine light turned on and car hesitated as it drove. This is the third incident that this car has had with the exhaust problem causing engine to force deceleration and abrupt stopping even stalling. The system this time diagnosed a defective exhaust control module/flap. The previous emissions issue while the car was under warranty involved defective egr valves. Problem seems to show up every 10-15K miles on this diesel model.

- Watertown, MA, USA