2.8

2010 Volkswagen Jetta engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Jetta:

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Dec 152013

Jetta

Driving on highway on 12/15/13 and as I accelerated, I lost power and "check engine light" came on. Car fell to 50mph and I exited highway immediately, stopped the car, re-started and the car and light was still on. Showed error code G450 and the "exhaust pressure sensor 1" was replaced by dealer in January 2014. Glow plug light also came on intermittently at that time. Two months later (February, 2014), "glow plug light" came on again intermittently. Turned off car and started it again and light went out. Dealer says P0237 code means intermittent failure of "boost pressure sensor" and "sensor harness". VW advises the car is not drivable due to unpredictable performance of turbocharger on engine performance due to failure of this sensor. The loss of power has been documented widely for this engine (pump, carbonized intake, other?), but VW has accepted no responsibility for the problem. Car is 4 years old with 48,900 miles. Repairs are approaching $1000 at this time.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Dec 292013

Jetta

Came to a stop at a light and the car was fine at first. Then, all of a sudden the rpms started bouncing around and the car turned off. It wouldn't turn on for about a minute and I was able to drive off. The incident has happened again on at least 3 occasions. Name-brand diesel has always been used, full maintenance has been followed including fuel filter replacement and dsg transmission service.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Feb 162014

Jetta

I was driving down the street when dash lights came on...within minutes I lost power and eventually my car shut down. My hpfp went out and has sent shards of metal throughout the system. Apparently to the grand total of at least $7500 possibly more. I've been reading and see this is an is with the VW tdi motors I drive a 2010 VW Jetta tdi... at this point the fuel system needs flushed and or replaced I'm questioning the condition of the rest of my motor if metal pieces have been flushed through

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Jan 142014

Jetta

While driving my 2010 VW Jetta tdi at 45 mph the glow plug light began to flash with no warning and engine power became dramatically reduced. I was unable to maintain speed on a busy roadway and was forced to make an abrupt exit from the road to avoid causing an accident. Using back roads with low speed limits I was able to reach a Volkswagen dealership. After arriving the vehicle could not be restarted. After 3 days of inspection it was determined that the high pressure fuel pump had failed and the metal shavings from the failed pump contaminated the entire fuel system and clogged it with rust. Even though the vehicle was out of warranty, Volkswagen of America covered the cost of the repair which entailed replacing the entire fuel system. The technician informed me that this was a known problem with the type of high pressure fuel pump installed on my car which is why vwoa was covering the repair even though the vehicle was out of warranty and there was no recall. Given the high potential for injury when this known fault occurs, I do not understand why all vehicles (which include all 2010+ Audi and VW tdi engines) that feature this faulty fuel pump have not been subject to a recall to have the problem repaired.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Jan 092014

Jetta

I was driving on the freeway (at speed) on my way to work when my 2010 Jetta tdi suddenly stalled. I was lucky that the engine did not lock up as I would have been rear ended. However, I continued to coast at speed. I was able to coast over to the shoulder. The car would not start. I contacted a tow truck to tow me into the dealership. The dealership informed me that the inter turbo cooler was damaged due to the cold weather. I was also told that due to the cold weather " they had seen this same occurrence at least 4 times that day alone. Upon further research, it appears that a large number of owners in the us have experienced not being able to start, difficulty starting, and engine failure to due water being drawn into the engine from water condensing in the intercooler. Https://maps.google.com/maps/ms"msid=207335707442566723762.0004B73A15cae256F489F&msa=0&iwloc=a this has caused cars to suddenly die while driving on public roads and highways with the potential of suddenly being hit by fast approaching traffic. It also seems evident that Volkswagen has known about this issue since last winter. There appears to be numerous tech bulletins on the subject.

- New Market , MD, USA

Jan 112014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The car had been parked in the rain for approximately 90 minutes. I started the car and drove slowly through the parking lot. The engine stopped without warning and required that the car be brought to a full stop and the ignition turned off before the car could be started. The car ran fine after being restarted. This is the 6th incident of this kind that I have experienced.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Dec 302013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

2010 Jetta sedan tdi --> fuel leak --> day prior ran normal. Went to start and did not start. Thought was the battery. Charged emergency starter for 4hr and attempted again with no avail. Called a friend who is a diesel mechanic to help start it. Hooked to his truck and still no start. I noticed wet underneath the front passenger wheel and thought nothing of it since it was parked on the street, so water possibly. It started to snow. Went and purchased a new battery. Installed the battery, after battery install still did not start. Attempted 2 more times. Since it was not the battery he began to look elsewhere while I attempted to start and yelled at me to stop. I go to the front of the auto and he shows me where the diesel is pulsating out and that is why it is not starting, it is not getting to the engine. I then look around the car and with the snow, I then notice a long green path of diesel fuel along the road. I called VW, paid the 84$ to tow to VW dealer and they could not look at it until a week later. My concern is the gas leak. I should technically have over 54K on the vehicle, I am not even close to those others for sale on the market. I am not upset since no bodily harm was done, however the leak is in great amount. I do recall a couple of days earlier that I was going through gas quicker. I fill 1X a month, with 4 days I was through a quarter of a tank but it did not click. This is me notifying you of my gas leak. The car never started and there was no fire but there is concern due to the leak. My mechanic friend stated that he had no idea what the part was called that was shooting out the fuel and to take to a authorized VW dealer which I did. I still have 5 days till they can even look at my car.

- Silvis, IL, USA

Nov 242013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Driving at about 40 mph with about 1/4 tank of gas when car started to sputter and run rough. The glow plug indicator light began flashing and I pulled into a nearby parking lot where I shut the car off. I restarted the car and pulled out of the parking lot but car immediately began to run rough and lose power again so I pulled into a gas station lot where the car refused to restart. Called a tow truck and got car towed to autobarn in countryside (where I bought the car). Tried to restart car again at dealership and noticed the fuel gage was reading "empty", meaning fuel had leaked out since the car died. Dealer called me the next day saying my high pressure fuel pump had failed and my entire fuel system from the gas tank on up to the injectors had to be replaced. Was covered under warranty and dealer was very helpful and did the job in four days, during T-giving week, which I was very satisfied with. I always get my diesel at bp amoco's or mobiles and make sure to use heavily trafficked station to have the best chance of getting fresh fuel. I am not comfortable driving the car and have considered trading it in due to VW corporate's seeming indifference to the problem, which is well documented online and there are many many cases similar to mine. Shortly after I bought the car I noticed that all the fuel stations in my area went from 5% biodiesel to 20% biodiesel. I asked the dealer at the time about it because the owners manual states VW will not warranty the car if anything more than 5% biodiesel is used. The dealer said VW would warrant it and a written statement from VW came in the mail shortly thereafter. I can't help but wonder if the higher biodiesel percentage led to the failure.

- Westchester, IL, USA

Oct 042013

Jetta 5-cyl

When making a left hand turn car stalls. Dash panel lights go out and battery warning light flashes and car shuts off. Car has to be completely stopped, ignition turned to the off position and put into park, before it can restart. Very dangerous when driving in high traffic areas. You don't have time to pull over. The car just dies!

- Fresno, CA, USA

Oct 042013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

On Oct. 4, 2013 the high pressure fuel pump failed while I was driving. The glow plug light started to blink, I started to pull over planning to shut the car off and restart it to see if the light went off. Before I got pulled over the engine died and would not restart. It had to be towed to the dealership. It could have been a very dangerous situation had I been driving in high speed traffic on the freeway. The high pressure fuel pump failure sent metal shavings through out the entire fuel system. All pumps, injectors, fuel rails, filters, lines all had to be replaced. The fuel tank had to be cleaned and lines all flushed. Thankfully it was covered by VW 60000 mile powertrain warranty. I have read about a lot of other people who have had this happen. It is very dangerous when your car just dies going down the road and will not restart.

- Saint Croix, IN, USA

Sep 252013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Owned my 2010 VW Jetta sport wagon tdi 6sp man since new. It has always had an interment cough & sputter that would happen at any speed or condition, but was very infrequent an non-repeatable. Now however, starting at around 85,000 miles, the cough and stall has become more frequent, causes the glow plug indicator light to flash and the vehicle loses power (goes into limp mode?). this used to all reset when turning off the key. The last time I brought it to the dealer, parr imports in bremerton wa, at 89,802 miles it had P0322 & P0651 fault codes. They suspected an intermittent crank sensor fault and wanted me to monitor. It has progressively gotten much worse, I have now lost power in heavy traffic and stalled in the parking lot pulling onto the road and have had to switch vehicles when it would not reset leaving the house. I was compelled to buy the torque application for my android phone to view and reset fault codes. I have not reset the ECU faults at least 4 maybe 6 times and now, at around 92,000 miles, it shows 5 codes and won't reset: P0322: Ignition/distributor engine speed input circuit no signal, P2127: Throttle/pedal position sensor/switch E circuit low input, P0193: Fuel rail pressure sensor circuit high input, P0651: Unknown code - more information may be available on the web, P0300: Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected. My internet research suggest the high pressure fuel pump (hpfp) may be an issue with VW blaming it on gasoline contamination, however I have records and receipts confirming I always fuel with diesel from a major distributor.

- Shelton, WA, USA

Jan 092013

Jetta

I have had 3 different bouts with my Jetta stalling seemingly randomly at highway speeds. Each set of incidents resulted in a service trip to the VW dealership for repairs. For the first incident the vehicle was under the 60,000 mile warranty and an expensive repair was covered under warrant. The second series of incidents occurred about 6 months later, after the car was no longer under warranty and the repair - replacement of the cam shaft position sensor. Another series of incidents has just begun and I'm headed to the dealership again. All 3 series of incidents had the same symptoms: 1) the car intermittently stalling unexpectedly during acceleration and 2) slow chugging start occasionally when the car is warmed up.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Aug 202013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The 2010 VW Jetta sportwagen tdi (with dsg automatic transmission) was decelerating on a turning lane from a two lane highway from speeds of 55 mph to 15 mph. There was an audible "click" and the engine stopped and only dash lights were operable. No discernible dash light or error code message was received. The vehicle restarted after the transmission was placed in park, and the ignition key was again turned on. Again no messages or warnings appeared on the dashboard. Note: The seat heater was engaged (driver's side), air conditioning on, turn signal (left) activated, headlights on, bluetooth for phone linked, radio was operating until the shut-down.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Aug 012013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated while driving 25 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the check engine light. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated the fuel system and engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 77,000.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

May 272013

Jetta

While on vacation and backing up in the hotel parking lot, braking, then putting it in drive, the car would stall out; it happened 3 times in one day. Luckily, I was only in a parking lot while it stalled out instead of in traffic, which could have been a big hazard. Went to the dealer, and they didn't know what is wrong.

- Elmira, NY, USA

Jul 082013

Jetta

I stopped at a light after exiting the interstate and the vehicle stalled....I was almost rear ended.

- Parkton, NC, USA

Nov 242010

Jetta

2010 Volkswagen sportwagen tdi. Car suffered dozens of loss of power incidents, several left the car without power at freeway speeds. Repeat visit to dealer did not resolve problem, dealer was aggressive that I was mis-fueling the car with gasoline instead of diesel, which never happened once (I have full receipts for entire vehicle ownership). Latest incident left me without power or effective steering on I-5 bridge between Oregon and Washington, nearly causing an accident. Dealer and VW would not answer any questions, and claimed if they could not reproduce the issue, I was on my own. I suspect the high pressure fuel pump had an internal defect, that didn't lead to complete failure/destruction, but would intermittently throw errors causing the car to stall or lose power.

- Portland, OR, USA

May 302013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Pulled on to highway and vehicle suddenly stalled in middle of intersection. Engine went to idle. No throttle response. After several pedal presses it took off.

- Perry, MI, USA

Apr 052013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Last year, engine light came on even though the car was driving fine. I took it to dealer and said problem was due to defect in exhaust flap. He asked me to pay $770. Luckily, there was recall on the same a month later. Dealer fixed it, but engine light still is on. He told me that one of oxygen sensor is faulty now caused by exhaust flap problem and said it is not covered by recall and asked to pay $550. VW refused to correct the problem. Now, I can't even inspect the car. Present problem is caused by another recalled defective problem.

- Woodbury, NY, USA

Mar 112013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

My wife was driving her 2010 VW Jetta S/w tdi dsg home from work and she noticed that it seemed to be running a little rougher then usual (in December when we had the 40K service done we were told that it needed a fuel filter and that would solve the problem...it did for about a week or so). When she slowed down for traffic the RPM's would fluctuate between 500 rpms and 1400 rpms and nearly stalling at times. Finally when she got off the exit ramp near home, the Jetta stalled and a check engine light came on. Once she was home I found that it was reading code P0263. The Jetta went to dealer on 3/13 and we got it back on 3/22. Unfortunately it stalled out on my wife on 3/23 after a short trip across town while dropping my son off at his friends house. She preceded to come home after dropping him off as the stalling issue occurred while making a turn and she was nearly broadsided by a SUV! had the vehicles collided, it would have been a direct impact to my wife and son's seats! the next morning I took the Jetta out for a drive to see if I could duplicate the problem and boy did I ever. Thankfully the dealer is close by and I was able to get the car there but not without issues. It stalled out on me 4 times in the 1.5 mile trip. I too was nearly hit by an on coming car while making a turn. Not to mention it stalled while trying to merge onto the highway getting to the dealership. During the first visit for the stalling problem, VW had the dealer drain my full tank of diesel as they thought I used bad fuel and this was not the case. Next they reprogrammed the fuel injectors and that did not solve the problem. So VW had the dealer replace a fuel regulator valve and that did not work as well. After two more times of reprogramming the fuel injectors the light apparently went out a so VW of America and the dealer felt it was fixed and safe for us to drive. I think not!

- Allendale, NJ, USA