2.3

2010 Volkswagen Jetta engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Jetta:

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

May 032016

Jetta

Car kept stalling after take off when you accelerated. When taking it to the repair shop it would not start and had to be towed there. When they got it they discovered all but 1 quart of the oil in the engine was gone. They determined that this malfunction damaged the engine and the engine would have to be replaced. Have the oil changed every 3-5000 miles and it wasn't due for an oil change for another 1000 miles or so. They have no idea why this happened and Volkswagen won't do anything about it. All of this took place in the city. We were to afraid to take it out on the highway. Car has 109000 miles on it and has been a lemon from day 1. this was just the icing that topped the cake.

- Shelbina, MO, USA

Mar 252016

Jetta

Attempted to start my car on a cold day with low fuel. The engine was jumpy and didn't start. I waited and attempted again and was able to get it started, drove 500 feet to the gas station, filled with diesel. The light then came on after I started it again. I checked the code, P2015. I took my vehicle to dorschel VW in henrietta, NY. They confirmed the code said the intake manifold needed to be replaced. Saying the flap is damaged and then switching to say the runner is damaged. Most of the tsi engines have had their warranty extended, but not for my tdi. There are lots of others complaining of this code popping up.

- Henrietta, NY, USA

Jan 272016

Jetta

While excelerating from a red light my car went into "limp mode" and lost most of its power. I could not drive faster than 40 mph or 2400 RPM. I contacted VW dealer and they instructed me to drive the vehicle in which was only 8 miles from my house. Enroute to dealership my car lost all power and shut off in the middle of the road. I could not start the vehicle and had to get it towed to the dealership. Upon inspection, it was found that my high pressure fuel pump had failed which caused my turbo to also fail. The fuel in the tank was not contaminated, this was just a failure of the system.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Dec 082015

Jetta

I had been driving my car for one hour. I made a quick stop at my house to pick something up. I pulled back into the street and started to drive down the road when my engine shut down in the middle of the road. I had to push my car to the side of the road. Multiple attempts by myself and a tow truck were unable to restart the car and it had to be towed. After extensive troubleshooting, the dealer determined my engine control module had failed and had shut all power to my fuel injectors. Luckily, I was not traveling very fast at the time nor was there any surrounding traffic. This cost ~$2000 to repair.

- Evans, GA, USA

Jan 142016

Jetta

Car lost acceleration getting on highway from on ramp and then died in the lane of traffic. Speedcraft dealer said the engine hydrolocked and that the recommended fix was an updated intercooler and that this was a known issue. There was a tsb that was issued regarding this issue. Updated 02/05/16

- Warwick, RI, USA

Jul 132014

Jetta

Car in shop for approximately 11 days. Although car out of warranty, fixed with authorization from VW of America as a "warranty" repair at no charge to me. Bad fuel not an issue (tested). Hpfp and all major fuel systems/lines cleaned or replaced. High pressure fuel pump failure.

- Kearny, NJ, USA

Jan 112016

Jetta

P2015 - intake manifold position fault. Intake manifold valve malfunctions and sticks causing a severely rough idle and engine stall. The car was attempted to be started after sitting overnight in a garage. The car successfully turned over, but was in a very rough idle for a few seconds before stalling. Car could not be run continuously at all at this point. This problem began to occur around 80,000 miles, with no initial performance impact, but the part ultimately had to be replaced at 88,000 miles when the incident described above occurred.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 072016

Jetta

Dealership performed 90K mile checkup. Also asked them to determine if cel P0472 was covered by warranty. They confirmed code, and said not covered under any warranty. The also advised the car is showing intermittent code of P0638 for throttle actuator control (bank 1). Written on the estimate by VW dealership is "technician noted that while driving vehicle into the shop, vehicle had no throttle control and would not increase in engine speed. Technician recommends replacing the throttle body and exhaust pressure sender. Technician recommends customer not to drive vehicle --vehicle will at some point stop driving (moving) - it could stop moving at any point, including crossing a intersection". I have not had any issues whatever with my throttle, but due to their documentation, it appears there is a safety issue here deserving of a mandatory safety recall.

- Marlton, NJ, USA

Dec 292015

Jetta 4-cyl

Jetta hpfp. In early 2013 my Jetta tdi had to have the fuel pump replaced due to a defect in the materials. The issue has just happened again, same symptoms. Only this time Volkswagen is claiming the fuel pump failed due to contiminated fuel. My insurance company denies that fact and is pointing the finger at VW for a faulty fuel pump. The repair is upwards of $5000 and Volkswagen is not offering to cover it. My car is now sitting in disassembled state at the dealership while I am paying for a rental car and my insurance company and VW play a ping-pong match of passing the blame.

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 232015

Jetta

Transmission jerking from 1st to 2nd gear set off glow plug/check engine light. Turned off ignition. Warning light reset. Jerking continued in gear 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th.

- Austin, TX, USA

May 062015

Jetta

My car keeps throwing a P0401 code egr insufficient flow. The dealer told me its might be a cracked dpf filter. After looking on VW forums about the problem its going to be around a $3000 fix. Since the car is not a "clean diesel" as advertised the system is getting clogged due to the fact the car computer fake software

- Daniels, WV, USA

Aug 012015

Jetta

Car is throwing P0401 fault code for egr valve insufficient flow. Dealer states the diesel particulate filter is cracked. According to data, VW's emissions scandal shows 40% more pollutants spewing into air. This is causing excess emission part failures. Dealer wants $2500+ for repairs. According to VW forums, there are many cases of egr and dpf failures. Contacted VW and they will not assist. My car is due for smog 10/22/2015 and is not passing.

- Tustin, CA, USA

Aug 112015

Turbo failed on tdi

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Sep 092013

Jetta

At 60,000 miles we noticed a decrease in acceleration and gas mileage in 2010, VW Jetta tdi. The dealer said they fixed the issues, but we only saw a slight improvement in the vehicles performance. In between the 60,000 miles and now 113,000 the car has been diagnosed to have the egr valve, dpf filter, all sensors, . nox and sox burners to be replaced at a total cost of $10,000 dollars. When we purchased the vehicle the dealership said that the dpf filter would only cost us $1000 dollars to replace, try $4000 just for it. We have taken very good care of the care and feel that VW has misrepresented themselves in the vaule of the vehicle and the upfront repairs. The radio, all doors actuators and trans have been repaired on this car. It has been a money pit.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 152015

Jetta

I was driving at freeway speeds and my check engine light came on. I took it into the dealer only to find out that it was the dpf (diesel particulate filter) failed. The filter was plugged with carbon. The dealer admitted to me that this was a known defect and bad engineering that affected models 2006 - 2010. They told me it fails every 100-110K miles and has to be fixed! I told them I would take it elsewhere to get fixed as I wasn't paying that kind of money. They informed me no local shop would touch it. That is not true other than the local shop had to bring it to them for the "software reset". I have since learned it may affect later models but cannot confirm. The dealer wanted $2300 to fix plus tax.

- Snohomish, WA, USA

Aug 062015

Jetta

When traveling on I10 freeway at about 70mph the engine went to half power I tried to get to a dealer ship but before I could the engine quit while on the freeway. This was caused by a defective fuel pump. On my tdi Jetta.

- Alta Loma, CA, USA

Jul 112013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled after the gears were shifted and the check engine light illuminated. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was restarted and driven to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the clutch kit inside the transmission needed to be replaced. The contact stated that the failure was directly related to NHTSA campaign number: 09V333000 (power train). However, the VIN was not included in the recall. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Brandon, MS, USA

Aug 042015

Jetta

I took my 2010 Jetta tdi in to have the ECM reprogrammed per the notice I received from volkswagon that said the egr might not be read properly. The next day my check engine light came on. I called the dealership and today I had them look at it. They are advising me that my diesel particulate filter is cracked and has been for a while and needs to be replaced. The light only came on after the reprogramming. Volkswagon knew about an issue with the ECM and now I am stuck paying almost $2000 to get it fixed. There are a lot of other people having the same issue.

- Smithsburg, MD, USA

Jun 122013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. While at a stop light, an abnormal noise could be heard coming from the engine without warning. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated prior to the engine failure. The vehicle had to be towed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was confirmed that the engine was defective. The high pressure fuel pump relay needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 10,000.

- Sterling Heights , MI, USA

Jun 112015

Jetta

Incident occurred when approaching an intersection. Engine died as if the car ran out of fuel. Tried to restart the car but the car would not turnover. It would only crank. Acted like it ran out of fuel but there was half a tank of fuel.

- Pacific, MO, USA