2010 Volkswagen Jetta fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Volkswagen Jetta:

2010 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

May 312014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

My 2010 Jetta sportswagen tdi diesel stalled while moving from a driveway onto a residential street. There was no warning of imminent disablement except for a 5 seconds of engine "sputter". the weather was warm and dry, and the battery had just been replaced. The vehicle was trucked to the VW dealership in cerritos ca. The service manager seemed to sense the nature of the problem, and the car was inspected by a vwoa representative on the following business day. Metal contamination was found in the fuel system. The fuel system was replaced, including the fuel pump, after one extra day of waiting for the delivery of the necessary parts. Although the vehicle was out of warranty, vwoa approved the repair at their expense. I feel that this type of abrupt engine failure is a serious safety issue that could have caused a crash if it occurred on a more heavily traveled roadway.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

May 202014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I was driving down the road when I accelerated hard and I predndio light of "glow plug" on the panel, the car lost power and was limited to spend two thousand RPM's coming home that was close. I did nothing that night, I followed turning on the light in the panel. The next day I turn it normal, I turned on the light... then it caught me way to work again and I return to my home, I turned on and off and it caught and never turn off. Take it to the VW service center and was told that the pump has fault injection and particulate throughout the fuel system. Tell me that the repair will cost more than 4000 dollars... and the worst is that no warranty.

- Arecibo, PR, USA

May 122014

Jetta

I had what appears to be a fuel system failure. I was turning left after stopping at a red light. I was traveling at @20 mph. 100 yards down the block, the engine lost power, the check engine light came on, as did the diesel coil icon. The car was dead instantly. There was no warning, no gradual failure, no time to get out of the street. Please note, I had my vehicle regularly serviced at the VW dealership, including installing the fuel intake coupling that was the subject of a recall about a year ago. The service manager said there was some bad diesel going around in the county where I live, but when pressed admitted the bad fuel had not been traced to any particular brand, but had appeared randomly. He did say that my entire fuel system would be replaced on VW's dime, even though I am long out of warranty, and that it could take 2 days to a week to perform the service. There is nothing on VW's website about this problem, nor are there reports of bad diesel fuel in the county. The blogosphere has reports of problems in the design of the high pressure fuel pump that causes it to break down and shed bits of metal throughout the fuel system. I am very lucky that this happened at 20 mph on a town street in the middle of the morning and not at 65 mph on a highway with lots of traffic. I am glad VW is covering the cost of repairs. But I have personally recommended this otherwise terrific car to many people, some of whom have chosen to buy it. I am now worried that someone might get dead because of this, especially since VW is evidently only correcting this design problem after an entire system failure. I am also unable to confirm that VW engineers have redesigned the fuel pump that they are in theory installing in my car as a repair. Do you have any information?

- Santa Paula, CA, USA

Dec 152013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Driving on highway on 12/15/13 and as I accelerated, I lost power and "check engine light" came on. Car fell to 50mph and I exited highway immediately, stopped the car, re-started and the car and light was still on. Showed error code G450 and the "exhaust pressure sensor 1" was replaced by dealer in January 2014. Glow plug light also came on intermittently at that time. Two months later (February, 2014), "glow plug light" came on again intermittently. Turned off car and started it again and light went out. Dealer says P0237 code means intermittent failure of "boost pressure sensor" and "sensor harness". VW advises the car is not drivable due to unpredictable performance of turbocharger on engine performance due to failure of this sensor. The loss of power has been documented widely for this engine (pump, carbonized intake, other?), but VW has accepted no responsibility for the problem. Car is 4 years old with 48,900 miles. Repairs are approaching $1000 at this time.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Dec 292013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Came to a stop at a light and the car was fine at first. Then, all of a sudden the rpms started bouncing around and the car turned off. It wouldn't turn on for about a minute and I was able to drive off. The incident has happened again on at least 3 occasions. Name-brand diesel has always been used, full maintenance has been followed including fuel filter replacement and dsg transmission service.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Feb 052014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

After driving for 5 minutes and with no warning whatsoever the glow plug light started flashing and the check engine light came on. I lost 80% of my power. Drove it for 5 more minutes and it stopped and would not start. Towed it to the dealer who turned the ignition on and after hearing my description of the failure said it is most likely a fuel delivery system problem. He seemed to know what was wrong and said that if the hpfp failed I probably had metal throughout the system which would be a major repair job.

- San Marcos, CA, USA

Feb 082014

Jetta

2010 Jetta sportwagen tdi. Failed to start. Dealership indicated problem with fuel system. Tested diesel fuel no issues. Suggest replacement of fuel retention valve, but uncertain if this will solve problem. May relate to NHTSA action number : EA11003.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jan 092014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I was driving on the freeway (at speed) on my way to work when my 2010 Jetta tdi suddenly stalled. I was lucky that the engine did not lock up as I would have been rear ended. However, I continued to coast at speed. I was able to coast over to the shoulder. The car would not start. I contacted a tow truck to tow me into the dealership. The dealership informed me that the inter turbo cooler was damaged due to the cold weather. I was also told that due to the cold weather " they had seen this same occurrence at least 4 times that day alone. Upon further research, it appears that a large number of owners in the us have experienced not being able to start, difficulty starting, and engine failure to due water being drawn into the engine from water condensing in the intercooler. Https://maps.google.com/maps/ms"msid=207335707442566723762.0004B73A15cae256F489F&msa=0&iwloc=a this has caused cars to suddenly die while driving on public roads and highways with the potential of suddenly being hit by fast approaching traffic. It also seems evident that Volkswagen has known about this issue since last winter. There appears to be numerous tech bulletins on the subject.

- New Market , MD, USA

Jan 022014

Jetta

Car broke down on highway. Towed to dealer and we were told there were metal shavings throughout fuel system and that it would cost $6000 to repair. We noticed that NHTSA has an open investigation (EA11003) for this exact problem. Link: www-ODI.NHTSA.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/defectsummary2.cfm?inv_id=20944&type=vehicle&typenum=1&cmpt_id=158&prod_id=728769&make=Volkswagen&model=Jetta%20sportwagen&model_yr=2010 thank you.

- Wrentham, MA, USA

Dec 302013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

2010 Jetta sedan tdi --> fuel leak --> day prior ran normal. Went to start and did not start. Thought was the battery. Charged emergency starter for 4hr and attempted again with no avail. Called a friend who is a diesel mechanic to help start it. Hooked to his truck and still no start. I noticed wet underneath the front passenger wheel and thought nothing of it since it was parked on the street, so water possibly. It started to snow. Went and purchased a new battery. Installed the battery, after battery install still did not start. Attempted 2 more times. Since it was not the battery he began to look elsewhere while I attempted to start and yelled at me to stop. I go to the front of the auto and he shows me where the diesel is pulsating out and that is why it is not starting, it is not getting to the engine. I then look around the car and with the snow, I then notice a long green path of diesel fuel along the road. I called VW, paid the 84$ to tow to VW dealer and they could not look at it until a week later. My concern is the gas leak. I should technically have over 54K on the vehicle, I am not even close to those others for sale on the market. I am not upset since no bodily harm was done, however the leak is in great amount. I do recall a couple of days earlier that I was going through gas quicker. I fill 1X a month, with 4 days I was through a quarter of a tank but it did not click. This is me notifying you of my gas leak. The car never started and there was no fire but there is concern due to the leak. My mechanic friend stated that he had no idea what the part was called that was shooting out the fuel and to take to a authorized VW dealer which I did. I still have 5 days till they can even look at my car.

- Silvis, IL, USA

Nov 242013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Driving at about 40 mph with about 1/4 tank of gas when car started to sputter and run rough. The glow plug indicator light began flashing and I pulled into a nearby parking lot where I shut the car off. I restarted the car and pulled out of the parking lot but car immediately began to run rough and lose power again so I pulled into a gas station lot where the car refused to restart. Called a tow truck and got car towed to autobarn in countryside (where I bought the car). Tried to restart car again at dealership and noticed the fuel gage was reading "empty", meaning fuel had leaked out since the car died. Dealer called me the next day saying my high pressure fuel pump had failed and my entire fuel system from the gas tank on up to the injectors had to be replaced. Was covered under warranty and dealer was very helpful and did the job in four days, during T-giving week, which I was very satisfied with. I always get my diesel at bp amoco's or mobiles and make sure to use heavily trafficked station to have the best chance of getting fresh fuel. I am not comfortable driving the car and have considered trading it in due to VW corporate's seeming indifference to the problem, which is well documented online and there are many many cases similar to mine. Shortly after I bought the car I noticed that all the fuel stations in my area went from 5% biodiesel to 20% biodiesel. I asked the dealer at the time about it because the owners manual states VW will not warranty the car if anything more than 5% biodiesel is used. The dealer said VW would warrant it and a written statement from VW came in the mail shortly thereafter. I can't help but wonder if the higher biodiesel percentage led to the failure.

- Westchester, IL, USA

Dec 142013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Vehicle: 2010 VW Jetta tdi (diesel) entered highway and accelerated up to approx 40 mph then vehicle started to stall. A loud rattling noise was heard then "check engine light" came on. We immediately pulled over to shoulder and turned engine off. (engine did not stall out/off by itself, we turned engine off after pulling over) attempts to re-start engine failed. Starter would turn engine over but it would not start up. Subsequently we used a diagnostic code tool which indicated that there was a problem with fuel pressure. We had 1/2 tank of diesel so we did not run out of fuel. Battery was strong enough to turn over engine and all electrical systems still worked. We believe this maybe an issue with the fuel pump failing.

- San Clemente, CA, USA

Dec 122013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I drive a 2010 VW Jetta sportwagen tdi and two days ago, while driving ~75 mph, the vehicle suddenly lost power. I was on a highway and this put my life in great danger. Fortunately, I was able to get the car safely to service. They said I had used bad diesel. They flushed the fuel and changed the fuel filter and charged me $700. The next day, the same thing happened on the highway. I lost power and again my life was in great danger. Twice, my VW let me down...nearly gravely! sadly, the drama continues. The car is now at a new repair shop. Neither repair shop know what the problem is. But from a simple internet search, I have found the problem: This is a recurring problem with this model. This is very clearly related to NHTSA campaign id number: EA11003.

- Redwood City, CA, USA

Dec 052013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Upon starting the vehicle today (December 5, 2013), at +15 deg F (morning low was -22 F), the glow plug light began blinking and a warning bell rang, signifying "check engine". the engine started immediately and continued to run but had no power above 2,000 RPM. This is the second (apparent) high pressure fuel pump failure on this vehicle, the first occurring on August 20, 2013 at ~55,000 miles, at highway speed, with the same loss of power symptom and "check engine" indication. That incident was luckily within ten miles of the dealership and I was able to drive the car to the dealer. The dealer determined that the fuel was not contaminated and that the fuel pump had failed and then replaced it under the original power train warranty. Prior to that first failure the car was experiencing slight 'missing' during acceleration or steady speed in the 2100-2500 RPM band. The same missing was occurring soon after the fuel pump replacement, prior to the current failure. I am the only person that has ever fueled the vehicle and there is 0% chance that the fuel currently (or ever) in the vehicle contained any gasoline or biodiesel, unless a gas station was selling contaminated fuel. The dealer also installed the preventive filler receptacle that does not allow a gas hose nozzle soon after the first fuel pump was replaced, during a normal oil change servicing. As of this writing, on the afternoon of December 5, 2013, the dealer's service agent has requested that I drive approximately 220 miles over a high mountain pass, to deliver the car for diagnosis and repair.

- Silverton, CO, USA

Nov 272013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Car lost power but did not die completely. Limped to dealer and was initially told there was water in the diesel fuel, three days later it was called just 'contamination' (not further identified) that necessitated a completed fuel system replacement. Total cost $6300 - $8500 depending on whether the fuel tank needs to be replaced. Dealer confirmed that fuel pump failure could also cause fuel system contamination and since the fuel pump is considered part of the drive train (warranty - wise) it is covered for 50,000 miles.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Nov 112013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

At highway speed, 55 mph, there was a loud clunk and the engine shut off. I coasted to the shoulder and could not get the car to restart. I was towed to the dealer and was told the following: Injectors 3 & 4 were malfunctioning and needed to be replaced. History: 1 month ago the glow plug warning light began to come on intermittently. I took the car to the dealer for service, they read the codes and switched the #2 & #3 glow plugs to decide if it was the harness or the glow plugs themselves. After a few more weeks the light was on continuously and my wife had the car go clunk and die on the freeway. She got it to restart after a few minutes and we headed directly to the dealership for the replacement glow plugs. The dealer replaced all 4 glow plugs. Yesterday, the clunk happened again and we are now back at the dealer deciding what to do. The dealer says replace all 4 injectors and that should fix the problem. I say how do we check the high pressure fuel pump as that is likely the real problem.

- Hood River, OR, USA

Oct 252010

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 80 mph, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was found that the fuel pumps had failed. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was not available. The VIN was unavailable...updated 12-05-13

- Channahon, IL, USA

Oct 042013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

On Oct. 4, 2013 the high pressure fuel pump failed while I was driving. The glow plug light started to blink, I started to pull over planning to shut the car off and restart it to see if the light went off. Before I got pulled over the engine died and would not restart. It had to be towed to the dealership. It could have been a very dangerous situation had I been driving in high speed traffic on the freeway. The high pressure fuel pump failure sent metal shavings through out the entire fuel system. All pumps, injectors, fuel rails, filters, lines all had to be replaced. The fuel tank had to be cleaned and lines all flushed. Thankfully it was covered by VW 60000 mile powertrain warranty. I have read about a lot of other people who have had this happen. It is very dangerous when your car just dies going down the road and will not restart.

- Saint Croix, IN, USA

Oct 022013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

While I was driving, I heard a loud whining sound coming from the engine compartment. The sound was directly related to my depressing the accelerator. I pulled over and was unable to see a problem with belt or oil level. I resumed driving to recreate the sound and noticed the vehicle was sluggish and unresponsive in terms of acceleration. While I was traveling at approximately 65-70 miles per hour, the vehicle jerked and seemed to lose power. I was in heavy traffic at the time in the number one lane and noticed that the engine had completely stalled. Multiple vehicles had to make evasive maneuvers as I drove to the closest shoulder of the road. I was unable to start the vehicle again once I pulled to the side of the road. This is major issue in the design of the high pressure fuel pump and poses a safety risk to those driving gut vehicles at speed.

- Sherwood Forest, CA, USA

Sep 252013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Owned my 2010 VW Jetta sport wagon tdi 6sp man since new. It has always had an interment cough & sputter that would happen at any speed or condition, but was very infrequent an non-repeatable. Now however, starting at around 85,000 miles, the cough and stall has become more frequent, causes the glow plug indicator light to flash and the vehicle loses power (goes into limp mode?). this used to all reset when turning off the key. The last time I brought it to the dealer, parr imports in bremerton wa, at 89,802 miles it had P0322 & P0651 fault codes. They suspected an intermittent crank sensor fault and wanted me to monitor. It has progressively gotten much worse, I have now lost power in heavy traffic and stalled in the parking lot pulling onto the road and have had to switch vehicles when it would not reset leaving the house. I was compelled to buy the torque application for my android phone to view and reset fault codes. I have not reset the ECU faults at least 4 maybe 6 times and now, at around 92,000 miles, it shows 5 codes and won't reset: P0322: Ignition/distributor engine speed input circuit no signal, P2127: Throttle/pedal position sensor/switch E circuit low input, P0193: Fuel rail pressure sensor circuit high input, P0651: Unknown code - more information may be available on the web, P0300: Random/multiple cylinder misfire detected. My internet research suggest the high pressure fuel pump (hpfp) may be an issue with VW blaming it on gasoline contamination, however I have records and receipts confirming I always fuel with diesel from a major distributor.

- Shelton, WA, USA