CarComplaints.com Notes: Digging through the long list of NHTSA complaints about a sudden loss of engine power and the high pressure fuel pump failing, it's never good to come across the "my car (with a cold engine) set itself on fire in the middle of the night" complaint.

3.9

2011 Volkswagen Jetta brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Volkswagen Jetta:

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Feb 042016

Jetta 5-cyl

Fuse box with blown fuses. Unable to replace fuses without diagram. VW dealer states I need to bring car in and pay for diagnostic test which totals over $100 that I cannot afford. I am able to change fuses myself that are blown but need to know what the fuse is for and this is what VW dealer told me I have to do, get test from VW dealer or pay for a diagram. I feel this is wrong, as long as I have been driving, all fuse boxes will have a diagram of fuses so individual can change fuse themselves. How can I resolve this issue for diagram without costing me over $100. I will await your reply. Noticed my cigarette lighter and phone charge was not working. Did not notice when car was purchased. Changed a 20 amp fuse that was blown, that took care of cigarette lighter and charger, but now my horn does not work. That is why I am asking on advise on how to resolve situation. Thank you

- Carson, CA, USA

Jan 042016

Jetta

Im experiencing a lot of problems with my car. First of all the lights don't always work they would turn on and off on their own until finally stopped completely. The next problem it has waiting at a stop light it looses power and shakes and stalls. Then I started experiencing the same problem while driving one time I was pulling into my driveway the car cut off and steering wheel locked thankful I was not on the freeway at the time. Then again on the freeway in rush hour traffic I was lucky enough to get over and pull off before it stalled the car putting and I was giving gas but car did not want to go it was not gaining speed it was on the verge of stalling. This is a safety issue its my only vehicle I'm afraid of it cutting off and stalling while driving and a accident occurring. The car stalling is while driving and with foot on the brake or in park. It also has a problem while in park and foot on brake the cars RPM rave on their own.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jan 032011

Jetta

My VW has had problems since a week after I bought it. While going 1500 RPM's around 15-25 mph my car chugs and stalls. I have brought it to VW 4 times, and a personal mechanic. Each time VW said there was a either a computer issue and that they have fixed it or said there was no issue. They completely reset my cars computer back to factory settings due to them saying that my car learned my driving style. This didn't help. Years later I am still having this problem. I have almost gotten in a few car accidents because of the stalling/chugging problem. I have an infant and can't have my family car causing such problems.

- Salinas , CA, USA

Jan 052014

Jetta 4-cyl

While driving the 2011 VW Jetta on 1/5/14 during rain showers I switched the wipers on (which I had previously used aprox 5 mins before) & nothing happened, then I realized that the turn signals were also not working including the hazard flashers.. upon reaching my home at reduced speeds in order to safely make it home I attempted to make the needed repair to resolve the issue, thinking the issue was a blown fuse, but after further investigation no blown fuses are present & at the current time VW service dept. Denies that any part of the electrical system is faulty & although the problem is still currently not fixed. Along with other electrical functions such as the power windows & door locks not functioning due to this electrical malfunction the vehicle will not crank & start using the ignition switch. I feel this problem is a safety issue that VW needs to address & offer a recall before such a malfunction results in a fatal incident due to not being able to clearly see the roadway during rainy conditions.

- Glencoe, AL, USA

Mar 122011

Jetta 5-cyl

Palisades VW in NY striped my car of all original part and they are telling me that the car comes with old winter tires. I have tried to resolve this with them and they laughed in my face and told me to go and talk to the people that sold me car. My nephew changed my tire he said that I still am going to need a new one because he thought I a donut but I told him I have a full tire that it was not a donut and when he was done he told it wasn't. it was a full tire but again I figured maybe I was did not pay attention or I really did not see a full tire. When I got a flat on October 7th I did not want to bring my car back to palisade VW because they did not do a good job so I went back to where I got my car and they called and asked if I had my tires changed because the tires are not the one the car came with. I have never changed my tires and I did notice that they where different from when I got the car. Not only that but palisade mechanic stole my gas had a full tank both times and I got my car back with less then A1/4. please please I am begging for help I am a waitress I do not have the money for this I can't even afford to get apt please help me I am begging you. I need this car to be safe because I live with my niece and I baby sit her kid in exchange for room and board. These people saw the car seat and did not care if I crashed my car and killed the baby or any one else for that matter. Again I am begging for your help.

- New City, NY, USA

May 302011

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

While on an out of state road trip. We stopped at a fuel station and smelled a really strong diesel smell. Thinking there was just diesel spill at the fuel station we continued on our way on the interstate. Approx. 30 miles later down the interstate our glow plug light started to blink, which indicated a problem with the engine. We went to the nearest exit and stopped the car. When we got out the diesel smell was even stronger. Smoke was coming from the hood and diesel was heavily dripping from the whole underside of the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealership in Oregon. The dealership told me it was a #2 fuel injector leak and that Volkswagen wants them (the dealership in Oregon) remove the entire engine and send it to germany for examination on a test stand. Three weeks after the car was towed to the Oregon dealership they called me and informed me I could come get it. I drove back to Oregon to get the car and it still smelled extremely strong of diesel and the exterior was still covered in the diesel that leaked from the engine. I asked the service department to change the fiber engine cover. They told me there was no reason to do that and would have to get that approved. I drove the car back home to California and then called Volkswagen of America to get my car fixed right. They had me bring it to the dealership I bought it from in roseville, ca. Roseville Volkswagen service worker identified the car have a strong diesel smell just walking near the car. They wrote on the service ticket that they found the fiber engine cover "soaked with diesel fuel. Roseville Volkswagen had the car for nine more days to clean and detail the inside and outside of the car.

- Yuba City, CA, USA

Jan 292011

Jetta

New car manual transmission, car stalls out at low speeds on snow covered roads. RPM's 1400 - 2000 can stop problem if traction control is disabled. I have driven manuals for over 30 years and it is not operator error it is a problem with the traction control and computer system - it dies in traffic and requires the key to be turned all the way off and then back on to get the car started. Taking the RPM's up to 2500 avoids the problem - but this will certainly wear out the clutch. Dealer feels it is just a sensitive clutch - I now have 600 miles on the car and have to disable traction control to stop the stalling at start ups and low speed shifting.

- Stoneham, MA, USA