Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Digging through the long list of NHTSA complaints about a sudden loss of engine power and the high pressure fuel pump failing, it's never good to come across the "my car (with a cold engine) set itself on fire in the middle of the night" complaint.

2011 Volkswagen Jetta brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Volkswagen Jetta:

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Jul 062015

The contact owns a 2011 Volkswagen Jetta. While attempting to accelerate at 35 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed to the floorboard and the vehicle failed to respond effectively. The wrench and check engine lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The brakes failed to completely stop the vehicle on two separate occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure could not be determined. The dealer reset the electrical system, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was approximately 92,629.

- Atco, NJ, USA

Mar 122014

I purchased the Jetta used from carmax in nashville, tn in 2014. It began having safety issues on March 2014. Randomly, my car will just stop while driving down the road, or after accelerating from a stopped position when moving on from a stop sign or stop light. I can be driving anywhere from 15 mph to 50 mph, and all systems shut down. The battery light goes on, the steering locks, and the brakes lock. I always panic, put the car in neutral and have luckily managed to veer off to the side of a road and stop, shut the car off, and turn it back on again. Eurofix tried to manage the problem by replacing the crank sensor and cam shaft. But he problem came back, much worse. The second problem is now I cannot unlock my drivers side door with my magnetic key or by sticking the actual key in the lock. I see that another recall has been announced for the 2011 Jetta that is not pulling up via my VIN number, but I believe it might be my car's issue: Online, ate that in March 29, 2011 (published by NHTSA) in which an issue with "an electrical wiring and fuse layout where the converter box is protected by the same fuse used by the signal horn and the anti-they alarm system. Should that fuse be blown, , the converter will be disconnected from the power supply which in turn will shut off applications such as the engine management system, lighting system, and wipers"......"should this happen while the vehicle is being driven, the engine could stall or the headlights or wipers could turn off unexpectedly, potentially leading to a crash without warning." Please help me!!!!!!! what do I do. What will remedy this situation so I don't get killed or kill others. I't gonna happen....then my family will file a lawsuit. I need guidance and for this car to be fixed/traded out.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jun 182015

The contact owns a 2011 Volkswagen Jetta. While exiting the highway at 20 mph, the vehicle struck a pothole and the front driver side brake assembly failed. The brake caliper was rubbing against the wheel and locked. The contact was able to repair the vehicle, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,000. The VIN was not available.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Aug 052014

Jetta 5-cyl

While driving, I smelled a burning smell from outside the car. Had the same occurrence on 3 different occasions on a previous vehicle which turned out to be sticking calipers, so immediately I checked the brakes. What I found was the smell was coming from the rear driver side and the rim was very hot.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jun 142014

Jetta 5-cyl

Car would not accelerate properly, requiring the pedal to be completely depressed to achieve any acceleration even to low speeds. At this point, a brake warning light appeared for the first time. Vehicle was brought to dealer, jim ellis VW in the atlanta area who tested the model and determined the ABS module had failed. After replacing the ABS module the brakes locked during a test drive by the service staff. Subsequently the brake booster and brake master cylinder were replaced. Owner believes that this early failure of so many components on a newer, very low mileage vehicle likely represents manufacturing defect and could have resulted in serious injury.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 222013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Was driving and heard a clicking sound, shortly after my steering and brakes locked up, and then the entire car stalled. I was unable to restart the engine. Had car towed into the VW dealership where they told me my fuel (diesel for Jetta tdi) was contaminated causing the fuel pump to burst which lead to metal shards destroying the entire fuel system. However, I am 100% positive, and have receipts for proof, that the car had been filled up with diesel gas about 1 week prior to the incident and was running completely smoothly up until the sudden break down.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Sep 112012

Brake light started to flash every once in a while. Brought my car into the dealer and the master cylinder was leaking into the vacuum chamber. No leaks on the ground as the leak was contained in the vacuum chamber - I was slowly running out of brake fluid. The dealer found the sealing surface of the master cylinder was not smooth - they figured it was leaking from new. Shop replaced master cylinder and vacuum chamber under warranty.

- Pulaski, WI, USA