2012 Volkswagen Jetta accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Volkswagen Jetta:

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Dec 242015

When the weather is cold (below freezing), while driving, after sitting outside overnight, or in snowy conditions, the windshield wipers freeze and do not work until the weather warms up, or the vehicle is parked in a garage. I live in the mountains of Colorado and this has been an ongoing issue during cold and snowy weather. This is a safety hazard as the roadway is no longer visible because the windshield wipers no longer work.

- Silverthorne, CO, USA

Jan 062016

Purchased certified preowned in May. 2nd time when it is cold out that wipers will not turn on. The 1st time this happened in October, it took over 5 minutes of driving the car with defroster on high for them to start working I called dealer and was told that it had been cold that morning and the wipers were probably frozen to the window, even after I told them I had let the car warm up for 10 minutes. The 2nd time was this morning, I let the car warm up for 15 minutes since it was about 5 degrees out and even after driving the car for 1 hour, the wipers still would not turn on. I called the dealer, made an appt to bring in that day and the wipers started working around noontime. When I went to the dealer, I was told that they would look at it, however, if they couldn't find anything and there was a good chance that they wouldn't since it did not make sense that they would just start working that there would be a charge of $105 per hour if it turned out to be not covered under the warranty. I have found several complaints regarding this same issue on line, I think it is time for a recall.

- Woodstock, NY, USA

Jan 152015

Jetta 4-cyl

When the temperature is cold, the windshield wipers on our 2012 VW Jetta refuse to activate causing a serious safety concern, especially when we're driving and the temperature drops. When the temperature warms back up, the wipers start working again. I've contacted VW of America and despite the # of complaints about this issue, they refuse to help me out.

- Luther, OK, USA

Dec 052013

Jetta 5-cyl

While driving home after a snowstorm, my wipers suddenly stopped working. Because of it, I could not clean my windshield and had to keep pulling over and pouring windshield washer fluid down my front window so that I could see. It is very dangerous in Maine in the winter time to have this happen as we often encounter wet/snowy roads and you must depend on your windshield wipers and fluid system to work properly and keep your windshield clear. I took my car into the VW dealer (O connors in augusta Maine).. they determined there was no power coming out of the wiper switch to the pump. First they replaced the wiper/washer switch which did not fix the problem. Then they had it for another full day and determined the "body control module" was not working. They had to order the part. It cost $1041 dollars to replace the module, part # 5co-937-087-E-Z09 control unit. When I finally picked it up I was told that 5 other VW owners had their cars in for the same exact problem that week. One owner was standing there in the customer service area and he told me the same thing happened to his 2013 Jetta. The shop rep said they were seeing a lot of these since the cold weather set in. My car is in excellent condition and was only 20 months old when this happened. There has got to be a major defect for this many new cars to have this happen to them. I wish you would investigate.

- South Portland, ME, USA

Dec 262013

Wiper blades stopped working. I brought the car to the dealership and was told they were frozen. I didn't believe it but I took the car home and waited it out but it kept happening. The day before new years eve they completely went out and had to find another way home since it was sleeting out. I got the car back to the dealership and complained to the manager they checked it out and told me that the switch needed replacing they got the part in and replaced it. The next day they stopped working again. This is a year old car, completely ridiculous.

- Countryside, IL, USA

Nov 302013

Wiper blades stop working as the linkages freeze up in freezing cold wet weather when there is no excessive visible ice at the base of the wiper arm. The only solution so far has been to bring the car into a heated shop to un-freeze the wipers. Happens every time it rains, then get a hard freeze.

- Northampton, MA, USA

Jun 262013

I was driving North on interstate highway 55 in memphis, Tennessee, (around 9:15am ct on June 26, 2013) towards riverside drive (downtown memphis) when all of the sudden I heard a loud boom/crash sound on the roof of my Volkswagen Jetta (2012, which I owned for 1 week!) and glass shattered and fell all over me and the inside of my car. I was not under an overpass or behind any trucks or cars, so I was completely terrified and did not know what happened. I was crying and shaking and pulled off the highway to S parkway and called 911 to file a report. After speaking with the police, a nearby witness (who happened to work for a car dealer) my boss and my boyfriend, everyone agreed the sunroof had some sort of defect that caused it to shatter/combust/explode. The glass was all sticking straight up and there was no sign of an object in or on the car. My bf brought the car to the VW dealership and they are inspecting it and repairing it while I am in a rental car. I am scared to drive in a car with a sunroof now and do not feel safe. VW drivers beware.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Dec 112012

The contact owns a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that the front windshield cracked without warrant. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the technician explained that the failure was the result of a rock striking the glass. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since they would need a dealer to verify the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 12,000.

- Long Beach, CA, USA