2012 Volkswagen Jetta electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Volkswagen Jetta:

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 012014

Jetta

On several occasions the ignition will not turn off. The key is stuck in the on position and can not be removed. On one occasion it took over 7 minutes to remove the key. This may not seem like a long time, but sit in your car after parking then time 7 minutes and you'll see how frustrating this is!

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Jul 102015

Jetta

Ignition lock/switch stuck in "on" position. Unable to turn off engine or remove key. Safety and security risk being unable to secure vehicle or turn off engine.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Jul 102015

Jetta

The contact owns a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact's key became stuck in the ignition switch while in the run position. The dealer was able to shut off the engine only by disconnecting four of the five fuel injectors. The dealer stated that they would need to destroy the trim and remove and replace the ignition lock and switch assembly. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 72,000.

- Sarasota , FL, USA

Jun 262015

Jetta

The vehicle was being backed out of a driveway into the roadway when the horn began to sound continuously and the airbag warning light illuminated. The vehicle needed to be turned off completely to stop the horn. Subsequently, the horn sounds whenever the ignition is engaged sometimes stopping once the engine turns on, sometimes not. Once started the vehicle is driveable but the airbag warning light is illuminated, the horn on the steering wheel is inoperable and the steering wheel controls are inoperable. The vehicle was taken to a Volkswagen dealership and diagnosed with a faulty clock spring that requires replacement. The incident appears to be similar to that described in NHTSA investigation PE 15-010.

- Saxtons River, VT, USA

May 042015

Jetta 4-cyl

2012 Volkswagen Jetta. Consumer writes in regards to key stuck in the ignition. The consumer stated the vehicle could not be turned off. A mechanic un-plugged a wire. The vehicle had to be towed to the dealer.

- Carle Place, NY, USA

May 062013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta. While at a complete stop on an incline, the brake pedal was depressed and there was a two second delayed response. The vehicle was equipped with an electronic hill start assistance feature. The failure recurred numerous times. On a separate occasion, the unoccupied vehicle was parked on a slight incline and the vehicle rolled with the emergency brake engaged. The vehicle crashed into a tree. Failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the vehicle operated as designed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 9,000.

- Lawerence , KS, USA

Apr 142015

Jetta

Cannot shut engine off. Cannot remove ignition key.

- Wrightwood, CA, USA

Nov 012014

Jetta

For this year of Jetta the doors lock around 10 miles an hour. Mine does not lock. The doors will keep attempting to lock with no success. If you go on a long trip and slow down to the 10 mph range they will try to lock again. The door also does not lock when you push button. You must keep pressing it until it finally locks.

- Seneca, KS, USA

Dec 212014

Jetta

Upon returning home on Sunday 12/21 at 3 pm, smoke was coming from our garage. We opened the garage door to discovery my car on fire and a garage full of smoke. We called 911 and requested fire assistance. We then proceeded to extinguish the fire using 5 commercial size fire extinguishers. The fire department arrived and extinguished the flames and dragged the car from the garage. The car had not been driven for approximately 18 hours.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Nov 192014

Jetta

The horn on this vehicle becomes unresponsive at times. When it does work, the horn tone is very low and is difficult to hear. This could be a safety issue. It also concerns me since an operational horn is needed to pass the state safety inspection. I have not taken it to the dealership yet for repair, but a quick internet search, I have confirmed this is far too common problem on newer model Jetta's.

- Bedford, VA, USA

Oct 212014

Jetta

I took my Jetta to get an oil change and the mechanic went to move my car in the bay and could not get it turned off. I had to have it moved to a Volkswagen dealer to what I thought was a faulty ignition and Volkswagen said a bad steering lock.

- West Linn, OR, USA

Aug 162014

Jetta

I purchased a 2012 Volkswagen in August 9, 2012. One week later after purchase, the car stopped in the middle of driving with no warning. I called hertz car sales where I purchased the car and to no avail the problem did not get resolved. I then noticed that the horn works at time and then doesn't work. I really shouldn't have to explain what a safety hazard the car can be if you can't alert another driver with your horn. I then did some research and found out that Volkswagen did a recall for the 2011 model but did not include the 2012 model which is obvious that the same problem exist. I called Volkswagen and found out that my car was manufactured 2/2012. If the same part was used in my car which is showing the exact same malfunctioned parts that were recalled in 2011. It is more than likely that the earlier 2012 models had the same problem as the 2011 problem. I used this car to get myself and my son back and forth to dr.'s appointments, school and other daily errands. I consider the car to be a hazard with the horn malfunctioning and the car stopping I the middle of driving.

- Belleville, IL, USA

Sep 182014

Jetta

While pulling into intersection, ignition quit. Tow truck driver restarted vehicle. Dealer found fault with electronic ignition. Replaced ignition switch.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 152014

Jetta

I own a 2012, Jetta, tdi. The dealer had to change the horn. The dealership advised me that they change so many of these defective horns that they stock them. As a law enforcement officer I feel this is a safety issue. It makes me wonder now if there other life-threatening problems with the vehicle they haven't bothered to fix. I see countless VW's with taillights out as I patrol. I can't believe VW is putting their customers in danger with a known common problems.

- Horseheads, NY, USA

Dec 312013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to successfully move the vehicle off the highway by shifting into neutral. The dealer was unable to duplicate or diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 10,000.

- Houston , TX, USA

May 302013

Jetta

Car ignition will not turn off. Was told by a dealership that it was the steering column lock and sheer bolts would need to be replaced.

- Weatherford, TX, USA

Aug 012014

Jetta 5-cyl

Key will not turn to shut engine off, turn key forward like starting car, then release key so it springs back and remove key. Defect, could not shut car off while pumping gas, had to wait till I was home to lookup on internet how to turn key off.

- Hillsborough, NC, USA

Mar 282013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

Engine light and ECM (engine control malfunction) light both come on. Have taken this new car in 6 times in 2 years, and the lights are on, yet again. After VW replaced sensors (four times), and wiring (module), and harness....all under warranty, this is still a problem. And I do not know if it is a safety defect or not. I want to know that before a crash, fire, or fatality happens. Please....if this is happening to your vehicle, make it known to this site. Thanks.

- Alto, GA, USA

Mar 112014

Jetta 4-cyl

Approached a red light - was 2nd car from light. Just as I stopped the light changed to green and when I stepped on the gas to go the car cut off. This happened again about 5 days later and then today I was going slowly through a shopping complex parking lot and the engine cut off again. I had my car in for an oil change a few days after the 2nd incident and had them check it out but was told everything was ok. I was told about 8 or 9 mos ago there was a recall on the ECM and the dealer checked it out and assured me all was ok just like they assured me there was nothing wrong when they checked it out after the call stalled out on me.

- Venice, FL, USA

Aug 052013

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I had taken my vehicle to a new VW in el cajon, where I had a new issues pop up with my A/C. my A/C was not blowing as cold as it should have been. When driving I would notice my A/C go from cold to warm a lot. It would randomly do it all throughout the day, I was never getting constant cold air. I brought it in and notified the dealership of the issue and even pointed out a wire that seemed to me to be a odd because wire was showing, they told me don't worry we will take care of this issue. They did not do so they told me that they could not duplicate the issue and said everything was normal, even though I knew it was not because I was the one experiencing this issue. It seemed to me once again they did little as they could to actually help me and get this they supposedly did another multipoint inspection and did not say anything about my tires, something VW kearny mesa said to be cupped and feathered, but yet they did not catch this.

- Lemon Grove, CA, USA