3.2

2012 Volkswagen Jetta fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Volkswagen Jetta:

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 092014

Jetta 4-cyl

2012 VW Jetta sportwagen tdi had high pressure fuel pump hpfp catastrophic failure on the highway. Was able to coast without power to an off ramp. 1 week of repairs but the near collision issue is amazing.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 142013

Jetta 4-cyl

I drove the car to work win I get out of work start the car put in reverse and the car staled out cant star towed to the dealer I whose told at that time car have fuel contamination no warranty. Towed it home my husband check car found fuel filter sum metal rust change filter clean line and filter housing and all parts connected to fueling car start fine for a 3 months same ha pin did same now car staled as I whose driving with no start tow home an we are in contact with VW to see were this going. Culprit is hpfp.

- Glenwood, NJ, USA

Jul 072014

Jetta 4-cyl

Fuel tank filler door will not open. Defect in locking and release mechanism.

- Portland, OR, USA

Aug 292014

Jetta

My car is a 2012 VW Jetta tdi, clean diesel. I was driving from san diego ca to las vegas nv. It was over 100 degrees. I was traveling on interstate 15 North about 70 miles per hour. 80 miles from las vegas, glow light indicator came on, car lost power. I pulled over and car stalled, would not restart. Called VW, told them about the glow light indicator. They agreed to tow the car to lv. We sat on the road side for more than 4 hours in 100+ degree heat. VW repaired the car in 6 days, no cost to me except rental car. Cause was described as 'metal shavings in fuel system' later referred to as high pressure fuel pump failure. VW replaced the entire fuel system (injectors, lines, filter, fuel pump etc). However at this time I do not know if the same type of hpfp was used or a newly redesigned one. I am trying to clarify that. This is obviously a design flaw of some type. It can not be caused by bad fuel. The fuel filter would have caught any metal shavings. Any metal in the fuel downstream of the fuel filter had to come from the car itself. Not only that, having followed the recommended maintenance schedule for my car, my fuel filter was replaced at 20K miles. pics.tdiclub.com/data/516/2012_jetta.pdf similar complaint (NHTSA action number : EA11003) does not seem to cover 2012 models so I am filing this one instead.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 242014

Jetta

With no prior indication, the engine glow plug light began flashing while driving on the highway. Within few minutes, the engine light came on and car started to loose power. Engine noise pitch changed, and was able to pull the car of the main freeway and barely made it to the dealership. As soon as we made it to the dealer parking lot, the engine cut off. Diagnostic of the car showed that the car suffered a catastrophic hpfp failure which caused debris contamination throughout the entire fuel system. 4 days later, the engine had its hpfp, fuel lines, injectors, and auxiliary pump replaced. Fuel tank was flushed and cleaned out from debris. Cost under warranty was $5500. The dealer said that they've had 50 cars exhibiting similar conditions. Cause of the failure is under investigation by VW. As owners, we have no clues what to do or when this will re-occur again which does not give me ant sense of confidence. I always fill at the same chevron station so it is not the quality of the diesel.

- Cerritos, CA, USA

Jul 112014

Jetta

33,600 miles with no problems at all on VW tdi sportwagen. Los angeles to lake havasu, AZ Friday, afternoon July 11, 2014, 300 miles in 110 degree weather. Parked for 2 hours, drove to market. Glow plug light came on, engine stumbled, died, no restart. Walked to 2nd home. Next day - no start, called VW, towed 150 miles to las vegas, rented car in AZ for weekend and drive back to la. Lv VW dealer says "out of fuel". reply "impossible, only drove 300 miles". on Monday, dealer calls to say it may take a week, it is the fuel pump and he is working on getting coverage for work from VW. Reply "still under warranty, why wouldn't VW cover". no answer. On Wednesday calls to say have to order parts, metal particles in the fuel system, may be longer.(final count 11 days from failure to repair). With additional days on rental, out of state drop of fee, hotel room, etc. About $800 in outlay (not counting time to travel to las vegas to pick up car and back to la).

- Playa Del Rey, CA, USA

Mar 072013

Jetta

The contact owns a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated while driving various speeds, an unusual noise and vibration emitted outside of the vehicle. The failure occurred whenever the accelerator pedal was engaged. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who was unable to duplicate the problem. There was a recall related to the failure under the NHTSA campaign id number 11V490000 (fuel system, diesel) however, the VIN was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Lemon Grove , CA, USA

Apr 132013

Jetta

I purchased my car 1 year ago has approximately 27K on it now bought it with 1000 miles on it after a month after purchasing my vehicle I started in some wobbling rumbling noises coming from the left front of my car I took up a drive with the technician the technician heard the sound they had my car for four days didn't even give me a loaner and I missed school because so. After 4 days they came up with no conclusion he told me to bring it back when it gets worse I brought my car back several times and after everything look for the fifth time they told me that my tires are feathering I was wondering why they tell me that now I'm not after the first two times. I then took it to the tire dealership and several other second party dealerships when they told me my tires are fine along with one of the Volkswagen dealerships. I am now having performance issues with my excelerator hesitated it seems like it's gurgling and seeming to have troubles accelerating now. My miles per gallon has dropped from 42 to 38. I am here in a whoooing noise when I'm returning the wheel all the way right and reversing and it's coming from the left side left front side where the original noise was, VW told me it's normal. I'm also hearing the same issues must like everybody else's with this car with accelerating I'm hearing weird cranking noise through the ac vent which is a normal at high RPM's. just recently I had a put my foot all the way down to the four with my brakes to stop the car and I don't know why. I'm also hearing the same issues like everybody else with my windows it's really not loud and noisy after about 50 mph. The dealership is yet to come up with clear answer to my issues they just told me to buy tires and they weren't even sure if the new tires would fix the issue or not. They also tell me I won't be covered in the future if something happens. VW needs to be investigate.

- Lemon Grove, CA, USA

Aug 072013

Jetta

As I accelerate to merge onto the freeway, I suddenly realized that I didn't have any power to speak of, which was quite alarming. This had never happened before. I was able to gain enough speed to get on the freeway, but I instantly turned on my hazard lights realizing that I could not gain enough speed to keep up with the flow of traffic. Shortly thereafter, my glow plug light came on, and I drove my car 1 mile to the nearest off ramp. When I came to a complete stop my engine light came on, and I drove 1 mile to my scheduled doctor's appointment. I parked my Jetta with plans to address the matter after my appointment. When I returned to my car, it would not start, and I called aaa to tow my car to the nearest VW dealership. As I mentioned, this had never happened before, and I was in absolute shock because I love my clean diesel, and I have encouraged 4 other friends to buy the exact same model!!! after leaving the car at the VW dealership, I began to do some research online about the issues people are having with the Bosch high pressure fuel pumps in the VW clean diesels. Honestly, this has deeply changed how I feel about my car, and worries me greatly! it is incredibly dangerous to have a car completely lose power! :( from what I understand, VW is "suggesting" that hundreds of people have put gas in their diesel engines. My husband has had a Jetta diesel wagon for 12 years and has over 200, 000 miles on it, so we are well versed in the use of diesel. We have never put gasoline in our diesel cars!!! we are incredibly disappointed in the way VW is handling this issue. To suggest that hundreds of loyal, devoted diesel fans that have purchased their cars are at fault is an enormous mistake, as is suggesting that consumers are not buying "quality diesel." Take that up with the refineries and gas stations, Volkswagen, not your loyal customers.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Apr 122013

Jetta

I was on an approximately 6 hour road trip. Approximately 100 miles from my home, my 2012 Volkswagen Jetta tdi was being driven at approximately 70 mph on the highway. The glow plug light on the instrument cluster began flashing. Vehicle then went into "limp mode", slowing to approximately 45 mph on the highway. I was able to make it to the next exit off the highway, and come to a stop at the off ramp stop sign. The vehicle then stalled, and would not restart. This left my wife and I stranded 100 miles from home. Vehicle was towed back to the dealership, where the vehicle was purchased. Mechanic at dealership stated the high pressure fuel pump "exploded", sending metal shards throughout the vehicle's fuel system. Dealership states this may be caused by "contaminated fuel". a small amount of online research revealed this is a common problem with Volkswagen tdi engines.

- Arlington, TN, USA

Jan 282013

Jetta 4-cyl

Driving at 45 mph city highway speed, in traffic, & stopped at a red light. Light turned green, accelerated, car suddenly lost power & warning light came on. Turned onto a side street, turned off engine & looked up the warning light in the owner's manual. "engine pre-heat" warning, solid, not flashing. Restarted car, light was out, resumed normal travel on highway, but light came back on and check engine light also came on. Both solid. Contacted dealer & was told to bring in the car. During trip to dealer glow plug light resumed flashing & car lost power on hills. Tech removed fuel filter, found metal filings, said hpfp had failed & filled fuel system with metal particles. Repairs estimated @ >$7,000. Dealer originally said repairs would be covered under warranty, then 2 days later said they would not be covered under warranty. No possibility of gasoline contamination. Purchased car expressly to fuel it with 100% vegetable oil based biodiesel. Dealer knew intent & sold the car for this express purpose. Still working with dealer & VW to resolve warranty issues.

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Jun 262012

Jetta

After less than 3 minutes of operation, the vehicle can stall under a specific set of circumstances. The incidences (13 and counting in 2 months) always occur when in second or third gear at ~30-35 mpg. The driver is slowing down (as to stop at a red light) and then accelerates (light changes to green). About 2-3 seconds after acceleration begins the engine stalls and must be restarted. The engine just cuts out during acceleration.

- Burnsville, MN, USA

Jul 232012

Jetta

High pressure fuel pump failed. Took to dealer and they repaired and said they are having problems with them.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Jun 042012

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

When fueling with diesel, some diesel pump handles don't fit into fill nozzle. While attempting to refuel vehicle. Fuel will spilled over onto person filling, ground and vehicle. You are unable to safely fill vehicle without spilling fuel.

- Humboldt, SD, USA