2012 Volkswagen Jetta fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Volkswagen Jetta:

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 152016

The turbo on my 2012 Jetta sportwagon has failed at 89,000 miles and VW would not fix it. It cost me $3000 to fix. The particulate filter was dirtied as a result of the failure and VW will not replace it. It will cost me $2000 to fix it. I want full value for the car plus my $3000 back to fix the turbo. The turbo failed five months after VW completed the mandatory "service software update" required to get an approved smog check.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Apr 042016

Had car in for new tires and after I left the mileage went from mid 40S to mid 30S, no engine service light, no partical filter light, returned to dealer and didn't offer to check it. 24,000 miles. Is this something to do with dieselgate?

- Howards Grove, WI, USA

Feb 022016

On an afternoon in early February 2016, my 2012 VW Jetta tdi went into 'limp' mode after starting it and driving for less than two minutes out of my workplace parking lot. I was barely able to get it to the side of the road and stop, when it died completely and would not start again. The glow plug dash light came on. I had it towed to the dealer the next day and they diagnosed that the high pressure fuel pump (hpfp) had failed, blowing, metal shards throughout the entire fuel system. They performed a diesel fuel test, which 'passed', so all repairs were covered under warranty. The car had 53,000 miles on it at that point. Parts alone would have cost nearly $4000, and I was not shown what the labor costs would have been! I then discovered that this is a 'known' issue but not under recall, only an extended warranty period. Having the complete loss of power that limp mode resulted in, and being stranded for hours waiting for a tow, made me reconsider my purchase decision for this vehicle. I am very glad I was not on the freeway, as the failure could have been deadly in that driving environment. With the current diesel emissions scandal ongoing, I am 'stuck' with this vehicle, unless I want to take a drastic hit on private resale value; no one will take it in trade. This is a very dangerous problem that needs better resolution.

- Cortaro, AZ, USA

Apr 132016

My first concern is the seat belt warning light will not stop making an alarm noise. My seat belt is plugged in, and the alarm will not stop and the dashboard views it as un plugged as well. Clearly, it was plugged in. I tried to take it out, inserting it back in slow and fast. Neither was acknowledged by the system. Am I even safe"?? second, there is some sort of delay while driving. I just purchased the car in December 2015. In March 2016, the car has some sort of delay while I'm driving. Not during deceleration or acceleration. But in the 40 -50 mph range. I realize, maybe it has something to do with the turbo injection. It has started happening again sporadically a month later.... ??? please help with clarity on this issue. Is there fuel injection issues with tdi" okw

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Feb 232016

For over a year, my car was having hesitation issues. I kept calling my dealer and going in for regular service. At one point, my car started but then turned off two times. I kept getting different stories..."unable to replicate", "a faulty valve, code P2004." On my way to work 2/23/16, my car lost power on acceleration. The check engine light and the coil (tdi) light came on. I pulled over and turned off the car and waited. Then started the car again, began driving, and it happened again. I called the tow truck. Dealer service manager (fitzgerald - andrew) gave me the run around -- telling me that I put contaminated fuel in my car. I called sunoco and my, geico, immediately. The most upsetting part of all of this was how andrew approached the problem, exaggerated my involvement in it and arrogantly used his position to show blame to me -- never explaining this is an extended recall and why! I am now getting my fuel pump fixed under the warranty. But.... this should be a recall now. I know that this problem was on-going for me for a whole year, and I believe that it has damaged my car, and I cannot prove this. Please save other owners and recall this part.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Nov 252015

I was driving on a county road when I began to lose power. There was traffic behind me. My car began to shake and make a loud knocking sound as it countinued to coast. As soon as I was able to begin to pull to the shoulder, my car completely and violently died. It would not restart, leaving me stranded and causing upcoming traffic to avoid me. The dealership states it is high pressure fuel pump failure. The analysis of fuel shows a lubricity failure, which the dealership stated was due to metal shavings. It was negative for gasoline and has not been mis-fueled. There has been multiple reports of these failures, which cause the metal shavings to contaminate the fuel system. VW has extended coverage to these pumps, but does not take responsibility for the ongoing failures. "not passing the lubricity test" which appears to be caused from the pump failure itself, voids the extended coverage, causing thousands of dollars in repairs.

- Elba, AL, USA

Aug 212015

A woman and a young child departed a preschool on a clear, dry day. The vehicle shut down in the middle of the street 250 feet from the preschool without warning or any sign of trouble. The vehicle had run well to date. The driver attempted multiple times to restart the vehicle, but it shut down again within two seconds of starting. A good samaritan pushed the vehicle to the curb. The vehicle was towed to a Volkswagen dealer, where it was determined that the cause was diesel fuel system failure, necessitating total replacement. The fuel system in this make and model is a known problem, for which an extended warranty applies to 120,000 miles. The dealer had a fuel sample tested for contamination. Results were all statistically significantly within VW specifications. Volkswagen contends, however, that the fuel sample failed the test due to its own rounding error and refuses to honor its extended warranty.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Aug 232015

I have a 2012 Jetta tdi that is now just out of bumper to bumper warranty, except the 10yr/120K coverage extended on the known poorly designed hpfp (investigated in NHTSA action PE10034). I do a fuel filter change early 15K from the last dealer change at 44500 miles... and I find metal particles in the fuel filter. This is not normal, and indication of wear, and source is almost certainly the hpfp cam and roller/piston which is lubricated and cooled by diesel fuel recirculated to the filter via bypass, and some of this ends up in the fuel tank, and worse can end up in the injectors causing injector failure, even possible burned piston heads and catastrophic engine damage. I assume the path forward is document my findings, I did this with high resolution digital pictures, printed for the dealer, and a pristine white rag turned grey with metal filings, along with the old filter delivered for their inspection (I even provided the vcds diagnostic print out for the vehicles self-diagnosis). Since I did the filter change, and about 100 miles and one day later, there is no more evidence of these metal particles in the system.. the dealer service department tried, VW would not authorize a pump replacement.. so I called and VW explained the situation to them, they did not bother to record name or VIN, clearly not interested in "customer care". official VW policy seems to be to ignore the metal filings and the customer, they offer a bogus explanation that metal filings could come from fill nozzles, or some other source (unlikely, I also own a diesel truck, and with longer service time, with more fuel used, there were no metal particles at nearly 30K miles. I now have a car I can't trust, knowing the hpfp can suddenly fail without warning and leave my family stranded, even cause an accident if it happens in a busy interstate, or when pulling into traffic.

- Port Orchard, WA, USA

Aug 032015

Car lost all power and would not restart.I was driving about 55mph on a rural road, thankfully there was not a lot of traffic at the time the car failed. The glow plug light started flashing as the engine was losing power. There was no warning that the car would fail like this. I was able to pull off the the road in neutral. I suspected a high pressure fuel pump failure since VW had just sent out a letter notifying me that the warranty on that part had been extended to 120K miles. After it was towed to the dealership, they confirmed it was a hpfp failure and I am waiting to find out if VW will cover the repair. Was told that this failure caused damage to the entire fuel system ($8,800usd). I do not see how VW can put a car on the road with a part that could potentially fail and cause this much damage.

- Roscoe, IL, USA

Jul 132015

While driving the Jetta tdi at 35 mph, all of a sudden dash lights flashed on and off and car stalled. We were able to steer car to side of road. The car would not turn over and was towed to local VW dealership. It was diagnosed with hpfp failure and the metal had contaminated my entire system and needed costly repair. Fuel was sent for testing, and when verified that it was not owner negligence VW repaired the car. The wait was almost 2 weeks.

- Madison, SD, USA

Jun 102015

The car is a 2012 Jetta sportwagon tdi. It has received all appropriate service and maintenance, and only diesel fuel has been used in the car. There was approximately 1/2 tank of diesel left when the incident occurred. While driving on a residential street, the glow plug warning light began to flash. Approximately 30 seconds later the engine began to lose power, and within two minutes died completely. I was able to coast to the curb and park, but the car would not start again. An inspection by a certified mechanic found metal shavings throughout the fuel/propulsion system, and diagnosed a blown high pressure fuel pump. This is a known issue with VW tdi engines.

- Valejo, CA, USA

Jun 082015

Check engine light came on and while driving to dealer for service the car engine failed completely while driving at 60 mph on freeway. Car had no propulsion and came to a rolling stop. Unable to restart car. Towed to VW dealer and they said VW tdi fuel pumps have had issues and could fail. Luckily nobody was injured but could have been very dangerous as engine shut down immediately and failed completely while on freeway. I was very shaken by the incident and was unable to move all the way to side of freeway. Still do not have car back and VW dealer indicated it would be a large repair

- Marina Del Rey, CA, USA

Nov 072013

Vehicle engine (Jetta 2.0 tdi) abruptly stalled and would not restart. The dealer stated that the high pressure fuel pump had failed; and had disintegrated in a fashion that the debris had contaminated the entire fuel system. Fuel tank, lines and injection system were cleaned, fuel pump and filters were replaced. However, the vehicle has still experienced intermittent stalling problems ever since this warranty repair, and the dealer has been unable to resolve after numerous attempts. The vehicle has been (and currently remains) at the dealer for 33 of the past 40 days.

- Forest Park, IL, USA

Feb 092015

During February, the 2012 VW tdi Jetta sportwagen with 59,7000 miles stalled twice when trying to start the vehicle. On the third start the vehicle started but the glow plug light was flashing and the car would not accelerate to more than 45 mph. The vehicle limped to the dealership, who found metal flakes in the fuel filter and stated that the in-tank fuel pump had failed. The in-tank fuel pump was replaced and the fuel system was apparently cleared of metal. At 63,000 miles, the glow plug light began to flash while at highway speed and the vehicle began to lose power. I got the vehicle to an exit, stopped it, turned the vehicle off and restarted. The glow plug light was no longer flashing and the car was drivable although it was lacking some acceleration and there was a moan/whine noise coming from the engine. Got the car back to the dealership and learned that the high pressure fuel pump has failed and that the entire fuel system needs to be replaced. There is no mis-fueling issue, and diesel receipts are kept at fill up.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 102015

2012 Volkswagen sportwagen tdi. When traveling on the freeway 4/11/15 glow plug light began blinking, we noticed an immediately significant loss of power. At this moment we were traveling on a two lane freeway that happened to have one lane blocked. Vehicles immediately began stacking up behind us. After pulling off the freeway attempted to stop and restart the engine, we had a very difficult time restarting the motor. Was able to drive back to the dealership, however had a significant reduction in power, safety was a concern and was very worried that the vehicle would stall while on the freeway. Because of this we pulled off the freeway and continued to limp towards the dealership on local roads. There was so much reduction in power than driving up a small hill almost brought the vehicle to a stop. Dealership accused us of fueling the vehicle with gas instead of diesel, gas station was able to produce a receipt showing that we had filled the vehicle with diesel. However, VW is covering the repair, and vehicle is ready to be picked up 4/16/15. Did not feel that the fuel pump failure had anything to do with misfueling, and while VW is covering the repair, it appears that this issue is a well documented failure with VW. We do feel that our safety could have been compromised with this failure.

- Bixby, OK, USA

Mar 132015

Was driving 40 and was heading down a hill and was coming to a stop when my 2012 VW Jetta sportswagen power flickered, coil light (glow light) came on, it made a loud noise and died. I was unable to move it, could of been a bad situation. Thankfully VW dealership service gave me a number to a local towing company. I was quickly towed to dealership. It sounds like so many others have had this problem. Waiting to hear official diagnostics.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Mar 032015

While driving in the freeway at speed of 20 mph due to highway traffic, I smelled diesel fuel through the air vents. The vehicle suddenly began to loose power and the pedal was not functional completely after, the vehicle shut off and stalled on the highway. The mil (malfunction indicator lamp) and battery dash warning lights came on. The car would not start over and was towed out of the highway. I noticed there was a diesel fuel leak underneath the vehicle. The car was then towed to a Volkswagen dealer and diagnosis were made resulting in fuel pump replacement.

- Lynwood , CA, USA

Nov 042014

Car ceased to continue acceleration while in motion. Dealer assessment concluded particulates in diesel fuel line caused failure to fuel pump and related components. Dealer service department advised that particulates likely originated from diesel fuel storage tanks at gas station. Vehicle was still covered under manufacturer's 50K power train warranty and fuel pump and related parts were replaced at no charge.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Oct 112014

While driving on the interstate at 70 mph in the middle lane of three lanes at approximately 10:00 pm through light rain the glow plug indicator on the dash began to flash. Then the engine lost power. I pulled to the emergency lane where the car lost all engine power and would not restart. This all occurred within 20-25 seconds and we were lucky to be able to make it to emergency lane. We have since had the vehicle towed to a VW dealer where they replaced the entire fuel system which was under warranty. After researching this high pressure fuel pump problem most fellow VW owner recommended that I file a complaint.

- Glasgow, KY, USA

May 092014

Jetta 4-cyl

2012 VW Jetta sportwagen tdi had high pressure fuel pump hpfp catastrophic failure on the highway. Was able to coast without power to an off ramp. 1 week of repairs but the near collision issue is amazing.

- Austin, TX, USA