2012 Volkswagen Jetta seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Volkswagen Jetta:

2012 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Jun 302016

Jetta

The contact owned a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta. Another vehicle crashed into the front passenger side of the contact's vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained injuries to the left foot, left knee, and left arm. The passenger sustained injuries to the chest, arms, and left leg that required medical attention. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V483000 (air bags). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Sep 022016

Jetta

I was turning a blind 90 degree corner on my private road going approx. 10-15 miles per hour when I collided with my roommate who was returning home. Unfortunately we were at the same place at the same time and couldn't see each other. My airbags deployed and when they did, the driver's airbag cover (where the VW logo is) on the center steering column, flapped open and over onto my left forearm like a super hot branding iron. The VW logo both seared into and cut into my arm. I will most likely be scarred for life. I feel that this metal VW logo in the center of the steering wheel is a dangerous situation waiting to happen.

- Traverse City, MI, USA

Apr 152016

Jetta

Car's fuse # 6 keeps blowing which controls the back lights that turns on at night, when fuse blows lights on back go out and cars behind you can't see you and may cause a collision where serious injury and death may result. I think this an engineering flaw where they connected the back lights to other modules in the car, so the short remains and car is not safe to drive at night fuse keeps blowing every time you put a new one in VW is not willing to look at the problem and give me a solution, the short is not in any of the lights on the back of the car, or inside the car, VW is refusing to give me the schematic diagram for that circuit so we can trace the problem, they insist on taking it to the dealer where it is going to be a very expensive fix to track down the short where it is an engineering flaw. Also the air bags warning lights come on intermittently, and seat belts warning lights come on and start chiming while you have seat belts on and properly fastened, do not know if seat belt or airbags are defective which is very unsafe in my opinion, and VW refuses to look at my problem without a hefty dealer charge. Please help

- Jamestown, NC, USA

Aug 052015

Jetta

The contact owns a 2012 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle in front suddenly stopped without warning causing the contact to crash into the rear end of the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Berlin, MD, USA

Jun 262015

Jetta

The vehicle was being backed out of a driveway into the roadway when the horn began to sound continuously and the airbag warning light illuminated. The vehicle needed to be turned off completely to stop the horn. Subsequently, the horn sounds whenever the ignition is engaged sometimes stopping once the engine turns on, sometimes not. Once started the vehicle is driveable but the airbag warning light is illuminated, the horn on the steering wheel is inoperable and the steering wheel controls are inoperable. The vehicle was taken to a Volkswagen dealership and diagnosed with a faulty clock spring that requires replacement. The incident appears to be similar to that described in NHTSA investigation PE 15-010.

- Saxtons River, VT, USA

Jun 182014

Jetta 4-cyl Diesel

I went to passenger side of parked vehicle, opened door, and adjusted seat position backwards slightly. The next morning I started car and after several miles of driving, the solid (non-blinking) airbag light came on. I called 2 dealers in area who told me to bring it in immediately for a $900 to $1000 repair. I had fault diagnosed by professional as a passenger side curtain airbag fault to the igniter - short to ground. I will not pay for this repair which is obviously a defective part that should be recalled. My airbag system is now deactivated.

- Chesterton, IN, USA

Jun 092014

Jetta 4-cyl

The clock spring in the steering wheel failed. Also referred to as the steering column electronic control module. The failure illuminated the airbag warning light and all the steering wheel switches and horn stopped working. It was just over the 50,000 mi warranty so dealer would not repair.

- Purchase, NY, USA

Feb 182012

Jetta 4-cyl

I was sold a brand new 2012 Volkswagen Jetta without a passenger airbag. Additionally, there were multiple other defects with the vehicle, and by definition, I was sold a lemon. I've tried bringing the vehicle back to the dealership on multiple occasions to repair the problems, and they have yet to be able to correct the issues. The dealership installed a new airbag which has malfunctioned on more than a few occasions, resulting in the airbag light coming on and causing faults in the terminals leading to the tail lights and shorts in the dashboard.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Sep 232011

Jetta 4-cyl

At approximately 425 miles, the vehicle airbag system is now malfunctioning (airbag system lights and error) out of nowhere requiring in depth diagnosis by the manufacturer.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA