Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: VW updated the Jetta's interior and added new features like backup cameras to certain trims. Time will tell if these adjustments start falling apart.

2013 Volkswagen Jetta brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Volkswagen Jetta:

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Aug 242016

Brakes do not respond properly

- Hightstown, NJ, USA

Aug 032016

My car displays no problems on the dash, there are no lights on but when I am driving the car stalls and sometimes just shuts off locking my brakes and steering. Usually happens when the car is going under 20mph. After it shuts of I have to put it in park to restart and it restarts without a problem.

- Eagle Mountain, UT, USA

Jul 132015

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving 15 mph, the brakes failed and the contact's vehicle rear ended the preceding vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact was not injured and a police report was filed. The vehicle was taken to a certified independent mechanic and the body damage was repaired. In addition, when the vehicle was in park or reverse, it would jerk. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Aug 202013

The contact owns a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving 85 mph, the electrical board became inoperable and the brakes seized. All of the indicators on the instrument panel illuminated. The engine stalled and the vehicle was towed. The dealer stated that the safety pin that was connected to the electrical board was not fully engaged. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000.

- New York, NY, USA

Jun 172014

Jetta 5-cyl

I went through some water (not much) andthen when I came to a stop light I stopped the car. After less than a minute of being stopped the car stalled and the battery light came on. The battery is new and I just purchased this car in December 2013 and it is a year model 2013. I have never had any issues until now. I went to turn a corner and the light came back on, car stalled, and steering became very tight. I am not sure what this issue is, but the car is only about a year old (if even that). Very frustrating.

- Longview, TX, USA

May 042014

Attempted to use my brake pedal and it didn't stop the car. Upon the second or third pump, it did finally engage. This delay in the brake caused me to run a stop sign. I was lucky no one was around.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jan 032014

The contact rented a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds and attempting to stop for traffic, the braking system failed to engage and caused the brake pedal to become stuck to the floorboard. The contact crashed into the rear of another vehicle. There were no injuries and no police report. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 13,857. The VIN was not available.

- Egewood , NM, USA

Sep 072013

Jetta 4-cyl

When driving my Jetta in "S" (sport selection on the transmission) on a surface street I came to a red light. I started braking and the brakes felt spongy and unresponsive. I tried pressing on the brake pedal with more force but was not getting much braking response. The vehicle took a very long distance to respond compared to its response time when in "D" (drive selection on the transmission). Lucky I am an early barker and there was not a car in front of me so the vehicle only went into the intersection a short distance before it stopped. When finally at a stop I kept steady pressure on the brake pedal. After a few seconds of being at a complete stop I noticed the brake pedal was sinking towards the floor board. It felt like it does when you are bleeding air out of the lines. While at the stop the brake pedal sank further, at first slowly, and then with one final quick movement the brake pedal sank completely to the floor board of the car. The only time I have ever experienced this type of brake activity is with older cars when one is performing the task of bleeding the brakes. If I had been tapped from behind the car would have been sent into the intersection. During this incident I noticed that the tachometer was running at 900 RPM even though the car was at a "complete", or better stated, the brake was pressed all the way to the floor, with no additional braking pressure available. I feel very unsure and unsafe when I go to use my brakes and have to allow several extra car lengths in front of me to ensure that I am able to stop the vehicle in time.

- Fallbrook, CA, USA