2014 Volkswagen Jetta brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Volkswagen Jetta:

2014 Volkswagen Jetta Owner Comments

Aug 042015

Jetta

On Tuesday, August 4, 2015, I was driving my leased 2014 Jetta with my 1 year old baby, when my brakes completely locked up. Unfortunately, at the time, we happened to be at a stop sign on a steep hill about a half a block from our house. As I began rolling backwards down the hill trying to do everything I could think of in that moment of sheer panic, I truly did not think the outcome was going to be good. Thankfully after about fifteen seconds of no brakes whatsoever, they finally popped back on. I lease this Jetta, so I had it towed for free to a dealership where I obviously have to get all of the work done. They called to let me know that my one year old car had faulty wheel bearings and it was causing the computer to get confused and therefore making my brakes seize up. My car is 1 year old and has 14,000 miles on it with no other symptoms and/or noises that would signify bad wheel bearings. Which made it even weirder is I called my old Volkswagen dealership (I just moved a month ago) and I asked him if it could indeed be my wheel bearings. He said it was extremely unlikely and that if it were, my brakes probably wouldn't have popped back on. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but this all is so fishy to me. I feel like they be covering up and/or misdiagnosing the car to avoid a possible law suit because my brakes failed. I'm terrified to get back in the car even after they've "fixed" it.

- Warrenton, VA, USA

Jul 052015

Jetta

On July 5, 2015, the clutch failed. The clutch was depressed to downshift the car as we were approaching a turnpike off ramp. The gear selector was moved out of top gear and into neutral; the clutch would not return, and the gear selector would not move out of neutral. The car had to be maneuvered through traffic from the far left lane to the rights-side shoulder, in neutral. This put my family and everyone around us at risk of serious injury. There was no degradation of clutch system performance. This clutch failure came suddenly and without warning. I have read comments from others online who have experienced similar issues. Several months ago, the brake booster needed to be replaced. The dealership service manager suggested that the clutch issue could be related to the brake booster issue. My wife and I have driven manual transmission cars for years. This is the first clutch-related problem we've ever experienced. Update 9/15/15

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

May 022015

Jetta

Parking the car in parking space. Car made extremely loud noise (like a backfire) and then auto accelerated. Tried hitting the brake but brake did not decompress. Hit a parked car in front of me.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Dec 202014

Jetta 4-cyl

When driving at highway speeds the brakes seem increasingly ineffective. I was in a fender bender due to weak braking in an emergency situation going approximately 60mph at a seemingly reasonable distance. There were absolutely no skid marks or tire squeals. It seemed that the harder I pressed the brake pedal the less effective the brakes were and I believe that brake pedal actually hit the floor. I have noticed the brakes felt spongy before when braking heavy. I have also noticed that when the car sits for an extended period of time the brake pedal feels rock hard for a little while after starting up. Does not feel safe!

- Wichita, KS, USA

Sep 152014

Jetta 4-cyl

This issue now occurs every day. This vehicle has push button start, which means the brake pedal must be depressed before attempting to start the vehicle. When attempting to start the vehicle after it has been sitting for more than 3 hours, the brake pedal is extremely difficult to depress as there is pressure built up in the brake system. On the first dealer visit, the brake booster check valve was replaced under warranty. On the second visit, after sitting for a week, the dealer made no repairs and gave the vehicle back. They advised this is normal operation, to which I said it was not as this did not occur when vehicle was leased until about a month ago. VW corporate was involved, which proved to be a lost cause, as they sided with the dealer. If someone were to try and start this vehicle and they were of smaller stature, they most likely would be unable to do so.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Oct 132014

Jetta 4-cyl

I bought a 2014 new Jetta SE. But this vehicle sits in VW dealership for entire first month. Last week, I had a fender-bender accident on local highway due to brake problem. Two claims involved in this case: 1. brake hard like rock when I try to start the vehicle in the morning. I could not start the engine. 2. when I drive on the 50 mile speed limit high way, I could not stop the car due to weak brake system. It took extra long deep stroke to stop the vehicle and took extra long distance to stop. Also I could not do emergency stop if some cuts in front of me. Weak weak weak brake..... I drove for more than 20 years, I have never had such experience. It is an unsafe car! my wife now refuse to drive it. I took this vehicle to VW dealership and they find out problem with car (faulty booster and master cylinder). They changed the components and system twice, and now condition is the same. VW technical service went to dealership, and they told my dealer that this vehicle is safe..... I am very shock on this conclusion. Please investigate on this vehicle brake system. I don't want other VW Jetta drive have the same problem, risked life for a faulty system, and I must voice it out to warn my fellow Jetta driver: Be careful!

- Canton, MI, USA

Feb 192014

Jetta

The contact owns a 2014 Volkswagen Jetta. While driving 15 mph, the contact heard a loud abnormal noise coming from the brakes. The dealer stated that the brakes were functioning normally. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 6,500.

- Meridian, ID, USA